Question

Just got the tmobile android 12 update on my Oneplus 9pro global version and its causing issues

Badge

I have the global version of the one plus 9 pro and have always stuck to tmobile firmware cause I need wifi calling/texting. Just got the android 12 update today. Now my phone thinks its always charging even when not plugged, battery drains twice as fast, no 5g, no wifi calling/texting. Also my bootloader is unlocked but the phone is not rooted.  Anyone else having these issues or have any ideas on how to fix them?

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Android 12 in general is a mess on all devices.  Most of the major issues are with the OS at the core.  

Definitely appreciate you helping; I just can’t find anything that has update in it in apps (i’ve looked) besides “Dynamic System Updates” “Built-in App Updates” and “Config Updates”.  The update doesn’t even show up in the notification bar, it only shows up under system update in settings, and will always show installation paused and then just go ahead and update for me on it’s own.  Very frustrating :(

I’ll post something on XDA and have been reading both them and OnePlus forums to find a solution but thus far it’s not been anything that’s worked.  I’ve also tried safemode but it’s still being forced during that.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ugh, I’m glad I’m not the only one. I’m rolling back now.  Do these devs not test all the phones before rolling these out?  It’s really unacceptable to push these updates when there are SO many issues.

If you use Tasker, forget it. It’s been so glitchy. It won’t recognize a lot of of auto-rotate and basic commands.

Overall interface is slow; disabling animation through developer’s option enabled didn’t do much.

Phone freezes (9 Pro also) and would auto restart but everything is just too slow to do anything.

I don’t know if this is OnePlus’s fault or T-Mobile. The quality control of these rollouts are beyond unprofessional.

Userlevel 2
Badge

They to to the best of their ability with 5-6 people per model.  Each team is responsible for all regional and carrier variants as well.

Well I’ll just say sarcastically, do a better job 🤣

Minor annoyance as I can rollback but still...this update makes Android look awful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Personally, using dynamic updates is a bad idea.  It just fragments the OS even more with the potential for way more issues.  Why is your bootloader unlocked?  You really should relock it and leave it locked.  If you used TWRP to convert it, then you should have done it the right way, using the MSM Tool method.  Most users running Android 12 have factory reset their device to eliminate a lot of issues.  This is always recommended with a major OS version update.  

agreed. keep in mind that when these updates are being worked on and tested its on a fully stock device..no additional apps etc ..so taking it back to being as close to stock as possible tends to help..not everyones cup of tea..and wont help you avoid bugs..but its usually a smoother download.

I’ve had nothing but issues since the update to 12.  My phone doesn't always charge fully overnight, I have to call people twice since the first call always drops/won’t connect, general slowing down of the system overall, and now I can’t receive phone calls?  This really isn’t making me interested in the OnePlus 10 at all.  I might have to go back to Sony or see if the Nothing phone is going to be any good.  There’s no point in having a phone that can’t receive any phone calls.  

*edit* also, the battery drains much faster than it used to with normal usage.

I just updated my global version too thank got most things are fine but I lost the wifi calling option. Any help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

12 itself for the carrier variants has been a bit of a nightmare across the board..

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

WiFi Calling for T-Mobile on Android 12, regardless of whether you use the Global/NA, EU, or T-Mobile firmware, does not work.  A number of devices, including Pixels are experiencing the same issues with WiFi Calling with Android 12.  It is one of the many Android 12 issues that are going to be a problem well into the Android 13 release cycle.  

If you need WiFi Calling, like I do or just want your device to remain on a reliable firmware.  Use the MSM Tool for your device to roll it back.  This isn’t an easy process but excellent walk-throughs can be found on the XDA-Developers forums for this.  Once you roll back, which will completely wipe your device, so back it up if you value anything on it.  Enable Developer Options and turn off Automatically Install System Updates.  You will still get the annoying prompt for the update, which you can force close the system update app to get rid of until you reboot your device.  

Badge

Yeah my bootloader is relocked. And everything working great on 11. Used MSM since my recovery was destroyed when I turned on dynamic updates. Just want to state that everything was stock on my phone other then having an unlocked bootloader. I was kind of hoping that there would be a way to flash the tmobile 12 firmware and modem files onto my global version without losing wifi calling and 5g. But if wifi calling doesn’t even work on the tmobile variant ill wait and see if someone comes up with a fix. I'm Kind of a shocked that 12 is so bad with the long wait that tmobile put us through for the release. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

figure it like this..TMO wont give the go ahead to release an update to the OEM until most of the bugs are fixed/taken care of..with how 12 has been rolling out im taking a guess that the previous versions of it were horrible and not deemed worthy of being kicked out...the shocking part would be that THIS variant was the one they gave the ok to kick out lol.

