Question

Extreme signal fluctuation

• 19 July 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

I have a ZMAX Pro that I've had for 6yrs. It has always had a solid 4 bars inside the house until recently. I noticed the signal strength has been dropping to zero every few seconds and the 4G icon flickers as if it drops out and re-establishes signal. This is happening all around my house. My battery is getting drained from 100% to 15% in 7-8 hours with the phone just idling. I guess the drain is caused by the network always dropping out and reconnecting. Can this be a sim card issue? I already cleaned it with rubbing alcohol but it made no difference.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

at this point you might as well see if they can switch you into a different sim card. if you knew anyone with a Metro phone you could try putting their sim card into your phone to see if it improves or not..if it does its the sim..if it doesnt then its the phone.

keep in mind a cell phone that is 6 years old is pushing it pretty hard. heck manufacturer wise that thing was EOL (End Of Life) 4ish years ago

Badge

The reception is a bit more stable outside but still drops down to 0 every 15 seconds and the 4G symbol will flicker once or twice every 5-10 seconds.

I was messing around with Discover LTE app earlier and noticed that my phone kept switching between band 12, 4 and “LTE unknown” every 5 seconds. I did notice that on band 12 I would get 3-5 bars and once it would switch to band 4 or LTE unknown I would get 0-1 bars.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

if you leave the area by say 5+ miles does your reception improve and stay solid? if it does then its network..the 5+ mile deal should be a far enough trip to get you to switch to a different tower so you can test it against whichever one you connect to while at home.

Badge

Can this possibly be my sim card going bad? Or is it likely the phone itself is going bad?I talked to Metro and everything is good on their end. No network problems in my area.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

not really seeing any antennas on it though..normally a tower will actually have multiple carriers on them (you will have one a block from you but will have bunk signal because it isnt the one your carrier is using)so you will see numerous antenna all over it.

Badge

Don’t know anyone else with tmobile. I did walk outside of the house and it was still having an issue, although it seemed to be a bit more stable outside. But the signal bar would still drop to zero and 4G symbol flickered from time to time.

Does anyone know what this antenna is supposed to be? It was erected in the beginning of this year and may be the culprit of poor service?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If you have a friend or family member who uses Tmobile have them come over to see what type of coverage they get in your house.

Badge

According to the specs on phonearena, the phone does have VoLte. I am on the Metro-By-T-mobile network though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Does it have VoLte?

https://9to5google.com/2020/12/24/t-mobile-volte-requirement-2021/