Solved

Huawei Mate 20 Pro on T-Mobile?

• 24 October 2018
  • 71 replies

Show first post

71 replies

Yeah I just got the T-Mobile 6T also, but MIGHT wanna upgrade to the Mate 20 Pro. What I discovered just yesterday is that for all 2018 T-Mobile locked phones, VoLTE isn't listed in Settings. You may not even see the HD+/HD Voice icon in the stock app either. I know, crazy. lol

So the way to tell is, make a call, and if during the call your phone STAYS in 4G LTE, you HAVE VoLTE! Also, it should connect the call in 5 seconds or less. If it switches to 4G and/or takes over 5 seconds to connect, you don't. Do that kindly please and then let me know what happens.

Hmmm, I don't think that voLTE is enabled on the Huawei mate 20 Pro on T-Mobile. You may need to give me some follow-up guidance though and how to double check or confirm this.

I don't see anything in the settings that you mentioned (settings in the stock dialer, or in the general phone settings under 'Wireless and networks'). Also, to your second point, when I make calls there is no HD or HD+ icon; this includes both outbound and inbound calls, neither has that icon. When I look online the phone appears to support the Bands which would be used for voLTE, but I don't see that it's actually implemented or available.

Okay here's where it gets dicey though... we also have the t mobile locked OnePlus 6T, and I can't find any mention of voLTE in the 6T stock dialer settings, or in the General phone settings under 'Wi-Fi & internet'). Having said that when I make outbound calls to the mate 20 Pro the HD+ icon appears in the stock dialer of the 6T. But when I receive an inbound call on the OnePlus 6T from the mate 20 Pro, the only phone I've checked and inbound call on, there is no HD+ icon. That's why I hesitate to give you a solid answer, my positive control so to speak of the OnePlus 6T is only showing it for outbound calls, and so I might not be interpreting that correctly.

As to why vo LTE does not show up in the OnePlus settings, perhaps this link indicates something? Since T-Mobile says that it can't be turned on or off perhaps they have hidden it in the settings, and it's just always on. Link below.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-38906#steps7

Hope this helps.

Hi magenta,

Can you tell me though, does the L29 version you bought have VoLTE enabled on T-Mobile?! I'd REALLY like to know!

You should see it listed in Call or Network Settings, but more importantly, during a call, it should connect in under 5 seconds and also it should say "HD+ or "HD Voice" on the stock phone app as well.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi codified,

Can you tell me though, does the L29 version you bought have VoLTE enabled on T-Mobile?! I'd REALLY like to know!

You should see it listed in Call or Network Settings, but more importantly, during a call, it should connect in under 5 seconds and also it should say "HD+ or "HD Voice" on the stock phone app as well.

Thanks in advance!!

I got mine on E bay when I bought mine one one person had in stock ..I

paid 1200 but you can now buy it for 1064.00 on e bay and as well

Amzon..Just make sure that they accept returns.. in case some thing goes

wrong with it...and check there ratings as well.. This is the most amazing

phone I ever used...Good luck .Tanks .Tariq

Looking to get the Mate 20 Pro or the Mate 20 X here in the next month or so. Just wanted to see if you had any tips on purchasing? Where you got yours and what to look for as far as returns or certain bands? Thanks.

I really want to have the Huawei mate 20 pro for quite a while but I'm still wondering. Still no return?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The Canadian version of the phone supports band 66 and should support T-Mobile's WiFi Calling.  Rogers (AT&T Canada uses the stock Andeoid implementation of WiFi Calling, which is also what T-Mobile uses. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Small correction this is not an issue of T-mobile not supporting wifi calling on the device but the other way around with Huwai not supporting it.

Thanks for trying!  It's disappointing that the Wi-Fi calling won't work, but it's still an awesome phone!  Unfortunately, I need that Wi-Fi calling for an area I frequent that is a cellular dead zone for ALL carriers.  I have the OnePlus 6T arriving this week (International Unlocked) so we'll see how that does on T-Mobile.  Being that they're selling it too (locked), it should work like a champ!

