Solved

Facing call mute issues on Samsung S9 and S9+

Hey,

We bought two news phones samsung S9 and S9+ from Costco T-Mobile. Both are having call issues. We bought under BOGO offer but yet to get my rebate.

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 24 May 2018, 01:18

View original

27 replies

Userlevel 4

Hey, @ruchika​! These are some pretty amazing top of the line devices, so call issues are definitely a bad surprise. When you say the call is muting, do you mean that the sound goes in and out for both parties, or that you can hear the other person but they can't hear you?

It sounds like you participated in the Costco version of the Buy a Samsung Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9+, or Galaxy S8 Active and save $720 on a second offer! How long ago did you complete your rebate submission online? It looks like it should take 6-8 weeks for this rebate to arrive, and since the offer started on March 30th, I believe you should still totally be in a safe zone for that timeline, even if you purchased your full price phones in Costco on the very first day of the deal. 😊 That said, it's a lot of money and I get your concern! You can learn more about how to track your rebate here: Submit and track a rebate​ if you want to stay on top of it! 

Hi Marissa,

Yes, We also thought that they are amazing phones and that's the reason we have invested our money on them. But to our surprise we are facing this call mute / drop issue in which other person cannot hear our voice and at times call drops. I have checked few more complaints on internet regarding same issue. It seems they have this issue in their devices. Infact a lawsuit has been filed against Samsung for this issue.

Links:

EXCLUSIVE: Details of Lawsuit filed against Samsung over Galaxy S9 call issues - PiunikaWeb

Some Samsung Galaxy S9 Owners Reporting Call Dropping Issues | Androidheadlines.com

Could you please suggest on this.

Userlevel 4

Hey, @ruchika​! I'm sorry to say this is the first I'm reading of this -- and we don't have any known issues listed for the S9 or S9+ at this point, so I don't have any suggestions regarding the headlines you've referenced. 😥
That said, we may simply not have had internal reports of trouble at the volume that would lead to a known issue being created, or Samsung may not have?

Have you had a chance to reach out to Samsung to see if they have any insight to share?

Does this seem to happen in one location or many locations? What's your signal strength like when the calls go in and out? Is it happening with everyone you call, or just when you call each other? Does this happen over WiFi as well?

Userlevel 4

Hey there! Just wanted to pop in and see if you'd had a chance to look over the questions above and note if there are any patterns to when this is happening! 😊

Hi Marissa,

Yes, We are facing this issue with every call in all locations, even on my wifi. On video calls too other party doesn't hear our voice even though they see our lips moving.  Its really annoying.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Has it been like this on both phones since day one? How long have you had the phones? We'd be looking at resetting the devices if this is happening in all locations. I'm also curious if you've reached about to Samsung directly about the headlines you posted. Please let us know.

Hi,

We start noticing the same from 3rd or 4th day from our purchase. Got the same on 04/04/2018.

No, I have not reached to Samsung yet as we made purchase from T-Mobile only.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Do you have strong signal when this happens or are you seeing some fluctuation? Can you test out the phone in Safe mode as well to see if the muting continues? It's hard to tell if this is a software or hardware issue and testing this can help. The phone's weren't dropped or damaged in any way? The only other step you could try on the phones is resetting them to see if that does the trick.

Userlevel 4

Just wanted to check in on the questions above!

-Lauren

Userlevel 4

Happy Wednesday, @ruchika​!

We wanted to stop by one last time to see if you've had the chance to read over the questions that Mike asked above:

Mike wrote:

Do you have strong signal when this happens or are you seeing some fluctuation? Can you test out the phone in Safe mode as well to see if the muting continues? It's hard to tell if this is a software or hardware issue and testing this can help. The phone's weren't dropped or damaged in any way? The only other step you could try on the phones is resetting them to see if that does the trick.

Hey,

Apologies for the late reply.

Phones are intact and not dropped or damaged in any way. Signal strength

remains good. Will try to test them with your suggestions and update here

soon.

Sorry having a busy week.

Thanks

Ruchika Rawat

Userlevel 4

No need to apologize, @ruchika​! We understand that everyone's schedule is different 😉 We look forward to hearing back from you and we have our fingers crossed that Safe Mode will do the trick.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

We totally understand being busy. We don't mean to bug you, we just wanna make sure this gets resolved. Please keep us posted on how the testing goes.

Hi,

I tried with safe mode on but facing the same issue. Will try resetting

next. Will update you on this tomorrow.

Thanks

Ruchika

Userlevel 4

Ruchika, thanks for trying out Safe Mode even though that didn't help. Please let us know how your phones are working after completing a master reset.

Tried the same, in vain.

Thanks

Ruchika Rawat

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Oh wow. Well, thanks for giving that a shot. I'm out of ideas on how to get this fixed now. The reset really is the last resort unless Samsung has any ideas. If they don't any other way to fix this, the phones might need to be replaced.

We are having the same exact issue.. only had the phone for about a month and now everytime we try to call or receive a call user on the other end can't hear us but we can hear them.. have to try and call back about 4 or 5 times and then eventually it will start working but so frustrating and embarrassing when trying to talk to clients and I use my phone all day for my job! This phone was supposed to be top of the line and had nothing but problems. T-mobile says its past the return period so I am stuck with the phone but ready to throw it in the trash! completely useless if you can't make or receive calls most day!

and we have tried all the suggestions like doing factory reset, reseating SIM cards, trying in safe mode and various other suggestions and nothing works!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I just thought of something else you could test for this. @bigbluelady , can you try changing the network settings 2G only and make a few test calls to see if it's still muting? I'd just like to see if it's possibly tied to a specific network connection.

ok we tried setting to 2G only and had same issue but we tried the LTE/3G Option and it seems to be working now with no issues .. very weird.. going to try it out for a couple days see if the issue continues... Thanks for the Pointer!!

we have called t-mobile a couple times and no one has ever had us try changing this setting so Thank you for the Prompt response and help .. Fingers crossed!

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

No problem!

I am glad that worked for you. We appreciate you coming back and keeping us posted on this.

Userlevel 4

Hey, @bigbluelady​! Just wanted to check in and see if that setting switch is still working out for you! 😊

Unfortunately it worked for about 2 days and now we are facing the same issues.. This morning same thing was getting calls and people couldn't hear me speaking but I could hear them.. then I would call back several times and same thing but then eventually later in the day it would start working again its VERY weird. I tried changing network settings to 2G Only and then changing it to other options and nothing was working this morning.. Any other suggestions?