Solved

Any one else getting "Configuration Notification" messages?

I keep receiving sms messages from short code number with the following text:
Configuration Notification. Your MMS Service Settings have arrived. Open the configuration message and save the settings.
the messages never contain settings  or an attachment which I would not have trusted anyways

I have received them from the following short codes: 909, 5129, 5126, 5128, 5127. I'm using a one plus 3t and I have verified I am using the correct messaging settings as per https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2090

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 17 August 2018, 17:03

View original

89 replies

I have the same phone and am going crazy cos of these messages. I am getting like 20 messages a day! I chatted with the T-Mobile customer care and they said it's got nothing to do with their network. As per them these messages are sent by the phone manufacturer.

I am also getting hammered by these messages for the past few days, and also have a OP3T.

I am having this exact same issue from my OP 3. Do you have WiFi calling enabled? I'm worried its a protocol issue between what tmobile is using vs OP.

I have wifi calling disabled on my device.

Same here, OnePlus 3 with WiFi Calling disabled. Enabling WiFi calling shuts it up for me.

I am going crazy with these messages. I have a custom rom and I could not find wifi enabling feature on it.

I've enabled wifi calling lastnight, however I got a fresh batch of them today. I'll see if it might settle this down after a day or so.

Userlevel 3

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for putting this on our radar -- this is the first I've heard of the issue going on specifically with the HTC OPT3. It sounds like enabling/disabling WiFi calling has helped, is that right? Please keep me updated so I can pass along this information.

the OP3T is from OnePlus, not HTC.

And unfortunately no, enabling/disabling wifi calling is not stopping the messages.

I've had wifi calling off for several days and still get ~6 of these messages per day from short code 5125, 5127, 5129.

That's correct, not wifi calling related as was suggested. I am still getting these messages from the same numbers after enabling wifi calling for a few days as I had previously had this disabled. I'm not sure what other information would be useful to troubleshoot this.

I'm getting a ton of these as well. Wifi calling enabled or disabled doesn't matter.

One plus3t as well.

I received the first one on July 9th and similarly receive many messages a day. I had activated a second sim card (Indian carrier) and when I deactivated the messages started.

OnePlus 3T

5129, 5127

Ugh.. 7 of these in the last half hour.  How to make it stop.. considering a factory reset later today.

I factory reset my OP3T before sending it in for repairs.  The first day I had it back was June 26 and I got two messages (5129 and 909).  Then none until July 11 when the bombardment began.  I don't know if it's relevant ,but I had traveled from Baltimore back to NC on July 10.  Furthermore, while my OP3T was getting repaired, I had my SIM card in another phone.  When I put the SIM back, I put it into SIM 2 rather than SIM 1.  Again, Idk if it's relevant.  I'll try switching it back to SIM 1 later today to see if that helps.  I'm also using the default app for SMS.  Hopefully somebody can figure this out bc it's annoying !

Hi Amanda,

Can T-Moble assist us with identifying the source of these messages? They all seem to be coming from the same sms short codes, if we could identify who may own them it may be helpful. If any additional information is required please let me know.

Thanks,

Jason

FWIW,

- I'm also in NC

- SIM in SIM2

- recently switched to the new google messages (so I could access over the web)

- Have turned Wifi Calling on/off with no clear effect

- Have disabled VoLTE with no obvious impact

Last night I switched my SIM from 2 to 1, and I haven't had any messages since.  Granted ,I usually only get them during working hours ,but that's none in six hours.  Hopefully it keeps up. 

I didn't change anything, but it's been 26 hours since I got the last message.  Fingers crossed that it stays off.

Userlevel 3

Thanks for the call out, @magenta5495288​! Why I thought it was by HTC? Got me!

Sorry for being MIA for a brief period. I could've sworn I replied back on Wednesday. I have a team looking into this and I have passed along all the info in the thread. If/when more info is needed, I'll be sure to let you guys know. In the meantime, if you find workarounds, please post them here as that'll not only help other users but will also help us find a more permanent solution to this.

I'm at 48 hours now without any more of these.

So the "spam" lasted for roughly a week and then stopped.

We still don't know where these came from... but for now I guess I am good.

They have stopped again for now but, I'm not confident that they will not be back. I have received these messages from 5125 since April but, only one at a time unlike this most recent wave of several a day. I've received one message from 5125 on these dates: April 24th, May 15th, June 4th, June 25th. Then, starting July 9th through the 18th they started coming several a day from multiple sms short codes.

Here's to hoping they don't come back again.

just started back up after 5 days of peace and quiet 😥

Yup.  Started up here again too.  Apparently switching from SIM2 to SIM1 did nothing.

I guess ting users--including at least one OP3T user--are having similar issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ting/comments/8beh64/i_got_about_8_of_these_messages_today_from/

I have Llama running, checking cell towers.  the messages may be related to when my phone connects to a "Cell: -1👎-1 No signal" tower. 

I have a OP3 and started receiving these messages. My wife has an Honor 8 and also started to get these messages. We have been T-Mobile customers for 5 days now and so far it's been less than stellar. A resolution to stop these messages would be much appreciated. All APN settings are correct according to T-Mobile support page so I don't know what's triggering this or why it took 5 days of service for it to kick in.