Badge

I have the global version of the one plus 9 pro and have always stuck to tmobile firmware cause I need wifi calling/texting. Just got the android 12 update today. Now my phone thinks its always charging even when not plugged, battery drains twice as fast, no 5g, no wifi calling/texting. Also my bootloader is unlocked but the phone is not rooted.  Anyone else having these issues or have any ideas on how to fix them?

I’ve rolled mine back to 11 but then it keeps getting 12 pushed to it with 0 way to block it.  No options in System Update (no gear in the upper right), disabling auto update after reboot in developer settings also does nothing.

Unfortunately 12 introduces a bug where Work Profile cannot be created and therefore I cannot use my phone for work.  I could just keep the phone off from 12-6 am every night and use the auto power off/on, assuming that would work or I could just restore it to Android 11 using MSM every time it updates, but then have to sign into everything again.

Any other way to stop from updating?  Any word on when this bug will be fixed?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Developer Options has an option to turn off automatic system updates.  Tap the build number 7 times to enable Developer Options under System.  

Developer Options has an option to turn off automatic system updates.  Tap the build number 7 times to enable Developer Options under System.  

Yeah that doesn’t work :)  The only auto update under developer options is “Automatic system updates: apply updates when device restarts”. That was the first thing I tried. Phone auto updates over night regardless if that is tapped.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That's odd.  Disabling automatic system updates should stop it from installing regardless of the time.  That is all I do to prevent the next update, even though I do see the notification for it, which I ignore.  If it annoys you to see it in the bar, then go to Settings, Apps, Show System Apps, and force close system Updater.  As soon as you reboot the device though, it will pop back up that the update is available.

System Updater does not exist on the OnePlus 9 Pro, this update seems to be forced by T-Mobile with nothing I can do about it.  TMo support said to reach out to OnePlus Support and oneplus support has had me try all these steps, nothing works.  I’ve cleared cache, wiped the phone, reset to 11, then as soon as you get on wifi it says the system will be forced to update after April 4th.

“If you choose not to do so now, the update will take place AUTOMATICALLY between 12am and 6am starting April 4th, 2022. 

Data rates my apply.

Please do not turn off your device while the update is installing”

So it sounds like this will even force the 4gb download if wifi is turned off  and it’s using mobile data.  Point being, phone really wants to be on Android 12 and on a broken version of Android 12 at that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The System Updater is what is used to apply updates.  It might be called something different in the T-Mobile firmware but that seems unlikely.  Did you select, Show System, when viewing all apps?  

T-Mobile Support was correct to have you reach out to OnePlus.  There are still a lot of people out there that believe carriers produce and push updates, which hasn’t been the case since about 2011.  OnePlus support is incredibly hit or miss.  You might want to try the OnePlus forum for your device on XDA or the official OnePlus boards.  I personally don’t have a 9 Pro, but I do have a 9, a couple of 8T’s, and a couple of 7 Pro’s currently.  

Edit:  One thing you might be able to try.  When the update pops up and you pull down the top to see it.  It should have an icon.  Download Package Names from the Play Store and use that to find that particular app name under system.  Then you can find it in your Settings, Apps, Show System Apps, and hopefully be able to force close it.  

Badge

I didnt even ask for the OS and it downloaded even though i had it blocked...hold thing is broke equalizer is gone, fast charging gone, ask a load of questions all day annoying; drains battery, crazy layout..this was not a ONE Plus Update OS...camera is jacked up now; so is the screen record...going back to the original one...stop forcing upgrades on the sneak...restarted phone after it kept going slow for some reason...now i know why ..trying to install in the background !!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Always disable automatically update system in Developer Options.

Badge

I'm on business line with 24 other lines.  T-Mobile is the absolute worst in updates I cannot believe that they have approved these updates it is horrendous.  Keep in mind the T-Mobile governs the updates for devices on their carrier Network not OnePlus.

Badge

I just received my Android 13 update for my T-Mo OP9 Pro on 5/10/2023, and I now have a newfound love for this phone again. Yes, it is late as HELL, but I'm very happy with the update so far. 

Badge

I rolled back to Android 11 (after updating to 12 via T-Mo OTA) using MSM Download Toolkit. 

I didn't like losing advanced reboot access & the 'seconds' option on the status bar clock. Also, my Nothing (1) app wasn't optimized for Android 12 either and that was huge because it interfered with my earbuds. My navigation bar sometimes stayed in the landscape position after rotating back to portrait. Those things alone convinced me to ditch Android 12 for now on my T-Mobile OP9 Pro.

Badge

I'd try factory resetting the phone. If nothing, then use MSM toolkit to flash back to OS 11 and try updating again. Not to mention, hopefully a version of 13 could be another fix for you also..

Badge

Can we downgrade if we accept the Android 13 upgrade?  I suspect that Android 13 will destroy my ability to use the native call recording which is why I have kept with OnePlus devices in the first place.  It will likely kill the fooview app I use so often for screenshot screen recording of a section of the screen and stitching screenshots and editing as well which I utilize daily