Best way to mirror to a tv

So recently got a tv and bought Screenbeam. It works well for my LG G5 but when I connect it to my Tab S it works for about 20 mins then freezes on the tablet and the tablet reboots. The only Internet I have at home is via my phone and tablet. What is the best screen mirroring device that would work with my tab S? I've checked for updates for the tablet and configured the device. 

35 replies

Userlevel 7

I'd say that the best way to show a phone's screen on a TV is to buy a phone that supports a video output cable. I understand that current iPhones do this via an adapter and some phones have had micro-HDMI jacks on the side of the phone.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I have honestly found the best luck using a Chromecast.  I can send video to my TV from my Chrome desktop browser and my LG G4 and can also mirror the screen to the TV from my phone no issues.  Most all apps have a "cast" button and most Android phones (newer, mid-upper level) have an option to cast or mirror from the share and connect settings screen.

Userlevel 6

I second the casting idea.

In my world, I have Rokus that have apps with an acceptable interface to watch things as long as it's in the "suggested" section.  Searching [especially Youtube] is a PITA.

So, I cast from Youtube on my phone to the TV.  It's pretty sweet.  Even do it with music (Subsonic's smartphone app is billions of times better than the Roku app).

Although, rereading your post, it sounds to me that you probably don't have WiFi set up at home since you're saying the only internet is on your phone and tablet [I'm assuming data plans].  At that point, you need something that supports the HDMI option that @drnewcomb2‌ talks about.

I'm wondering if you can do tethering and casting together.  Set your phone (or tablet) up as a mobile hotspot and have your TV connect to it and cast that way.  If this is something you really want to know, I can try it when I get home tonight [if asked], or if one of the other folks in the forum knows, I'm sure they'd answer.

Correct I only have a data plan via tmoblie and no home internet. If I tether would that take up more data than mirroring?

Userlevel 7

Probably not. You'd just be accomplishing the same thing by different means.

Userlevel 6

Darn -- casting while being WiFi Hotspot doesn't work.  I tested my phone being a hotspot and connected my Roku to it.  Cast wasn't an option. 

Userlevel 7

Does Roku support screen mirroring?

Userlevel 6

I don't know if it supports mirroring.

I only tried casting.

I don't know anything about mirroring.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Casting, at least with a Chromecast, takes the direction from the phone and finds the stream online, such as Netflix or Hulu, etc...  It's pretty much a hand-off from the phone to the CC using apps rather than just the phone itself.  Mirroring maintains a constant phone connection over wifi with Android Beam and WiFi Direct to show on the TV exactly what is on the phone screen.  That's a rough explanation from what I can tell.

To my knowledge, Roku only does casting. :/

The only true screenshare I know is hardware oriented like drnewcomb mentioned. :

-Lauren

So I went with Chromecast.  I can "cast" netflix but also because i have android devices I can mirror the screen.  It has worked well for the proposes that I need.  Thank you for the suggestions everyone

Glad you found an option that works!

-Lauren

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Excellent.  Keeping things in the Google ecosystem usually helps all Android/Google devices to communicate well.

The whole ecosystem thing is pretty awesome. I did a road trip recently and we had a rental that had Car Play, the person I was in the car with had an Apple device and it just synced beautifully. The whole eco system worked together and was pretty lovely, and it did the same for my android.

-Lauren

Hi.  Do you yhink you can help me?  I purchased the connecter to mirror my phone to my tv to watch T-Mobile Live app.  However, every time I try to watch something, I get an error message, basically telling me I am not allowed to watch on the screen.  If I'm paying for the service, why would it matter if I want to watch on my tv?  Thank you. (* I am using my phone hotspot.)

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I don't believe you can mirror from the same phone that you were using as a hotspot.

Badge +5

Use Microsoft WIreless Display Adapter for best usage. If you have a Windows machine with Wi-Fi direct than you will be able to set it up and everything with no problem usually. It has almost no lag and works perfect. It does nothing but cast.

Badge +5

Casting uses WiFi direct technology and neither uses a WiFi network nor stops your LTE from working. Casting should generate a closed circuit using low power WiFi like how bluetooth works. It has nothing to do with tethering and it also has nothing to do with a display out or anything like that. A perfect example of a perfect WiFi direct casting device is a microsoft wireless display adapter. It uses WiFi direct standards. So, you only need a HDMI port that supports the relevant HDMI handshakes. If it does not then it will simply not cast. You must click cast to make it cast. You cannot go through the WiFi direct in your WiFi usually for whatever reason because it will handshake backwards. Casting is intended to be super simple and only mirror. If something doesn't work it usually means:

!) You are doing it wrong. Read instructions.

