Answering prompts

• 4 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

When, using my Samsung phone to call a company with an automatic answering service, I cannot get the service to recognize my responses.  For example when asked to  “Press 1 for Yes”., my pressing the requested number isn’t noted by the service and I can’t continue to access any part of the system.  How can I set the phone to make recognizable responses?

HeavenM 10 months ago

Those responses during phone calls are called DTMF or sometimes call “touch tones”. Touch tones don’t normally work on conference calls. I don’t think you are doing this only on conference calls, but I wanted to just mention to be thorough. It sounds like your screen is working so you can select “1”, but the automated systems are not recognizing that a response has been made. There are a few steps to take to fix this. 

1. Turn off audible touch tones. Settings > Sounds (or Sound and Display) > verify the check box is NOT checked for Audible Touch Tones, Key Tones, Dial Pad Touch Tones (or similar names)
  2. Update your device software and all apps. 
  3. Use the Recovery Mode screen to wipe the cache partition of your phone. https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/recovery-mode-wipe-device-with-keys 

If you go through these steps and are automated systems are still not recognizing your responses, you should reach out to our customer support team to have a ticket filed for the DTMF failures. 

Hope this helps. 

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try going into your phone's dialer, then serrings to see if the vibration and haptic settings is turned on.

Badge

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Those responses during phone calls are called DTMF or sometimes call “touch tones”. Touch tones don’t normally work on conference calls. I don’t think you are doing this only on conference calls, but I wanted to just mention to be thorough. It sounds like your screen is working so you can select “1”, but the automated systems are not recognizing that a response has been made. There are a few steps to take to fix this. 

1. Turn off audible touch tones. Settings > Sounds (or Sound and Display) > verify the check box is NOT checked for Audible Touch Tones, Key Tones, Dial Pad Touch Tones (or similar names)
  2. Update your device software and all apps. 
  3. Use the Recovery Mode screen to wipe the cache partition of your phone. https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/recovery-mode-wipe-device-with-keys 

If you go through these steps and are automated systems are still not recognizing your responses, you should reach out to our customer support team to have a ticket filed for the DTMF failures. 

Hope this helps. 

Badge

Thanks, I believe we are OK now

Badge

I work for a medical clinic and we have thousands of patients that have this issue with T-Mobile when calling us. We have put in several tickets and were told there was “no issue found with the network”, then we were told it was an “iphone specific issue”. So far I can duplicate this issue on both Android and iPhone, but it only happens with T-Mobile, no other carriers that we can get to duplicate, so its NOT iPhone specific. Any ideas?