Solved

Cat Phone S61 Issues

• 14 August 2018
  • 5 replies

So I'm coming from AT&T and wanted to see if T-Mobile was a better carrier.  I bought a Cat Phone S61, latest flagship rugged phone from this company, that supports all of the frequencies of T-Mobile in the USA (Except LTE 71 600Mhz) and supposedly VoLTE and WifiCalling.  I've been round and round with both AT&T and T-Mobile as well as Cat Phone support and I've gotten nowhere.  On the phone with my T-Mobile SIM at the 4636 Phone menu, the option to enable VoLTE (VoLTE Provisioned) is both turned off and disabled.  If I put in an AT&T sim card they are not disabled.

I tried putting my T-Mobile sim in a Galaxy S7 Active (Unlocked) and was able to enable VoLTE and Wifi Calling, but putting the SIM in the Cat S61 they are disabled. 

Any thoughts, suggestions?  I've asked advanced technical support at both AT&T and T-Mobile (I want to go with T-Mobile), but they seem to be stumped or don't care.  I've contact Cat Phone support and they said "we'll get back to you".

icon

Best answer by magentatechie 15 August 2018, 16:28

View original

5 replies

That is so very odd! Did you try the AT&T sim card first by any chance? Sometimes unlocked phones purchased from manufacturers automatically "lock" themselves to the first provider that is used on the device. Does  it say on the manufacturer's website that it is compatible with T-Mobile' services?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

From what I understand, it has to do with the firmware on the device; to hear some talk, it's said that some manufacturers are more partial to certain providers and will tailor their software to be more compatible with some than others. (VOLTE and WiFi calling on unlocked devices )  This could explain why the features are available with the ATT SIM but not with the T-Mobile one.

As far as VoLTE goes, the S7 active is compatible (see: VoLTE settings: Android ) but there aren't any CAT devices on the list.  WiFi calling is iffy too when dealing with unlocked devices because T-Mobile doesn't test out and can't guarantee that it'll work, even if the manufacturer says that it should.

did you happen to get a fix to this problem yet?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hey there! Do you have the same phone and are having a different issue that wasn't addressed in the last post?

An older thread, but as of 2/28/19, my Cat S61 was updated to Android 8.1.0, and now VoWiFi is working properly with no other action required.