There is no Wifi calling on this phone I looked all over the phone..It

works well with T mobile service. Phone is really fast..and very very good

camera.. Thanks

Well there is bad news for those who would rely on Wi-Fi calling. For reference, I have the international unlocked LYA-L29 updated to build number 9.0.0.126.

tldr:
No WiFi calling on T Mobile, the regular mobile network call quality seems clear and T-Mobile's data is a reasonable up-and-down speed.

Details:
I cannot find any evidence of the Wi-Fi calling setting anywhere in the phone. I tried under two different settings locations that were recommended on the web for the Mate 20 Pro as well as in previous P10 and P 20 Pro phones.

Neither of these settings locations had the option for Wi-Fi calling shown. It wasn't just grayed out it's simply wasn't there.

One location is under Settings... Wireless & Networks... Mobile network. There should be a Wi-Fi calling slider button here under 4G slider button according to screenshots found online. It's not there.

The other location is to open the phone dialer click the three dots in the upper right click settings and we should see Wi-Fi calling there. It's not there.

As tmo-chris indicated it looks like T-Mobile is not supporting Wi-Fi calling on the Huawei Mate 20 Pro. So it's a T-Mobile issue rather than a phone issue.

The phone works fine to make calls, and data works as well. I've placed some calls and call clarity was great. I also turned off WiFi and ran several speed tests with the Ookla Speedtest app. The Speedtest app on T Mobile data showed some variability but pretty decent speeds (all following speeds rounded off to whole number Mbps). The lowest was 13Mbps Down and 7Mbps Up. More often it ranged from 39Mbps - 49Mbps Down and 14Mbps - 17Mbps Up.

I am switching from Sprint and still have their service I ran speed tests on the same app on a different phone on Sprint's mobile data network. Sprint speeds ran between 48Mbps - 57Mbps Down and 2Mbps - 3Mbps Up.

I am not familiar with T-Mobile speeds for very long but they look to be slower Down in my area than Sprint which is a serious bummer. T-Mobile is much faster Up, but I don't care about that.

So, hope this helps everyone considering the Huawei mate 20 Pro. It does not have Wi-Fi calling on the T-Mobile network, and unless T-Mobile actively works to support WiFi calling on this phone it will not have it in the future.

However so far call quality and data is acceptable, I will update if that changes.

PS- Other than WiFi calling (and no access to Huawei cloud or other Huawei apps because they are not supported in the US), this phone is a freaking dream come true.

Pls let us know whether wifi calling works. It is a must for me as well. Thanks.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

One Plus 6T is exciting but the killing of the headphone jack was a real bummer ended up ordering an S9+ through Samsung since they are also running a deal till tomorrow where they give double the trade in value on devices. Still, the One Plus 6T looks amazing.

I am getting one soon will let you know..

Looking forward to hearing back. WiFi calling is a must for me!

While that's disappointing, at least we can get theOnePlus 6T now!

Welp. I took the plunge. Mate 20 Pro should be here in a couple weeks at latest and just signed up for TMobile service. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for luck. Will certainly update once the rubber hits the road.

Thanks for your original informative post loucap!

Hmmm...hopefully someone will buy one and test this out. Otherwise, I might have to be the guinea pig.

Userlevel 4

Hey folks!

That phone has most of the band support needed to work with T-Mobile network bands & technologies but the Wi-Fi calling is not guaranteed as we do not sell it and have not configured it to work properly with all of our services.

Thank you for posting this question loucap! I came here and signed up to do the same thing. I'm currently with Sprint but I'm willing to change a T-Mobile if this phone is supported.

The particular version that looks to be available to me immediately is from Singapore, not the UK.

It looks to be model code LYA-L29, which is Huawei Mate 20 Pro 6.39 Inches Dual SIM 40MP 6GB RAM Factory Unlocked Phone.

The band specifications for the phone from Singapore look to be the same as loucap showed above in the original post.

As someone who has never tried to use an international unlocked phone with a US carrier would anyone be able to help and let me know if we expect that the country source of the phone will impact its usability on T-Mobile?  Or is it just the listed bands that really matters on whether it's usable with T-Mobile?

Thank you in advance for any information.