Solved

LG IMS has stopped

Userlevel 4
Badge

Could someone from T-Mobile support please respond to one of the questions about this topic with an update as to what we should to or when we can expect this to be fixed?

icon

Best answer by HeavenM 2 June 2022, 16:06

View original

188 replies

Well, it’s SIM card or T-Mobile network related for sure. I have 3 nearly identical LG V30 phones.  One with a cracked screen and no SIM card that I use for audio books, wi-fi Facebook and web surfing.  It has never shown the dreaded LG IMS error note. The other two get one about every 30 seconds now.  My wife’s started yesterday, mine today  Coincidentally (or maybe not) I recently got a notice that my phone could now be unlocked from T-Mobile.  Hmmmmmm?

BTW, I’ve tried all of the resets, forced stops, cache clearing, restarting and so forth that have been mentioned above. Also tried shutting off w-fi. All no joy so far. Results are a recurring message every 70 seconds or so.  And it drains my battery really quickly.

I’ll put in a public plea here for T-Mobile to find out what’s happening and deal with this problem. It could lose you lots of customers who are not interested in being forced to replace fully functioning smartphones.

Wel its likely a T Mobile issue die to them shutting down their 3G at the end of the month and they cant get the technicals right on network or LG phones have compatibility issue now.

They have delayed the death of their 3G at least twice already due to issues. My guess is they are not wanting to come out and admit because they dont want their stock to suffer.

T Mobile will probably offer some lame discount or “Trade in” vale if you take your LG and trade it for a “new phone”  Also keep in mind its not a coincidence that LG stopped manufacturing phones around same time last year.  So I doubt LG will do a fix.  This seems like a forced ploy by T Mobile to get you to go and get a new phone that is probably loaded with spying apps that you cant disable and are in the hardware.

The more I look at all aspects of this nonsense the more it seems that this is a ploy by T Mobile to get you to go in and get one of their newer phones that are likely preloaded with spy apps or spy hardware that you cant opt out of.

Keep in mind that LG stopped manufacturing phones around this time last year. So I doubt LG even has an interest in “fixing” this.

BE PREPARED for T Mobile to announce to all LG phone owners some lame “Trade in” or discount to get a “new phone”.  I’ll be shocked and surprised if the actually fix this. Seems like too much nonsense to just be due to some minor technical oopsie.

Userlevel 3

The LG IMS Service is a service that is specifically available on the LG devices to have both VoLTE and WIFI features. The LG IMS Service is used on any supported LG devices. But recently, it is showing the error, “Unfortunately, LG IMS has stopped functioning”. The reason why this error is popping up is still unknown. However, this only happens when the Wi-Fi is switched to the Mobile network. Yes, you can fix this error and make it that you have multiple options for solving this issue.

Firstly, remove any updated programs from your device. Also, remove newly downloaded apps. This should be done if you have downloaded any recent apps. In your phone’s app, dial the number, “277634#8#”. From the menu, click on the IP Version and change it to IPV4V6. If nothing works then the simplest way would be to Factory reset your device.

DO NOT  DO THIS! IT DOES NOT WORK!

Could someone from T-Mobile support please respond to one of the questions about this topic with an update as to what we should to or when we can expect this to be fixed?

I feel like they are trying to push me into buying a new phone. 

If it's not a t-mobile Issue then why is it only LG devices on the t-mobile networks metro pc  etc?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello,

I talked with LG Support chat and they are aware of the issue and are hoping to push a fix out in the next 24 hours.

I asked them specifically if they will do this fix for older phones like the LG v20, and they said “yes”.

The “fix” will be pushed to your phone and found in the same spot as your regular LG Phone updates were located.

Userlevel 1

The more I look at all aspects of this nonsense the more it seems that this is a ploy by T Mobile to get you to go in and get one of their newer phones that are likely preloaded with spy apps or spy hardware that you cant opt out of.

Keep in mind that LG stopped manufacturing phones around this time last year. So I doubt LG even has an interest in “fixing” this.

