Question

Is there any way to unlock local updates for andriod 13

• 29 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

It's beyond frustrating to find out well after the fact that your phones are locked down and you activity prevent your customers from using their phones how they please. I want to update to andriod 13, no one spends this kind of money on these devices to be using dates tech... If I wanted to stay on old versions of andriod I'd have bought a cheap phone or kept using an old phone. Does anyone know of a way to update your phone to a13, only in tech is it considered okay to restrict people's use of items they've purchased because you think its better for them. That would be like buying a new car that won't start if Ford thinks the weather isn't good enough to drive in, or your insurance company locking your vehicles ignition when rain starts, Nike sueing you or activity tampering with your shoes should you be discovered playing tennis in the basketball shoes. Just absurd you think this is a positive business model it's infuriating, I've been waiting ALL YEAR for the a13 update to move from manufacturer is working on it to your ridiculous testings phase, when we all know good and well there are os13 versions that have been out pretty much all year. Had I bought an unlocked model I would have what I wanted with my expensive phone yet I decided to purchase it from tmobile and instead I have to wait for your permission and testing regimine with id going to take what? another year? I will be thinking long an shard before purchasing any further phones with any company who follows this model of babysitting and restricting and trying to control how I use devices I've bought. That said if anyone knows of any way to update your phone, root, anything, please help!

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

carriers have little to no control on updates.  It’s been beaten with a dead horse over a decade ago.

Badge

Its the carriers who disable lock update settings... You think OnePlus does that? They've pumped put several betas and the official version if I'm not mistaken already, before tmobile can get one update to us. It's not the phone manufacturers who lock down your ability to update your phone...

Badge

It's the carriers who disable local update... Sorry for the typo above but just to be clear....

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Its the carriers who disable lock update settings... You think OnePlus does that? They've pumped put several betas and the official version if I'm not mistaken already, before tmobile can get one update to us. It's not the phone manufacturers who lock down your ability to update your phone...

This has been discussed.  This is OnePlus doing and not T-Mobile.  The reason why you can’t sideload update is because OnePlus Forks updates.  If T-Mobile has that kind of control then you wouldn’t be able to sideload other updates for other Android devices, but why only OnePlus?  Think about it rationally and not emotionally.   Right now if you had say the S22 series, or even the Pixel device you can download the next update and update your device even if “T-Mobile” didn’t so call push the update out.  You can even do it with Motorola devices.   OEM’s dictate what you can and can’t do for example.  Pixel and Motorola devices you can unlock the bootloader and continue to update devices using custom software or if you can code put Android OS updates yourself.  Samsung for example since they have Samsung pay and want to protect their investment Samsung has a security agreement with Banks to make that service available.  In places where Samsung has no agreement and no Samsung pay you can unlock the bootloader like Motorola or the Pixels.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The Local Update option would allow the updating of firmware to the device that isn't meant for the device.  if you wanted the NA/Global version, you should have bought the NA/Global version.