Solved

How to undo Android 7 upgrade back to 6.0.1 on S7

• 25 February 2017
  • 56 replies

I am so mad at myself for jumping on the Android update. Normally I love the latest Android. But 7.0 Nougat on the S7 is too vanilla. Seems most if not all the TouchWiz has been removed. I don't mind change if the change is good and I can do the same or better. But a few things I noticed right away that are big issues with me.

1. No more left/right sliding top shortcut keys for the top 10. Only a static 5 and without text. Have to pull down the whole shade for all shortcuts with text. This also means that I can't see the Wifi SSID in the text like before.

2. No more quick access to the auto brightness toggle checkbox. Just the brightness slider. You then have to go into the drop down menu to access the auto toggle on/off. I often toggle the auto setting in complete darkness or when in theme parks for more battery control. Not daily, but pretty often.

3. Notifications are now bright white with black text and I can't seem to get it to follow my themes. I liked the darker notifications with larger text on 6.0.1. But the biggest issue is the coloring. Apps such as Waze would stick to the top of the notifications list and be a blue background. Easy to switch to running Waze. Now I have to rely on the recent apps view. Overall I find this notifications center to be harder to use and items run together more.

4. Phone app no longer has a separate tab at the top for Favorites. It has been moved to the top of the Contacts list. This works and is ok. But I prefer the larger button style of the Fav tab. And it seems there is 1 extra step to edit contacts.

5. Keyboards. Both my wife and I have noticed that we make more typos on the keyboard changes. Not sure how that is even possible. Maybe the spacing is different? Active areas different? Not sure. But seems the keyboard in all apps is affected.

6. Settings screen, is white and doesn't do well with some themes where the title text is white and the settings background will remain white, causing the title bar to be hard to read. Might be fixed later with more themes. But I have to basically use the default one to avoid this.

7. Default internet browser no longer has the X next to search terms so you can remove individual items from the list of recent searches.

and more, but those are the ones that jumped out instantly and have been really bugging me the last few days of using it. I do like the updated Camera app, so would be sad to see that go. But overall, the OS changes are driving me nuts. Mostly with the notification center.

So is there a way to easily revert to the previous 6.0.1?

icon

Best answer by xenon2000 25 February 2017, 23:02

Thank you for clarifying. Though I never said or implied that any proprietary code was being given to the carriers.They do test and as everything is in the firmware for the OTA update, that is bundled by them as well. I have already said that it's first and foremost Google that is the code source for the OS. And then Brands for mods and drivers. Drivers of course as actually written by the hardware companies like Qualcomm, etc. But bundled in by Samsung for each device with different combos of hardware. And lastly, the testing and app bundling by carriers.

This isn't a discussion about what is open source. Though I would love to see any links that clarify the carrier firmware release path.

I haven't seen anything that would explain that carriers don't have the ability to offer a 6.0.1 firmware specifically for their carrier branded S7 in a way that is validly signed. Though it would be more of a wipe and not a downgrade. This is what I am trying to discuss. Though I haven't seen anything that shows that isn't possible. I already know if that I ask Samsung, they will tell me to talk to my carrier about this.

View original

56 replies

No.  Unfortunately there is no way to downgrade.  Sounds like some of it is just theme issues that the developer of the theme needs to correct. For some of the other things you mentioned i never noticed but do remember them working differently never.

But alas,  there is no real way to downgrade.

I tested all of these items with the default theme. The only theme related issue is the white title bar in the settings menu of the OS. The rest of these items are the stock theme.

Oh interesting.  I never really used the stock theme.  I use the minu black and don't really seem to notice anything.

The changes are noticable in all themes. I just went back to the default theme after I instantly noticed the changes, just to be sure it wasn't the theme. Sure enough it's not the theme other then #7 in my list.

‌Totally agree with you about this poorly designed update.  Another gripe is that the WiFi icon on the title bar no longer identifies what WiFi signal I'm connected to.  To determine if I am I my site I have to do an extra step every time to check.

Also as you said, the organizational display of favorite contacts is difficult to read. 

I would give anything to  downgrade.  Alas we can  hope software designers read these pages! 

When comparing to stock android, it looks like Samsung was trying to look more like that. I would write to Samsung and post on their forums to get feedback to them.

‌tusks so much for this suggestion. I'm not the most Internet savvy locating where you are referring.  Could you possibly post a link here?  I'll be sure to do it.    Thanks very much. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Samsung and Google developers don't read these pages.

