Question

Google Pixel - network issues

• 15 January 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hello,

Bought an unlocked Google Pixel and it worked with ATT. It also worked with TMobile sim  My friend inserted his Sprint sim and it was detected, but calls would not go thru. Since then, my phone shows an invalid sim error - and to ask Sprint if device can be unlocked. 

Since I am not a Sprint customer, the customer care were not able to find any information. ATT customer service confirmed that the phone is registered under my number. 

I am clueless on how to resolve this. 

Asking here coz Sprint community is read only.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Where did you buy this phone? There’s a similar thread about a Sprint-locked Moto G7 Power.

Badge

Where did you buy this phone? There’s a similar thread about a Sprint-locked Moto G7 Power.

Thank you! I read thru that and my issue is a little different. I got it via Walmart - it said it was unlocked. I inserted my ATT sim and it worked fine. I even tried a TMobile sim and it worked as well. The issue started after my friend tried out his Sprint sim. Calls placed from the phone using the Sprint sim did not even go thru although the network was detected and had coverage. Since then, I started getting this error message

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It may be more similar than you suspect. Phones bought at big-box stores are often set up to lock themselves to certain SIMs, even though they are often sold as “unlocked”. When this happens, it can be difficult to get them unlocked as the carrier to which they become locked, may not necessarily have received the information needed to unlock them.

The solution is to sue everyone: Walmart, Google, Sprint, etc. and let the court decide who’s to blame but that would cost tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. It’s difficult.

Badge

Ok. Not what I was hoping for. What confuses me is - everything was good until that Sprint sim was tried on the phone. I already spoke to Google - they confirmed that the device should not have been locked - it was an outright purchase. Is there a way to try an unlock request - coz that is what the error message says? Could not find any way to request it on Sprint website and customer service will not help without a Sprint account number

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

also keep in mind that you can flip flop sim cards with GSM carriers..but you will run into issues with CDMA carriers..im taking a guess but as soon as you tossed in a Sprint sim its now trying to lock you in for their 40 day or 50 thinking you are bringing in a BYOD.

Edit-forgot to mention the Sprint site is shut down to read only now since things are getting converted over to this site..

Badge

That is what I thought too - but strange that Sprint customer support is not able to help out. They keep asking me for an account number. It is not even a Sprint device

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

yeah you’ll need to get in deeper (front line agents are pretty hit and miss when it comes to getting things figured out) to get a ticket created to fire your phone a unlock. if/when you make it to that point make sure the Sprint sim card stays in the phone and its connected to wifi so it can receive the unlock..hopefully thats the issue and not the one mentioned above which could also happen.

the group that handles unlocks is not a group that you can contact directly..they work off tickets only

which number have you called? was looking through their faqs about unlocks and they have a few different numbers to contact depending on the scenario.

Badge

The main issue is - I dont have a Sprint connection. Mine is ATT and it was working without issues until that Sprint sim was inserted to my phone. I dont have access to that sim either.

I just called their customer care number 866-275-1411. Thank you for the tip on different numbers in the FAQ - I did not see that. I’ll go thru that once again and try calling them

Badge

Tried to talk to Sprint customer service again. They said they cannot help without a Sprint account