Question

Galaxy Note 10 Wi-Fi Calling Preferences Updated Automatically

• 16 September 2020
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I received the September security patch last night (N970U1UES4CTH1). When I’m at work, I have to use Wi-Fi calling to get texts or calls since I am on the ground floor where there’s no signal. I’ve never experienced any issues with this, however since this morning, I’ll randomly get a notification stating “Wi-Fi calling preferences updated to optimize network experience”, and suddenly I can’t call or text anymore. I go into the settings and it’s switched it to “Cellular preferred”. If I change it back to Wi-Fi preferred, it’ll continue to work for an hour or so then it switches it back again following the notification.

Any way I can stop it from making changes? This is really frustrating, I feel that I should have control over my Wi-Fi calling preferences.

35 replies

Same issue here...incredibly annoying. Please T-Mobile...fix it!

This has been going on since last update on my S8 on Oct 3. Like Magenta396 above, was told by Tech Support to reset network settings and restart, but that only worked for an hour or two. Perhaps like numerous others, thinking very, very seriously of switching service to another carrier, and very soon!

This happened just a few days ago and will not stop. Coverage is awful AND I NEED WIFI CONNECTIVITY  !!!!! Get that T-Mobile???

Same issue on my Note 9, for about the last month. I work from home and moving slighltly will drop me from 2-0 bars. Because of this I have had lots of dropped and missed calls. Very un-happy and this acoount has 10+ lines.

Same Same Same! I have lost calls, and am sick of the constant notification! I called support and they had me reset my network settings. I did that and am still getting it. They said if it happens again to call them back from a different phone. Really? I am working from home and have one cell phone, and no landline (who does anymore?) so...not sure how I’m supposed to do that. Maybe they want me to facetime them?  Another issue is my Galaxy S3 watch is giving me a roaming notification now too. As I was typing this, I got 3 notifications that it switched. Please T-Mobile - GET THIS FIXED!

Does not stop switching from wifi to cell, that is the root problem. The notifications will go away when its solved.   

I’ve not experienced it turning wifi calling off without permission, only being inundated with notifications that have no purpose (or way of silencing). But yes, I’m certain they will go away once this is fixed. I’m very much looking forward to not having to have a crappy bandaid work-around.

Badge

Does not stop switching from wifi to cell, that is the root problem. The notifications will go away when its solved.   

Use tidypanel from play store to hide the notification. Tidypanel doesn't use any battery and works well in free version.

This worked great! Until a real fix is released this will do nicely...no more annoying notification sounds for no reason...thank you!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and the exact same issue is happening 100+ times  a day, it is so annoying as it sounds like I am getting a message all the time I am at home within range of my WiFi signal. I think it pops up when it detects a stronger cellular signal and then reverts back to WiFi when the signal dips again as I live in a rural area with not great coverage indoors, not bad outside but poor signal inside. It never used to do this until the last security patch update.

I'm having this same issue on my galaxy s20 fe. Wi-Fi calling works much better in my house but it's constantly switching back to cellular preferred. It did it in the middle of a call which dropped the call. It's definitely not optimization. I silenced the constant notifications but that doesn't fix the actual issue. Hope there's a fix soon. 

go to settings > notifications > recently sent > see all > vertical more menu (3 dots) > show system apps > wi-fi calling > categories > wi-fi calling > notification style > silent and minimized

hope this helps

credit to reddit user banterjsmoke for posting the fix

THANK YOU!  THIS WORKED! 

I’ve had the same issue in the last few days. Call T-Mobile Tech. Service and was suggested to have either the Mobile data ON or the WIFI Service ON. Do not have both turned on at the same time.

It’s strange because I always have both turned ON in the last 2 years, no problem.

Now I have to remember to switch the mobile data when I am on the road and turn it off when I am at home. 

UPDATE: Follow T-Mobile Tech.’s suggestion, but the problem is not fixed.

go to settings > notifications > recently sent > see all > vertical more menu (3 dots) > show system apps > wi-fi calling > categories > wi-fi calling > notification style > silent and minimized

hope this helps

this is not a fix, this is just silencing the alert. 

Badge

Been seeing the same on my Note 10+ and my wife’s S9. We wound-up with dropped calls as we moved in the house. We have solid Wi-Fi calling but this “new feature” is now creating problems that didn’t exist before.

Why have Wi-Fi calling if the system switches and drops you???  

Any T-Mobile person willing to explain what is the “advantage” of this new “feature”? 

Tmobile please solve this. Luckily, I've turned off the annoying notification, but the cellular connection is not preferable to my wifi signal, and my calls are far worse quality whenever this "optimization" kicks in. 

I'm having athe same issue with my note 9 and so is my wife with her note 9. Has anyone gotten an answer on this yet?

I contacted support this morning when mine stated doing this again... the last time it took days for it to stop. I'm hoping it won't take that long this time. They said engineering is working on the issue. 

hope this helps

That works to turn off the notification, thanks. It does NOT stop the phone frome  unilaterally switching from Wifi to cellular perfered. Thats a big problem for a lot of us. 

Use tidypanel from play store to hide the notification. Tidypanel doesn't use any battery and works well in free version.

I am facing the same issue on S10+.. it is extremely annoying and doesn't go even after choosing either 1 of the two options. Tmobile please fix this bug.

Agree this is a pest. Even using Settings, Apps, three dots at top right, system apps, Scroll to Wi-Fi Calling, Force Stop is only a temporary reprieve. it auto restarts.

Badge

TMobile - this is beyond a little bug… it’s killing productivity for some of us who have poor coverage;  we need wifi. 

Same issues on 2 of our Samsung phones (not same models).  Has been happening for several days, assuming from the update mentioned in other posts.  Has this been reported to Tmobile or has anyone seen any response from them?

Appreciate the attempt, Aolson22, but that doesn’t work…  There is no option under categories in the menus for “notification style.”  The “show notifications” option is grayed out and there is no way to turn it off!  Very, very annoying.  I hope they patch this really soon.

hope this helps