Solved

Galaxy S5 Marshmallow Samsung Voice Recorder Will Not Update

I just got the Marshmallow update this morning on my Galaxy S5. Ittold me to update my Google Play Services, which went well.

Now I have the app Samsung Voice Recorder in my app list in Google Play. Itsays that it needs to be updated. I try to update it and it comes back with an error. It says something like this app is not compatible with this device.

I cannot uninstall it. I also can't disable it. I can open it from Google Play though. So I guess it is compatible.

So does anyone else have this problem? Have you been able to solve it?

If I do a factory reset to try to solve this problem, will I go back to Kit Kat or Lollipop,  or will it just clean install Marshmallow?

Thanks,

David

icon

Best answer by matesny 24 May 2016, 14:35

unless t mobile decides to push an update .......

Yeah, good luck with that!

😉

P.S. It is Samsung who should decide and push an update, not T-Mobile. Samsung, as we all know, forgets about their products older than a year and a half 😊

View original

14 replies

The Samsung Voice Recorder was a bloat in previous S models, Samsung ditched it with S7 but made it available as an App on the play store. If you read the App Details at the play store, it would tell you

* Not Support S5, Note4 Android-M

and you should make your own interpretation of that 😊

A Factory Reset does not revert you back to a previous version of Android. It simply cleans your data and settings, giving you a fresh version of the latest ROM you installed (Marshmallow, in your case). You can downgrade using Odin but is this giving you any problems other than the app being there and complaining, righteously so, it is not compatible?

Thank you matesny. So basically, a factory reset would not do me any good. And all of us S5 users are stuck with this "incompatible" app unless t mobile decides to push an update that removes the offending app.

I guess we can see how much testing they didn't do on their S5 models.

Thanks,

David

unless t mobile decides to push an update .......

Yeah, good luck with that!

😉

P.S. It is Samsung who should decide and push an update, not T-Mobile. Samsung, as we all know, forgets about their products older than a year and a half 😊

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I guess they have an interest in creating issues with their older phones and not fixing them. They will force some of us to go out and buy S6 or S7 models.

At least when it tries to update that app, it quickly fails and moves on to the next app. I just have to dismiss the notification.

I too have this issue. You can disable updates by unchecking Auto-update on the store page.

I updated my S5 on the morning of the release and I had the same issue.  As of today, the Samsung Voice Recorder app no longer shows up on the Google Play update list OR under ALL apps. It is still installed and works fine for me.

Samsung Voice Recorder shows up in Google Play Store for me...

Samsung Voice Recorder - Android Apps on Google Play

And what I did to update it was used Titanium to delete the original on the phone and then went to Play Store and it installed without issue and works great.

@glennl Did you do something to make it go away, or did it go away on its own?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Some apps may be removed by Samsung. Sometimes they will out it in the Galaxy Apps store.

It went away all by itself!

This app is not in the Galaxy Apps store.  It is in Google Play.  It was not removed and the app that was factory installed still works just fine.

It went away on its own on my phone as well. The funny thing is that it seemed to run just fine on my S5. I am not sure why they said that it wasn't compatible.

I figured out we aren't mean to get the update. the voice recorder and music app were both mistakenly pushed out. I made a post.

Thread-132445

I do not think that factory Samsung Voice Recorder on the S5 is a problem.  It is the Google Play store version is not compatible with the S5 and erroneously flagged as being updateable.