I am so mad at myself for jumping on the Android update. Normally I love the latest Android. But 7.0 Nougat on the S7 is too vanilla. Seems most if not all the TouchWiz has been removed. I don't mind change if the change is good and I can do the same or better. But a few things I noticed right away that are big issues with me.
1. No more left/right sliding top shortcut keys for the top 10. Only a static 5 and without text. Have to pull down the whole shade for all shortcuts with text. This also means that I can't see the Wifi SSID in the text like before.
2. No more quick access to the auto brightness toggle checkbox. Just the brightness slider. You then have to go into the drop down menu to access the auto toggle on/off. I often toggle the auto setting in complete darkness or when in theme parks for more battery control. Not daily, but pretty often.
3. Notifications are now bright white with black text and I can't seem to get it to follow my themes. I liked the darker notifications with larger text on 6.0.1. But the biggest issue is the coloring. Apps such as Waze would stick to the top of the notifications list and be a blue background. Easy to switch to running Waze. Now I have to rely on the recent apps view. Overall I find this notifications center to be harder to use and items run together more.
4. Phone app no longer has a separate tab at the top for Favorites. It has been moved to the top of the Contacts list. This works and is ok. But I prefer the larger button style of the Fav tab. And it seems there is 1 extra step to edit contacts.
5. Keyboards. Both my wife and I have noticed that we make more typos on the keyboard changes. Not sure how that is even possible. Maybe the spacing is different? Active areas different? Not sure. But seems the keyboard in all apps is affected.
6. Settings screen, is white and doesn't do well with some themes where the title text is white and the settings background will remain white, causing the title bar to be hard to read. Might be fixed later with more themes. But I have to basically use the default one to avoid this.
7. Default internet browser no longer has the X next to search terms so you can remove individual items from the list of recent searches.
and more, but those are the ones that jumped out instantly and have been really bugging me the last few days of using it. I do like the updated Camera app, so would be sad to see that go. But overall, the OS changes are driving me nuts. Mostly with the notification center.
So is there a way to easily revert to the previous 6.0.1?
Best answer by xenon2000
Thank you for clarifying. Though I never said or implied that any proprietary code was being given to the carriers.They do test and as everything is in the firmware for the OTA update, that is bundled by them as well. I have already said that it's first and foremost Google that is the code source for the OS. And then Brands for mods and drivers. Drivers of course as actually written by the hardware companies like Qualcomm, etc. But bundled in by Samsung for each device with different combos of hardware. And lastly, the testing and app bundling by carriers.
This isn't a discussion about what is open source. Though I would love to see any links that clarify the carrier firmware release path.
I haven't seen anything that would explain that carriers don't have the ability to offer a 6.0.1 firmware specifically for their carrier branded S7 in a way that is validly signed. Though it would be more of a wipe and not a downgrade. This is what I am trying to discuss. Though I haven't seen anything that shows that isn't possible. I already know if that I ask Samsung, they will tell me to talk to my carrier about this.