Solved

Can I upgrade my device through JUMP if the screen is cracked?

• 17 January 2017
  • 10 replies

So I had been thinking of upgrading my Galaxy S7 to a newer device, but I recently dropped it and the screen cracked a little from one of the corners. I'm fully aware that in order to fix it I have to pay $175 and I'd get a refurbished S7 but I was hoping I didn't have to pay that if I could upgrade my phone regardless of its condition.

icon

Best answer by tmo_marissa 18 January 2017, 21:54

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 3

Greetings @juanzuniga98‌!  That's a rough oops moment, I'm sorry about your phone's screen.  Although the bad news here is that the deductible isn't avoidable with JUMP!, there may be good news, too.  Depending on what version of JUMP! you have, you may be eligible to simply pay that deductible in the store and go ahead and replace your equipment with a brand new device of your choice, instead of paying it directly to Assurant and waiting for a replacement of the same make/model.  Do you know if you have JUMP! one, JUMP! two, or JUMP! On Demand?

- Marissa

Userlevel 3

Hi again @juanzuniga98‌!  I just wanted to drop in and see how everything is going for you - were you able to replace or upgrade your phone? 

- Marissa

Hello, thank you for replying. I'm actually not sure about what kind of JUMP I have. Could you let me know how to check which one I have please? Thank you!

Userlevel 3

Great question.  JUMP! One or JUMP! Two function in really similar ways - you'd be paying monthly for this service and you'd see it itemized on your bills as JUMP! insurance.  You'd have added this when you started a new Equipment Installment Plan at some point - a 24 month interest-free payment plan for a phone, with the taxes paid up front.  JUMP! On Demand is a leasing program that splits the cost and taxes of your device up over 18 months with a purchase option price at the end (the remaining balance due for the equipment).  Does that help narrow it down?

- Marissa

Hi Marissa,

I am in a similar situation as the original poster. I have Jump One (every 6 months) and I am eligible for a jump but I just cracked my screen on my Galaxy S7 Edge. I wanted to Jump to a Galaxy S8 when it comes out in April. I am afraid of processing the PHP for the S7 Edge now because I might have to wait another 6 months before I can Jump with Jump One. Would I be able to process the jump to S8 with my current phone having a cracked screen online or in-store and simply pay the deductible (175 or 250) ?

"you may be eligible to simply pay that deductible in the store and go ahead and replace your equipment with a brand new device of your choice, instead of paying it directly to Assurant and waiting for a replacement of the same make/model" Does this apply to Jump One?

Also what would you advise I do in this situation, my remaining EIP balance is 550,

Thank you,

Userlevel 3

Hey @jc333‌!  Good question.  I'm sorry that your screen is cracked!  You have two options here - first, you can pay the deductible now to Assurant directly as an insurance claim (not a JUMP! claim) and get a replacement S7 Edge.  Your installment plan's IMEI only (not the EIP's plan ID #, balance remaining, or device description) will be updated - this does not count as a JUMP!, and will not reset your clock (which with JUMP! One is two JUMP!s per rolling calendar year, so they don't actually have to be six months apart, but after you've JUMP!ed twice you can not JUMP! again until one year from the first JUMP!).  When the phone you want comes out, you'll turn in the replacement, the EIP balance will be wiped, and you'll start a new installment plan for the new phone.
Alternatively, if your device is OK to work with as is, you can simply hang on to it and wait until the phone you want comes out.  At that time you can come into a retail location and process a JUMP! Claim - you'll pay your deductible and turn in the broken phone, the EIP balance will be wiped out, and then you'll start a new EIP for the new phone that you want.
Basically, there's not a proactive way to JUMP! Claim your phone - you can either do an insurance claim right now and JUMP! when the phone you want is in stock, or you can hang on to your phone and process a JUMP! Claim whenever the S8 is released.
I hope I'm relaying this in a way that makes sense - please let me know if you have any questions!

- Marissa

So I have a galaxy and looking to jump to iphone just to try it out. I have a small crack on the back of my phone, not on the screen at all. Can I still jump my phone regardless of this?

Badge

So I had been thinking of upgrading my Galaxy S7 to a newer device, but I recently dropped it and the screen cracked a little from one of the corners. I'm fully aware that in order to fix it I have to pay $175 and I'd get a refurbished S7 but I was hoping I didn't have to pay that if I could upgrade my phone regardless of its condition.

I have a phone that I have been having a hard time filing a claim because of the date of when it occurred , this started back in coviid and it just got complicated doing it over mail . If I have jumP too can I go to the store and pay my deductible and get a replacement and turn in my old broken phone ? 

Badge

I have a phone that I have been having a hard time filing a claim because of the date of when it occurred , this started back in coviid and it just got complicated doing it over mail . If I have jumP too can I go to the store and pay my deductible and get a replacement and turn in my old broken phone ? 

I have jump2 sorry 

i am in a similar situation where the bottom right corner of my iphone has a dent/scratch. i have no idea what type of jump i have, all i know is i have the one from P360. Am i eligible to pay the fee to upgrade? or could i file a claim and get a replacement phone and trade that in?