Solved

Does tmobile support the Nexus 5x?

Hey, I am considering purchasing Google's Nexus 5x and using it on my T-Mobile plan. Does anyone know if T-mobile supports the phone, or if there are any special limitations?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 1 December 2015, 03:06

I used ours on T-Mobile for a week or so before we ported my wife's service to Project Fi. It worked fine but I understand that it is not yet compatible with T-Mobile's band-12. Google just announced that the Nexus 6P was certified for band-12 and I assume an update will soon be supplied to 6P owners but AFAIK, there's been no announcement about the 5X.

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I'm using it just fine. Has WiFi calling also.

I used ours on T-Mobile for a week or so before we ported my wife's service to Project Fi. It worked fine but I understand that it is not yet compatible with T-Mobile's band-12. Google just announced that the Nexus 6P was certified for band-12 and I assume an update will soon be supplied to 6P owners but AFAIK, there's been no announcement about the 5X.

I don't know if the Nexus 5x works with full compatability with band 12.  I did some research before buying my 5x and found this among other references:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-all-band-12-lte-devices-our-network-must-support-volte-e911/2015-08-28

WiFi calling works awesome on this phone but the feature does cut out at times

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The 6.01 update will fix the band 12 issue.

Some Nexus 6P and 5X owners seeing T-Mobile band 12 LTE support after Android 6.0.1 update » TmoNews

Userlevel 6

I've got 6.0.1 but am not connecting to Band 12 on my 5X.

Oh wait... I take that back.  I'm now on Band 12 here at work.  It keeps swapping between Band 4 and Band 12.  I hope that's not going to kill my battery...

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I haven't got the update yet but I'm not in a band 12 area.

But who do I blame for not having it.

Google or Tmobile.😜

"not in a band 12 area"  Isn't that a network issue?  If we were talking Project Fi that could be a blame for Google.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I live south of Chicago and there's no band 12 license as of now for Tmobile.

No update yet for our 5x, which is on Project Fi.

You don't have band 12 support in your area.  If I recall, you said you have good WiFi calling capability on your 5x correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yes.

astodolski wrote:

You don't have band 12 support in your area.  If I recall, you said you have good WiFi calling capability on your 5x correct?

So then is WiFi calling - or the lack of it - a band 12 issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

No. Cellular bands aren't needed for wifi calling.

gramps28 wrote:

No. Cellular bands aren't needed for wifi calling.

Then what about VoLTE?  Does that tie in with band 12 support especially in the context of WiFi calling.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

VoLTE is about receiving cellular LTE data while on a voice call and has nothing to do

wth wifi calling. Before VoLTE when you received a call your data would drop to 4G.

gramps28 wrote:

VoLTE is about receiving cellular LTE data while on a voice call and has nothing to do

wth wifi calling. Before VoLTE when you received a call your data would drop to 4G.

Thanks for that.  So the 6.0.1 OS update will probable not impact any WiFi calling issues

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It shouldn't but you never know.

I'm a T-mobile customer, plan to get a Nexus 5x soon and want to know how Android updates work. (Sounds like I'll want to update to 6.01 out of the box to enable Band 12.)

Will I get a notification when a new version of Android is available? Will I be able to update Over The Air (OTA)?

Or

Will I have to do something involving USB cables and my laptop?

Hey  @gramps28‌‌ @smplyunprdctble‌‌ @tidbits‌‌ can you help me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

More than likely you will get 6.0 unless it states 6.01 when you order it.

The updates will be OTA which I do over Wifi and you will get an onscreen

notification when it's ready for download.

Thanks!

I imagine the 5x will come with 6.0. but I'll want to update to 6.01 right away to take advantage of Band 12 and wifi calling. I'm excited about Band 12, hoping it'll improve connectivity in Atlanta and North GA.

I'm glad to hear the 5x can update OTA, I don't want to deal with that other stuff.

I guess it must be Google sending the notification, NOT T-Mobile.

The next thing I need to figure out is how to move the stuff from my current phone (Nexus 5) to the 5x. And, once that's done, how to wipe the 5, so I can give it to my son as a clean phone.