Latest S20 Update Hosed My Phone/Apps

• 23 March 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

So one of my S20+ phones just took the March update and works fine.  The other, completely hosed.  Apps crash/close nonstop.  I’ve tried installing and uninstall the apps.  I’ve tried resetting the cache partition, multiple times.  I’ve tried the repair apps option (multiple times)  Even the Samsung galaxy store won’t open now.  Nothing works.  Worked great before this crap update went in.  Would REALLY like to avoid resetting my phone from scratch because Samsung and TMobile can’t get their crap together.

9 replies

Same here, constant apps crashing, can’t even open Gmail app.  What a mess.  just called technical support and it’s a 2+ hour wait, wonder why that is?

Any way to rollback the latest update?

Same here. Cannot access GMAIL or Yahoo! Mail. Opens just for a second & then crashes. Keep receiving notification that battery has issues. Meanwhile my phone is fully charged.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Go to the play store and search for Android System Webview from google then click on uninstall. (It won't uninstall but rather roll back a version)  It usually fixes things immediately but you might have to restart your phone.  DO NOT update this in google play after performing the uninstall (might have to temp turn auto update off) until a fix is released which should be soon but at least your apps will work again in the meantime.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Fyi, if you're on a Samsung Galaxy smartphone you can also navigate to Settings > Apps > Android System WebView, then click the three-dot menu near the top of the page and select uninstall updates, confirm, and reboot your device.

Your 1st suggestion worked flawlessly...thanks so much!

Same issue with the Galaxy S20 FE. I'm guessing this is happening to all S20 models. BTW the update to avoid is Build Code G781USQS1CUAA. It has the February security update. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

For what it's worth, Google has updated both Chrome and System WebView to resolve this issue so you should be able to update again.  Worst case, if not, repeat the steps above.  Just fyi for anyone running into this issue.

Go to the play store and search for Android System Webview from google then click on uninstall. (It won't uninstall but rather roll back a version)  It usually fixes things immediately but you might have to restart your phone.  DO NOT update this in google play after performing the uninstall (might have to temp turn auto update off) until a fix is released which should be soon but at least your apps will work again in the meantime.

Perfect. This worked for me when nothing else did. TY MrHappy!!

Mr.Hapfeedback helped me fix my Android Galaxy Note20/5G Ultra; here;s the original text:py’s

Fyi, if you're on a Samsung Galaxy smartphone you can also navigate to Settings > Apps > Android System WebView, then click the three-dot menu near the top of the page and select uninstall updates, confirm, and reboot your device.

I accessed my Settings > Apps > (didn’t have System WebView) > three dot menu > Permissions > Reset App Permissions. 

After a few seconds, my phone restarted itself. Then I went to my App Permissions again to see if my App was listed. I found my Google Play Store app; changed the permissions to “Allow only while using the app.” Now, I have my app on my Home screen and it’s working again; meaning it’s downloading apps again.