Their have their own pages which you can give feedback.

I thought my post title was clear. I am asking the forum here for help on how to downgrade to 6.0.1 that I had before 7.0. Since the OTA update was given to me by T-mobile, I really wish they would also have a solution to revert. So I might be stuck asking for help from XDA.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

That's your best option.  There is no official way to do it without voiding the warranty. The update isn't given to you by T-Mobile.  Unlike popular belief updates come from the manufacturer.  Carriers don't touch code like people think they do.

No manufacturer or software company for that matter would give an outside company their proprietary code.  Something to think about.  😊

Android updates explained: your guide to Google's upgrade process - AndroidPIT

That is not completely true. Link explains the upgrade chain. First Google updates Android. Then it's available to the phone makers such as Samsung for them to mod for their devices. THEN, the carrier does touch it. They test their apps, drivers, location, etc. And finally the carrier pushes out the updated and finalized firmware with everything bundled.

Now of course this means the biggest changes happen first at the OS level with Google Android code. Then Samsung and phone makers can choose to use a different launcher for things like TouchWiz UI or HTC Sense. Drivers and more. And lastly, carriers test and make changes for things related to their network and included apps.

So in my case, my biggest complaints are with Samsung for being lazy and mostly just pushing 7.0 to the S7 with little changes over the stock Android UI. If I wanted stock, I would have gone with the Pixel phone.

I came here first as the Carrier is the one pushing the OTA update and and the carrier/phone locking mechanism for applying firmwares without hacking. So technically they have the power to offer a way to push a legit T-Mobile 6.0.1 firmware as a downgrade. Though I would expect it to require a full wipe of the phone since it likely won't have a way to downgrade the app setting and keep all your data. Which at this point I am fine with starting over to get 6.0.1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It was already debunked by manufacturers themselves when that article was written...

What happens is manufacturers get all that stuff in advance and carriers only test the update.  HTC, Sony, and Motorola showed their timelines, and it goes against what Androidpit wrote.  That process is based off what people remember of BREW which is OPEN SOURCE GPL licensing and not ASL.  You honestly think manufacturers would give their proprietary code to carriers to modify to their liking?  Not even Qualcomm does that with the CDMA... 

Google, and Sony did an AOSP project and found out carriers did LITTLE to delay updates.  The biggest delay was licensing.  Google as of 5.0 released the PDK to combat this.  Carrier modifications like VoLTE, RCS, and such is given in advance to manufacturers and took an average of 2 months due to testing.  The carrier apps lik T-Mobile TV took take no time at all.  All that happens is they put it in the system folder, and can be updated on the fly through the Play Store. Licensing took up to 8 months for whatever reason like didn't meet SAR, or even Bluetooth, or WiFi not working within the licensing terms by those consortium.

Samsung doesn't even allow what you on their own unbranded and purchased directly from them...  That isn't a reflection of the carrier.  Carriers just push what was contractually agreed on.  Samsung signatures go up not down.  Downgrading with an older signature automatically fails.  You have to talk to Samsung to exchange the device or give you an option to downgrade using their tools.

If you need to understand what ASL is and why Android is not 100% open source.

Thank you for clarifying. Though I never said or implied that any proprietary code was being given to the carriers.They do test and as everything is in the firmware for the OTA update, that is bundled by them as well. I have already said that it's first and foremost Google that is the code source for the OS. And then Brands for mods and drivers. Drivers of course as actually written by the hardware companies like Qualcomm, etc. But bundled in by Samsung for each device with different combos of hardware. And lastly, the testing and app bundling by carriers.

This isn't a discussion about what is open source. Though I would love to see any links that clarify the carrier firmware release path.

I haven't seen anything that would explain that carriers don't have the ability to offer a 6.0.1 firmware specifically for their carrier branded S7 in a way that is validly signed. Though it would be more of a wipe and not a downgrade. This is what I am trying to discuss. Though I haven't seen anything that shows that isn't possible. I already know if that I ask Samsung, they will tell me to talk to my carrier about this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Like I told you Samsung has it setup you can't push an update with an older signature. It will fail every time. You need a flash tool that Samsung has in their possession to downgrade without voiding the warranty which bypasses the check(they have a backdoor) and need physical possession of the device.

You can check with BestBuy where they have a Samsung Experience area and see if those Samsung reps have said tool. You can check XDA to see if they have the files and the tools there even if they may not be official.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You said carriers do touch it. They do not in the way articles like AndroidPit and the media makes it out to be.

