Question

App Selector, where did this app come from?

I'm a metro customer and I noticed this app appear out of nowhere. I don't download apps so I was wondering is this a virus or did this app come included in some kind of update? The app is called App Selector. App detail says app installed from com.tmobile.pr.adapt and app version 3.10.7.0

My phone is a LG Stylo 4 (LM-Q710MS)

21 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Apps can come from various different places, including websites when browsing the web from your device.  How it got there if you don't know, is anyone's guess.  However, it does seem to allow you to uninstall it.  Have you tried uninstalling it?  You might want to check your app permissions to see if any of the web browsers you are using have the ability to download and install apps.  On some devices, like my Xiaomi Mi MIX 3, LG V30, Samsung Note 9, and so on, the OEM and carrier have a system app to install apps they believe enhance your experience using the device.  Samsung's and LG's are fairly obvious.  Xiaomi's is pretty easy to spot as well, but others are fairly well hidden.  What device are you using?

It does appear to come from T-mobile since it says installed from "com.tmobile.pr.adapt". I'm a Metro by T-mobile customer though and doesn't seem like any T-mobile apps are present on my phone. Only metro apps although they are owned by T-mobile. I disabled all Carrier apps as soon as I got my phone months ago. (LG Stylo 4)

I'm unable to find "com.tmobile.pr.adapt" listed as an app or system app though even then I go through Settings -> apps & notification -> app info -> show system. So I'm unsure how this "App Selector" app got there and I'm unable to message T-mobile here on their website since I don't have a T-mobile phone number to ask them.

Just to make it clear it seems tmobile requires you to have a tmobile number to message them directly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Updates can re-enable carrier apps.  With T-Mobile rebranding Metro PCS to Metro by T-Mobile, it might have come in an update.  The app name doesn't mean it came from T-Mobile.  I can rename an app to whatever and install it.  The package name will show whatever it is named and has nothing to do with where it came from. Most apps though do have some hint in the package name as to what they are

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I agree. This must have come from an update sent from T-Mobile. After the rebranding, this doesn't surprise me you'd get something like that.

I'm curious why tmobile marked this as resolved when it hasn't been resolved at all? The same app showed up on my phone this week, and it clearly says it's from tmobile. If it is, what is it? If it isnt, then what is tmobile going to do about it, since it SAYS it is?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hey everyone!

I know the topic is about a Metro device but T-Mobile has this app too. Please check out our T-Mobile AppSelector | T-MOBILE SUPPORT page for more details. If you have any further questions, please ask. Thanks!

Badge +1

I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and App Selector keeps reinstalling itself even after doing a force stop and uninstall. 

What gives? This is an expensive phone and having self-installing bloatware is unacceptable. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Turn off auto update apps in the Play Store.  

Badge +1

This app isn't being installed from the Play Store, it's being pushed by T-Mobile the source is com.tmobile.pr.adapt

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

This app isn't being installed from the Play Store, it's being pushed by T-Mobile the source is com.tmobile.pr.adapt

That is the file name of the app.  Unless it is being installed through an OTA update package, which I doubt you are getting OTA’s every time you uninstall it.  It is coming from the Play Store.

Badge +1

That is the file name of the app.  Unless it is being installed through an OTA update package, which I doubt you are getting OTA’s every time you uninstall it.  It is coming from the Play Store.

As the OP shared the image of the app settings it shows that it wasn't installed by the play store, instead 

"App installed from com.tmobile.pr.adapt."

This is an app that installs T-Mobile programs on their handsets but it's only supposed to do this when you first receive the phone or do a factory reset. 

​​​​​​

The app is definitely not installed from the Play Store. It's being pushed to devices by T-Mobile, whether you like it or not. You can uninstall it, but it always reinstalls itself. That's not bloatware; it's MALware.

I've denied com.tmobile.pr.adapt all permissions. We'll see if that helps. Next step will be to deny all permissions to the T-Mobile app as well. Beyond that, rooting the phone will be the only certain solution. I'll update if what I've done so far kills the malware.

Was just informed by a T-Mobile "tech expert" that App Selector, and every app it forces on you, are "features" which cannot be removed. 

I just got a new phone. This "feature" caused me to freak out because I chose nothing and it started downloading a bunch of garbage apps on my brand new phone I've spent all day setting up. I called  support and they were of no help. Had me look in google play. I'm glad I found this thread cause I was sure it had been hacked. Good to know it will return if I uninstall it. I turned off my phone to stop the downloads and uninstalled them. 

Denying com.tmobile.pr.adapt all permissions didn't help. The App Selector installed itself again, and then proceeded to install three more apps without my permission. That's not a feature; that's malware. 

Today, I logged out of the T-Mobile app, denied it all permissions, and uninstalled all updates it had received. Then I deleted its data/cache storage.

Next step will be to use adb to kill all T-Mobile apps and services per a post I found on XDA Developers website.

This will be the last T-Mobile phone I buy.

I am reading this started out as spyware and is used to track you. Unbelievable. 

It's there because T-Mobile made deals with companies, like Facebook, to force their apps on customers. You have a snowball's chance in Hades that T-Mobile will care for you over Facebook. 

Everything I've done so far hasn't worked. So I finally followed the instructions on XDA Developers website to uninstall the malware app com.tmobile.pr.adapt, which is what's repeatedly downloading and reinstalling unwanted apps like Facebook. 

Their instructions worked, with slight modification, on a Windows 10 PC. The malware is uninstalled, which should in turn prevent App Selector from installing itself, and the countless apps IT then wants to install.

I'll update later if this step finally solves the issue. But so far, it's nice to not even see the malware in my Apps listing!

As the OP shared the image of the app settings it shows that it wasn't installed by the play store, instead 

"App installed from com.tmobile.pr.adapt."

This is an app that installs T-Mobile programs on their handsets but it's only supposed to do this when you first receive the phone or do a factory reset. 

Happy to report that uninstalling the "adapt" process seems to be working. Three days and counting!