Solved

How can i find my phone if its turned off?

• 9 January 2016
  • 7 replies

I have lost my phone and it is turned off. What can I do to get it's location?

icon

Best answer by smplyunprdctble 11 January 2016, 14:25

socksandpb wrote:

All it shows me is where I live..yet I lost it at my school... can't I call T-Mobile so that they can track it even if it's off?they have that kind of technology...right?

If it's off, there's no way to find it.  Off means off.  It doesn't communicate with anything.  It's virtually as if the battery has been removed (except you have the ability to turn it on with a physical pressing of a button).

The location services (find my phone and such) can only tell you the last known place.  Then again, it won't give it to in as granular of a location as you're probably hoping (it would probably give you the location you turned it off.  You probably know where you turned it off, so that wouldn't help).

View original

7 replies

Start looking. Have you checked the 'fridge?

Actually, is it lost as in somewhere in the county or as in somewhere in the house? In the house you just have to look for it. In the county, if you have location history turned on, you might be able to go to your Google account and see where the phone was when it was last turned on.

Yes. It is lost in the county.Where do I go once I am in my Google account? It looks like it hasn't been turned on since I lost it.

I've never used it myself but here's the link: https://maps.google.com/locationhistory

All it shows me is where I live..yet I lost it at my school... can't I call T-Mobile so that they can track it even if it's off?they have that kind of technology...right?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Oh shoot, that google maps was a good suggestion too. Sorry that hasn't located your phone @socksandpb‌. T-Mobile doesn't have a way to track the phone if it's not on. You could give the Lookout Mobile Security's Find my device steps on the doc below if you opted for that service but this one uses google maps as well:

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4257#howtos

I did read online that Samsung has a Find My Mobile service that could be helpful. It would require signing into that online with your Samsung Account if you have one set up.

If you're still unable to find it, the last resort would be filing a claim on the device if you have handset protection. Doing that would at least get you another phone so you can stay in touch, as well as make sure no one can use your phone. You can use the steps in the link below to file a claim if you need to.

File a JUMP! or Premium Handset Protection (PHP) claim

Userlevel 6

socksandpb wrote:

If it's off, there's no way to find it.  Off means off.  It doesn't communicate with anything.  It's virtually as if the battery has been removed (except you have the ability to turn it on with a physical pressing of a button).

The location services (find my phone and such) can only tell you the last known place.  Then again, it won't give it to in as granular of a location as you're probably hoping (it would probably give you the location you turned it off.  You probably know where you turned it off, so that wouldn't help).

Despite what some people believe, when a phone is turned off, it's off. The only thing that remains "hot" is the internal clock. If a phone is off, it can't be tracked.