Question

How can I put the Visual Voice mail app on the home screen on my S22 Ultra ?

Badge +1

I have been using Samsung phone & T-Mobile for years. I recently got an S22 Ultra. I was surprised not to find the Visual Voice mail app anywhere in the application list (slide screen up from the bottom).

Yet, doing a search for “visual” at the top finds a Visual Voice mail app with a green icon.

However, the only two things that can be done with the search result is to open the app, or get the “app info” (long press).

I would like to add the Visual Voice Mail app to my phone’s home screen, as I have been doing for years.

How can I do this on the S22 Ultra ?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Strange. All I can suggest is that you try to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Go to the Play Store and get the Visual Voicemail app from Tmobile from there. Then add it to your Home Screen 

Badge +1

Strange. All I can suggest is that you try to uninstall and reinstall the app.

This app cannot be uninstalled. It appears to be one of the built-in apps that can’t be removed. It can only be stopped and disabled.

Badge +1

Go to the Play Store and get the Visual Voicemail app from Tmobile from there. Then add it to your Home Screen 

Yes, that works.

However, the app from the Play store is a much older revision.

Badge +1

Very oddly, now, both Visual Voice apps - the green one built-in to the phone, and the purple one from the Play store that I just downloaded, are showing in my Android app list when I swipe up. And I was able to add the green app to my home screen, and uninstall the Play store version.

I have no idea what changed on my phone in the last 19 hours since I posted that fixed it. Either it’s a setting on the phone I changed, or some update fixed it that happened during my sleep. I did not reboot the phone since I posted.

I wish I knew what had fixed it.

A number of other built-in apps that can’t be uninstalled still suffer from the same issue, for example, Bixby vision .

This time, I made a screenshot showing the problem, after doing a search in the app list at the top, and doing a long press on Bixby vision. The context menu shows the only option is “App info”. There is no “Locate app” or “Add to home” option, as there is now for Visual Voicemail.

Bixby vision not showing up bothers me less, since I’m not using it, and don’t plan to. Nevertheless, it seems to be a bug that there are some applications on this phone that don’t appear anywhere in the app list, and can only be found through the search feature, which requires knowing their name, or looking through the phone’s App settings to see the full list.

The same problem exists for “Bixby routines”, also found in this search. There are probably others. Can anyone else reproduce this strange issue ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This app cannot be uninstalled. It appears to be one of the built-in apps that can’t be removed. It can only be stopped and disabled.

OK. I checked my wife’s S20 5G and VVM was uninstallable.

Badge +1

OK. I checked my wife’s S20 5G and VVM was uninstallable.

Thanks for checking. I was wondering more specifically about the S22 Ultra, as I didn’t have this problem on my previous Note 20 Ultra 5G. On my old phone, I was using the pink Visual voice mail application from the Play store. I never saw the green built-in app.

While my problem with the inability to add Visual Voice Mail to the home screen on the S22 Ultra has now been resolved, the same problem remains for built-in apps, such as Bixby routines and Bixby vision, as shown in the screenshots I posted last night. Is anyone else with an S22 Ultra seeing this ? And do you see this issue on the S20 5G also ?

Perhaps I need to post another thread about Bixby routines / Bixby vision on the S22 Ultra.

Badge +1

Perhaps I need to post another thread about Bixby routines / Bixby vision on the S22 Ultra.

I opened those two apps, and they have specific settings to show them on the Apps screen or not. That was disabled. I don’t know if that’s the default or not. It may be something I did years ago on my Note 20 Ultra, and Samsung Smart Switch migrated my settings to my S22 Ultra. So, at least for those two apps, there is a good explanation why they weren’t showing up.

For the green built-in Visual Voicemail app, I still don’t know why it wasn’t originally on the Apps screen, and why it couldn’t be added to the Home screen. There is no corresponding setting in this app. I haven’t noticed any other missing app, but didn’t go through the entire list of apps in the Apps manager under settings.