Solved

google maps link sent via text message does not open google maps ever since Nougat upgrade for my Galaxy S7

Ever since upgrading to Android Nougat on my Samsung Galaxy S7, I tried sending myself directions from a computer directly to my phone through a text message but when I clicked on the link, it keeps taking me to the Google Play store and tells me to install Google Maps but I already have it installed. I can't figure out how to stop this. It's like my phone doesn't know what to do with google maps links. I've tried switching browsers but it makes no difference how I try opening the link. It never opens google maps up for me to help me navigate to the destination I tried text messaging myself. Google maps actually works just fine if I open it and manually type in addresses but if I get a link to an address via text message or even through Facebook messenger, it directs my phone to the Play Store and asks me to download google maps but its already installed. I don't even see an option to uninstall it. What should I do? This all seemed to happen when I upgrade to Android Nougat.

icon

Best answer by graberweg 6 May 2017, 18:28

The link that did open is in format:

https://goo.gl.maps/xxxxx

The format google sent directly through text that does NOT open is in format:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/i/xxxxx

which always opens in the phone's built in text message browser that directs me to google play and asks me to download and install Maps which is already installed. It is what it is. I'm tired of fighting with my phone. I'll have to send myself links in the one way I know DOES work which involves some extra steps which I can live with.

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hmm, does this happen if you're in a private or incognito mode in your browser? If that's not the case, I'm wondering if your maps application isn't set as the default app. You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the app itself or the app's updates then retesting it.

No I am not in incognito mode. It's like if I get the text message from google with directions I sent myself, the link instantly opens in a browser that is NOT chrome and then links me to the google play store asking me to download Maps which is already installed. I've tried Resetting all permissions to all apps so that it asks me which app I want the work with but for this particular instance, it never asks me to open it with maps. I cannot uninstall Maps either. I can only disable it. It's like T-Mobile integrated google Maps and Chrome into my phone so there is no option to uninstall it so I'm pretty confused with what I am supposed to clear out or erase to remove the whole app and re-download and install it brand new.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

If it's opening in some other browser other than Chrome, have you also reset the permissions for that application? I'd also check to see if there's an option to clear the defaults for whatever this browser is that's opening. If it's only been doing this after the software upgrade, there should be a setting that can be changed. For apps that you can't uninstall, the you should still be able to clear the defaults, cache, and uninstall the updates.

Userlevel 6

Hey @graberweg‌!  Mike had some great suggestions above - did you have a chance to walk through that troubleshooting?  How is everything going?

- Marissa

I've cleared defaults for every single app on my phone multiple times and it didn't fix anything. I just now however learned how to uninstall updates for google maps and chrome so I did that just now and reinstalled Google Maps and then Chrome. I proceeded to reboot my phone but tried once again and still no luck. Google maps links opens up the google play store instead directing me to the Maps application that I already have installed in my phone. I don't get it.

I did reinstall chrome and maps by the way, I forgot to mention that part after the uninstall.

Userlevel 6

Well, first off - kudos to all of the troubleshooting work you've done. 
Initially reading over this situation I thought the link was opening up in another browser, instead of in Chrome.  But to read that it's opening the Play Store seems really strange.  If Google Maps is up-to-date on your phone (and it certainly sounds like you've done all the legwork necessary to make sure that's the case), I can't think of why this would happen.  Are you logged into the same Google account when you're sending this link to yourself?  When I use the "Send to Phone" feature in Chrome on my laptop, I don't get a text message - Maps just gives me a notification and I open it.  Are you using that same feature, or sending the link via SMS deliberately?

- Marissa

The fact that it won't open in Chrome is the most irritating thing to me. It opens in some kind of native browser within the text messaging application. If I select to open it in a web browser it still opens it in the default browser that came with my phone, not chrome which I've already set as the default browser yet it seems to always ignore in this instance.

Yes I am deliberately selecting to send me a text message with the link because the other option sends me an alert to my phone that if i open but decide I will need the link later on that day, I have to resend it to myself again because the alert is already gone and I have no way or retrieving it again unless I resend it. Its like open once and immediately utilize or its gone forever. The text message feature use to work just  fine but not anymore.

Userlevel 6

Got it.  That is super strange; I'm not sure why this functionality would change after the update but it sounds like it's a feature that you truly get a great benefit from.  This may sound a little silly, but have you had a chance to test out what happens when you receive a link via SMS from a contact?  I'm wondering if the same behavior will repeat - IE, if your phone will try to open the link in this other browser - or if it will open in Chrome?

- Marissa

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I'm curious what happens if you get an SMS from a contact too. Can you give that a shot? I'd also like to know if this happens when you're connected to Wi-Fi or the T-Mobile network.

Userlevel 6

Hey there, @graberweg​.  Just checking in to see if you'd ever had a chance to test other links sent via SMS and see how they open!  How is everything going?

- Marissa

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi @graberweg .

Just stopping by to see if things are still wonky. We really wanna see this through and make sure this gets resolved. Please come back and let us know if this is working better. Thanks!

Contact or not I think it doesn't matter. I just tried sending myself a link to an address from one of my e-mail to my gmail account. When I opened my gmail account with Chrome, the link does open in google maps automatically. If I forward that same e-mail to my text inbox email account, it does go straight to my text messages and opens through google maps there. Perhaps the format in which google sends the maps link is somehow incompatible with my phone but if I'm sending the link to my e-mail account, it opens just fine as long as I navigate to my gmail account and open the link there (which is in a slightly different format. This is probably the only way I can send addresses to myself and navigate.

The link that did open is in format:

https://goo.gl.maps/xxxxx

The format google sent directly through text that does NOT open is in format:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/i/xxxxx

which always opens in the phone's built in text message browser that directs me to google play and asks me to download and install Maps which is already installed. It is what it is. I'm tired of fighting with my phone. I'll have to send myself links in the one way I know DOES work which involves some extra steps which I can live with.

Userlevel 6

Well, heavens to betsy, that is an awful lot of testing -- I'm so glad it yielded results, but bummed to read that you're using an interim workaround instead of the feature that you've grown comfortable with. I am going to mark your answer correct; and we really appreciate that you came back to let us know. If anyone else is confused by this post-Nougat functionality shift; this thread will absolutely steer them in the right direction -- we can't thank you enough for returning.

I'm going to pass this link on to our Samsung contact, but if you've got the time (I know that might be a stretch given the time you've already invested here) I do think this would be a great thing to post in Google's Android forums as well, to get their eyes on the matter. Either way, we will do our part, and thank you again!

- Marissa