BE PREPARED for T Mobile to announce to all LG phone owners some lame “Trade in” or discount to get a “new phone”.  I’ll be shocked and surprised if the actually fix this. Seems like too much nonsense to just be due to some minor technical oopsie.

Agreed. Spent all day figuring out a fix. 

put the phone on airplane mode. 

Then

Force stop/clear data from com.lge.ims.rcsprovider

This makes is stop, but phone does not work

Then

go to phone, dial 277634#*# to access secret menu

Then 

Go to IMS SETTINGS and switch IP VERSION to IPV4V6

Then restore phone functionality by switching airplane mode off.

Haven't seen the error since doing this.

I still stopped auto-pay. If T-Mobile wants to play they don't get paid. I'll switch carriers. Sick of this nonsense

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I talked with LG Support chat and they are aware of the issue and are hoping to push a fix out in the next 24 hours.

I asked them specifically if they will do this fix for older phones like the LG v20, and they said “yes”.

The “fix” will be pushed to your phone and found in the same spot as your regular LG Phone updates were located.

Where is that exactly like Google play?

This worked for mine

airplane mode on <apps> drop down menu to <show system> <com.lge.ims.rcsprovider> <storage> <clear cache> <clear data> back one screen <force stop> airplane mode off

this works.

WiFi Off, airplane mode on <apps> drop down menu to <show system> <com.lge.ims.rcsprovider> <storage> <clear cache> <clear data> back one screen <force stop> airplane mode off

Userlevel 1

Funny enough I just bought this LG G8 ThinQ like 5 months ago. Now trying to get me to buy a new phone. The error is still popping up. Like hello T-Mobile why sell me this when you want me to buy xyz phone. Just very annoyed atm. 

If you are trying to get through the every 2 or 3 second popup, just tap on the area where you are trying to go (NOT on the white rectangle box with the error).

This will clear the error box and you will have another 3 seconds to get to the settings - general - apps - app Info to get to the three dots … to show system apps. and fclear out the com.lg-ims- rcsprovider App and force it to stop.

I have done it twice. Nothing is fixed for me yet. 

I was able to find a solution that works. 

1. Turn off your Wi-Fi and keep it off or the box “LG IMS has stopped” will pop back up. Simply repeat the steps below to remove it again. 
  2. You can navigate the phone with the message “LG IMS has stopped”  just click any space on your phone screen around the box.. It will reappear in about three seconds so you will go a bit slower until you complete the steps below. 

Steps to clear LG IMS has stopped box

Go to settings> storage//internal storage>other apps>hit three dots in upper right hand corner...>show system>scroll to find, com.lge.ims.rcsprovider (was not in order on my phone)>clear data/cache. 

The box will disappear. 

No, this doesn't work. It has not for most people.

The other thread has a fix I copied below, it worked on my Stylus 4. Be persistent, keep tapping what you need thru the popups.

ok, just used the following suggestion:

SocialCatastrophe wrote:

Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage

Force stop and clear data.

This has fixed the issue for my mother’s v20.  At least for now…

At least it took away the 3 second pop up notice. However, I did shut down & restart and the messaged started popping up again. So I redid the above directions and the annoying pop up message has stopped,

This worked for me as well on my LG G6. For those that try this and it doesn’t work the first time, try it a couple times as if the process comes back up before the data is cleared I don’t think it’ll work. 

It doesn't work.

I have an LG and tried the: Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage Force stop and clear data but it kept popping up.  I then went to app info for it and turned off the icon badge and it stopping popping up.  I'm not sure if it actually fixed it overall but I haven't seen the message for 30 minutes now.

We have LG Style 4s on android v8.1 The following worked on both:

SHUT OFF WiFi. This is one of the triggers for the issue. Just use the cellular data capability of the phone, people.  Just shut it OFF, T-mobile is counting any WiFi data towards your limit (if you have one) anyways!!! It’s also MORE SECURE than the the coffee shop WiFi people...

Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage

CLEAR DATA then FORCE STOP and try NOT to turn off the phone. If you do repeat the above.

These LGs are at andriod v 8.1 when everyone else seems to be at v 10 ??? Is that an LG or T-mobile lack or progress???

I may be new here, but I’m definitely not new to IT.

And DON’T reset your phones, It WILL NOT correct the Issue!!!

Awesome Mike,finally a solution. I did what u said and it worked,ty so much.

Is T Mobile going to fix this problem with out telling me I need to buy a new phone. All of these people having the same problem at the same time says its not tech issue with the phone. Fix the problem.

Hi,

Im not sure how to post this in the community but it works great,I just fixed my phone this morning,please post for everyone to see. Follow steps,Ijust cleared cache,data and force stop 4 times while in airplane mode and it is fixed.

Wes

1. Set your LG phone to airplane mode to prevent the error message from popping up over and over.

Head to Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> App info.

Tap the 3-dot menu in the top right corner, enable show system, and look for com.lge.ims.rcsprovider in the list. Tap it.

In the detailed overview, hit the following three buttons in order: Clear cache, clear storage, and force stop.

You may have to repeat step 4 above multiple times for the problem to fix itself.

Userlevel 2

Wes

Thanks for commenting. My phone is an Android Arista LG5, when I go to settings>apps & notification>app info I don't have the 3 dots in upper rite corner like most. As i stated, Im old school & tech challenged but I am pretty sure i kno where to find the 3 dots.

Ok, This is the first time that I have used the chat room and cant figure out how to reply to a comment in the same section, My original comment is on the 3rd page to the bottom and user “Dadredd” helped with a solution that work for me with a small twist.

1. Put the phone in airplane mode
  2. Clear the Data/Cache (com.lge.ims.rcsprovider)
  3. Force Stop
  4. Clear the Data/Cache AGAIN 4 times
  5. Turn off airplane mode

I did the clear the data 4 times then the force stop and it came back right away, this small twist on the suggested fix worked in my situation. I know that it is temporary and most likely will come back but for now it has worked for the last 30 minutes without issue.

Thank You Dadredd…...

my phone is LG V60 ThinQ. i am having the same issue since yesterday. the “LG IMS keeps stopping” thing keeps popping up.  it drains my battery like crazy and takes forever to charge. today i can’t text, i can’t make or receive phone calls!!! please fix this!!!! 

now i’m on the phone with T-mobile using my office’s phone at work, and on hold. i was told wait time will be 30 minutes. 

https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/1044680-megathread-lg-ims-keeps-stopping-5-2022-a-14.html

I was able to find a solution that works. 

1. Turn off your Wi-Fi and keep it off or the box “LG IMS has stopped” will pop back up. Simply repeat the steps below to remove it again. 
  2. You can navigate the phone with the message “LG IMS has stopped”  just click any space on your phone screen around the box.. It will reappear in about three seconds so you will go a bit slower until you complete the steps below. 

Steps to clear LG IMS has stopped box

Go to settings> storage//internal storage>other apps>hit three dots in upper right hand corner...>show system>scroll to find, com.lge.ims.rcsprovider (was not in order on my phone)>clear data/cache. 

The box will disappear. 

This worked for me. I have a LG Stylo 4.  Had to do it a couple of times tho before it worked.

It was an update most likely that pushed overnight Sunday. My wife and I  both have lg style 5 phones. Her phone has problem. I didn't plug in to charge mine and it shut off with dead battery. It still works fine. All the problem solutions just turn of message. Her phone will not talk to net so no calling or data. Only emergency service it says. On wifi have internet and texts come through delayed.no wifi calling. Basically the phone is not talking to towers with data. Hope a fix can get through on wifi or she is screwed. 

Badge

FIXED FOR NOW. Turn off WiFi and WiFi calling. You can still call out but may have a problem if outside the United States. Battery seems to be charging too.