It's more like.

Manufacturer to carrier. Pay us this and we'll do these things. Carrier agrees and gives them what needed like wifi calling, VoLTE, and RCS

Manufacturers incorporate code and puts basic apps in the system folder.

Finish then sends to carrier to ensure they didn't break VoLTE and such. Pass goes out to People. Fail goes back to manufacturers to fix.

HTC on their website has a picture time like. Motorola does too if you are part of their MDN. Sony showed theirs but its not as detailed.

Oh just for food for thought. The way people think happens if it did happen that way for the past 8 years Carriers would have lost every lawsuit about updates, but they won them all because they are not as involved as the public perception. :)

Sorry, I misread the end of the previous post of yours. That is interesting. I will try to contact Samsung then if the issue of using an older firmware is blocked by them and not the carrier.

Yes, I said that carriers touch the OTA firmware.. that is how they bundle their network changes and bundled apps. That doesn't mean they touch code for the OS, launcher, or drivers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

They will always say it's the carrier. Best to look at unlocked devices which is supposed to be free from carrier involvement. They are on the same boat. You can't officially do it without a tool they have for developmental purposes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

They don't touch the OTA. That is done by the manufacturer. All of it. The carrier only give their code and standards to manufacturers to incorporate. Carriers test it to ensure it doesn't break the network, RCS/VoLTE, or security of the network. Everything passed they push out the update. They don't touch any code done by the manufacturer and they don't sign the packages.

@tidbits‌ , thanks for the added info. So if the carrier says the firmware doesn't pass their testing, they have to have Samsung fix it? I did not know that. Seems like a lot of extra work for Samsung versus just a method to allow T-mobile to bundle and sign the OTA update themselves with changed. Oh well. Thanks for the info. I will now ask Samsung Support. Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The reason being is the fact Samsung would have to give proprietary code for a lot of their internal services. Carrier standards except the security keys are open sourced. Easier to know who leaked a key over who leaked source code. You got 6 major manufacturers vs 100+ carriers having your code.

@tidbits

That stinks, are you saying using Odin with an older image (whatever the latest Marshmallow build) can't be used to put back on the S7?

I ask for calification, because on my S5 I was able to easily do that using Odin, especially during that version on T-Mobile that caused major lag and battery issues.

And I know this isn't the case for everyone, but warranty is not a real issue for me, as the phone has long been out of warranty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Read above 😊

I said XDA may have what you need, and it may void your warranty.  If it trips knox then 100% it'll void the warranty, but if it doesn't if you have to do any warranty repair you will have to upgrade to get any support from Samsung(and T-Mobile due to Samsung policies).

What the guy wants is for T-Mobile to push an OTA to get his device to downgrade.

1. No more left/right sliding top shortcut keys for the top 10. Only a static 5 and without text. Have to pull down the whole shade for all shortcuts with text. This also means that I can't see the Wifi SSID in the text like before.

2. No more quick access to the auto brightness toggle checkbox. Just the brightness slider. You then have to go into the drop down menu to access the auto toggle on/off. I often toggle the auto setting in complete darkness or when in theme parks for more battery control. Not daily, but pretty often.

I'm really going to miss #2, I liked being able to toggle the check box to auto adjust the brightness.

‌BEWARE FELLOW GALAXY 7 EDGE USERS.  DON'T UPDATE TO NOUGAT. IT'S A DISASTER.  STAY WITH MARSHMALLOW.  YOU WILL HATE YOUR SAMSUNG PHONE

IF YOU UPDATE, YOU CAN'T GO BACK. 

SAMSUNG OPERATING SYSTEM 7 HAS TAKEN  SAMSUNG FROM BRING THE ANDROID LEADER TO THE WORST IN USABILITY. 

AMONG THE THINGS YOU WILL LOSE BY UPDATING:

NO LONGER HAVE LEGIBLE FONTS AND COLOR  ON NOTAFICATIONS

NO LONGER RECEIVE VISUAL LED SIGNAL OF UNREAD TEXTS

NO LONGER KNOW WHAT WIFI YOU ARE CONNECTICUT TO

NO LONGER SEE COLOR NOTAFICATIONS OF APPS ON YOUR LOCK SCREEN

NO LONGER HAVE RELIABLE PREDICTIVE AUTO SPELL

NO LONGER HAVE FLASHLIGHT

NO LONGER HAVE SHORTCUTS TO YOUR MOST FREQUENTLY USED SETTINGS