Delay in sending picture text messages

• 3 August 2017
  • 41 replies

I am having a huge delay in sending a picture via text message.  At times it takes twenty minutes at others it takes ten minutes, and that is if it sends at all.  Regular texts go through right away.  The pictures i send are ones i take, or screenshots so they aren't very big.  This very annoying, does anybody know what I can do to fix this? It's only in sending, I receive pictures from other people with no problem.

41 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Aw, that's totally no fun @d89rojas

Is this happening with specific numbers or any number you send to? Are you have to check the file size of the photos you're taking. You could also try changing your camera settings and see if changing the quality helps. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

Userlevel 3

Hey, @d89rojas!

Welcome to our Support Community! As Mike mentioned above, we need to figure out if this is only happening with one specific person or multiple people. Also, is this happening while you're connected to WiFi? If so, trying turning off WiFi to see if the MMS' go through. One last question for ya, is there a delay in picture messages sending when you're in a specific location or does it happen everywhere?

Userlevel 3

Hi there, @d89rojas​! We just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going with your picture messages. If you're still having trouble, we'd love to know the answers to the questions asked above so that we can try to isolate the root cause of the problem! Thanks!

- Marissa

Thanks @tmo_amanda I turned off WIFI and now I can send pictures. That was the fix for me.

Userlevel 1

Having to turn WiFi off to.send a picture through text does not sound right to me. I have an iPhone through another carrier and I don't have to turn my wifi off on the phone to send pictures through text. That's a canned answer Tmobile wants you to buy in to and you did .

There has to be better explanation why sending a picture via text on a TMobile carrier on home WiFi doesn't work but does through other carries when on home WiFi .

I have the Motorola z3 it takes me 15 - 20 minutes per picture if I send text on average. Took 30 minutes the other day.  Wifi does not help.  Small file sizes do not help.  Been 15 minutes now for a simple text message that simply said "thank you: to be sent.  This is ridiculous.  Nothing against T mobile support but this is not an isolated incident.  I am seriously thinking of switching carriers as this is a never ending story every single day it seems although it does not happen all the time it happens every day more than once a day. My data usage is less than 4 GB so I should NOT be getting throttled.  At first I thought it was my phone but 2 other people I know have the same issue.  Now I get a message that the text could not be sent try again - this happens alot as well.  I really like Tmobile but this is not working out!!!

Userlevel 1

This is an issue that has been going on for many years. It happens with *everyone* I send picture messages to, no matter what app I use, no matter where I am, across multiple devices. Occasionally, OCCASIONALLY turning off WiFi helps but it is crap that I have to do that. Even then it takes minutes for the message to send. My threads are full of "sending pic" messages. I currently have a message that has been trying to send for over ten minutes. Most of the time I use other services because of this very issue however there are a couple people that I have to text. This is a T-Mobile issue that "turn off the WiFi" simply is not acceptable and cannot be assumed resolved.

Agreed.  Having to turn off wifi is ridiculous.  I had to do that a few times. I have a Note 10. My brother has the same phone but with another carrier and does not have these issues.

I have Google Pixel devices running Android 10. I can't send picture or GIF or Stickers as MMS on my devices. Also trying when turned off Wi-Fi but still facing issues. Only send text messages and Emojis.

This started to happens on my Note8 this month. I never had this problem before. There is any fix for that? Is that because some kind of "bad" update as many before? I had to give up my Google Phone (first one), then switch the Note4 (was a great phone) for the 8, and all because of some "updates". Is that happening again? Should I just give up T-Mobile after so many years, and change for some otber carrier (maybe Sprint now got better)?

It has happened on an XPERIA 1 of mine that I was using until I got the OP7TPro McLaren and it has continued to do so on this new device.   Last week I got the Wifi mini tower to help with my signal. I now have great signal and can send mostly all of my pictures /MMS instantly in comparison to before. When I get back on WiFi the same BS starts happening.  

I have been having exactly the same problem as I see above for about three months now. Have there been any solutions? File sizes are minimal, picture sends are slow (up to 30 minutes) to all people. I have a Google Pixel 2.

I have reduced my memory usage, deleted long text threads, tried on and off wi-fi, and of course restarted phone and shut down for long periods multiple times. Any other ideas? Thank you!

Hi @tmo_mike_c @tmo_amanda @tmo_marissa - this thread is marked resolved, but I don't see any solutions posted (and I'm facing the same problem). How do I "reactivate" it? Thank you!

Hi @tmo_marissa, I see this is marked as resolved but I don't see any solutions and I'm having the same problem. Can you send some ideas? Thank you!

I am having the same issue and would love to know how to resolve this. 

I have the same exact problem with my Android. Very frustrating. But yet, if I send the same pic through Facebook messenger, it goes through quickly, and videos too, with no distortion. T mobile sucks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have the same issue every so often. The SMS/MMS will take it’s time sending when I use Textra but when I use the default app it goes right through.

I have the same exact problem with my Android. Very frustrating. But yet, if I send the same pic through Facebook messenger, it goes through quickly, and videos too, with no distortion. T mobile sucks.

We are having the exact same issue on all our phones, Motorola Rellvery x2 and Note 10. I have installed software to compress image size - not much help. I go into Airplane Mode and back out - not much help. I restart - not much help. I clean the Cache - not much help. None of these ridiculous measures are a solution. I do not want to back to stinking Verizon but am loosing patience when trying to communicate with pictures to family and friends, ESPECIALLY right now during COVID. Please give us a fix to this problem. It may seem insignificant but you may find you'll lose customers over this.

On another note regarding this, when my parents, whom I talked into getting T-Mobile send pictures or I send them images, we get messages that the "download was cancelled" and then a pixelated image. I am not sure why this is occurring. Again, very frustrating when others seem to manage fine.

Thank you for your attention and assistance with this matter.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I have a Tmobile Note 10+ 5G (so essentially the same phone) and the only time I have problems getting or sending messages is when there is trouble with the network or a blockage on my account. Have you checked your APN settings?

Have you checked your account? For reasons beyond my abilities, the last update triggered my account to block all SMS & MMS! I logged on, found the problem under My profile> Blocking controls, unchecked blocking all SMS & MMS, and everything started working.

@sweetpeach  Thank you so much for the time and reply.

I checked the APN and everything is set appropriately. I also checked My Profile and I currently do not have anything blocked.

Great suggestions and I am glad everything worked out for you. Perhaps this could help others.

As for now, I will keep searching on a fix to this issue that appears to be deeper than the hardware.

Thank you again 😊

Badge

I’d say over the past couple days, I am having the same issue.  It takes a long time for photos to be sent.  I have a Note 9.  Sometimes it takes 10-20 minutes.  

I’d say over the last month or so, continuing to today…...I find that a lot of text messages do not go through.  I get the exclamation mark saying failed to send. More times than not, it’s just a standard text.  I keep hitting resend, and eventually it goes through

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Perhaps if you choose auto-resize in the MMS settings? 

this started after one of the update that was done. This is clearly a software issue 

Bought SamSung S20+ from SamSung (device for T Mobile), Never have any issues with SMS for months until:

Took Update firmware from T Mobile then now it is a nightmare, 60% of the time the attachments failed to send or delay.

Definitely this is the T Mobile software issue.

Kindly fix it. We are paying for the services, kindly provide the services that we are paying for.

This is ridiculous that this is still an issue. 5g super carrier and I cant send a meme. What is the deal?