Question

Galaxy S7 Edge Screen Blacked Out

• 12 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

This phone has had issues since day 1 with a “system UI not working” error code which usually corrects itself within a short period of time. I recently bought a new vehicle equipped with Android Auto that has been a nightmare trying to use with this phone. Today was exceptionally irritating as the connection took a lot longer to establish than ever before, wihile it was still trying to load, I attempted to  reboot the phone and now my screen is blacked out with no way to power down, make calls or receive calls. This phone doesn’t have battery access to remove it and reset. Does anybody have any idea how to do a soft reset on the phone in hopes of that taking care of the issue. I’m at my wits end with Samsung, Galaxies and Tmobile offering free phones, discounted service and other perks to new customers and after several years being a loyal customer spending $1,000’s on devices and plans and can’t even get one stinkiin’ free phone for the life of me. All input is welcome. Thank you.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hold down the power button until the device reboots.  You should feel the phone vibrate for a second when it does start to power on, which means you can then release the power button.  

With a device as old as the S7, compatibility issues are going to be common the older the device gets.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

You should probably wipe the phone’s cache as well. Hold down the power & volume up button until the device vibrates, then let go of only the power button. When the menu appears using the volume button to scroll up/down, highlight the wipe cache choice and choose it by pushing the power button. When it’s finished, choose reboot system and your phone should restart.

Badge

Thank you for the responses, the phone is back on and back to abnormal. Still getting that annoying “system UI not responding” error message. Anybody what that is exactly? I have a question for sweetpeach, what else gets wiped when I do the cache? I’ve had bad experiences with clear cache that actually cleared data I didn’t want to get cleared.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

That’s NOT supposed to happen! It just gets rid of old junk pieces of code from updated apps and systems and usually makes your phone run better. I ALWAYS do one after a system update. I usually takes longer for your phone to boot up after a cache wipe because the system needs to rebuild it’s code again, but this time it’s clean code. :wink:

Badge

Thank you sweetpeach for the great advice. All good and operating like a charm.