2) The port on the back of your TV might not be able to correctly configure the signal and handshake. DRM can cause handshaking issues.

3) Everything is correct but you have your TV sourced wrong.

Those are usually the major problems.

Userlevel 5

After reading these post i was seriously thinking of buying a chromecast device to stream youtube, netflix, etc.,. Until I noticed that my DVD/BLUERay disc player already have it intergrated into it and it works perfectly. Some Smart TV's and DVD players have this very feature. No need for me to buy chromecast now 😉.

Badge +5

Perfect. Most Samsung TVs made after 2015 also can cast.

My NOTE 3 can mirror via Chromecast which I rarely use these days. If you want to setup casting from main device to chromecast, you'll need a second device. Phone, tablet, or laptop. 1st turn on mobile hotspot on main device, connect second device to mobile hotspot,the run chromecast set up , make sue the chromecast app is also installed on the 1st device as well. once the chromecast is configured with your mobile hotspot, the 2nd device is no longer needed.

I have a app installed called "Bubble UPnP" paid version. it's under $5, you can cast almost any content you have with this app to any DNLA device on the network. Chromecast, Roko, PS4, PS3,Firestcks,Smart T.V.s Xbox one/360 and the list goes on.  Using this method will "NOT" incur" network data usage if you are casting content you own, that stored on the device or binge on partners, with the exception of HULU.

Bubble UPnP is my GOTO when I want to stream something quickly, otherwise, I use PLEX 99.999% of the time now. Many modern TV's support casting and screen mirroring.  Haven't played with Screen mirroring as much theses days because of Plex.

Plex does require a laptop or a NAS run and preform the server functions, I brought a dedicated laptop(server) built in SSD and two 2TB HDD's to store content on. The SSD allows me to leave on 24-7-365 days.            

To confirm, a while back I thought having an issue with Plex using data to stream content to my XBOX one,

the mobile hotspot service does indeed function like a typical network by preforming both WIFI and Internet gateway.

WIFI 802. B/G/N and AC router "access point" creates what we call WLAN(wireless area network) this allows all devices to commutate with each other "locally" Point to Point. since local traffic is handled by the access point(AP). sending data from point A to C thru B that traffic is NOT internet usage as does not incur data usage   

example (Phone) >>>>>>(hotspot wifi)>>>>>>>(laptop), the data goes from point A(phone) to point B(mobile hotspot) then on point C (laptop).

changing it up by adding a request for data via the internet in the case of streaming;

(phone Netflix)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(chromecast.etc)

(hotspot wifi) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<(handshake)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<(chromecast.etc) .

(hotspot wifi)>>>>>(request goes to tower)>>>>>>>>(tmo servers)>>>>>>>(back down to hotspot wifi) >>>>>>>>>(chromecast.etc) 

the portion in bold is the monitored(metered) internet data usage. being that TMO's sniffer protocols can detect packets being utilized by binge on providers, that usage should not count against monthly data allotments.      

I'm posting this to help those get a basic understanding of networking, so they can configure their home networks to work using the least amount of data.as I have and enjoy "cutting the cord".

Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Badge +5

You honestly don't need to do much of any of that. You can literally just cast using a casting device like a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. And you don't need anything else but a Cast button and just put in the code.

Badge +5

To kind of put this all together. There is no reason you need a hotspot or wifi connection. You only need WiFi direct, Casting and a capable Casting device like Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter especially V. 2. Other than that you can cast using LTE. It does not generate any new data. It isn't breaking the law or trying to get around anything. All it does is mirror. You do not need to create a wifi network. You do not need any of that fluff.

I agree to a point, Screen mirroring vs. Casting work in similar and different ways which allows uses to decide the best option for them. There are Pros and cons to both methods.

Screen mirroring with devices like "MSDA" cons,

1. user cannot use the phone unless they want to interrupt the video being watched.

2 display rates issues.

Pros,

1. Easy set up

2. No internet required

UPnP(DNLA) "casting" cons

1. Internet may or may not be required

2. somewhat longer set up if using phone as a hotspot(device dependent) 

3. data usage when using non-binge on provider.

pros.

1. phone can still be used while casting

2.  no video issues

3  content can be streamed from any "source", to any rendering screen on the WLAN 

4. Content can be streamed from home to mobile devices while on the go.

I've said it before options like Kodi, and Plex have made above methods kind of obsolete also having a modern streaming box,(roku,chromecast,dnla/Upnp Blu-ray player, fire stick etc) or smart T.V. makes both casting, and screen mirroring very easy without workarounds.