Solved

"LG IMS keeps stopping"

This started on one family member’s V30 yesterday and another today.

This affects more than one LG model.

Obviously T-mobile has changed something in the network.

See this thread here:

I have tried safe-mode, Disabling mobile data. Etc, etc. including all suggested on the internet and above thread with no success.

I would advise against making any changes until an official response is issued from someone with sufficient knowledge to understand what network-wide changes were made and explain how to correct the problem or how T-mobile intends to correct the problem.

I worked this issue for more than 8 hours today!

icon

Best answer by fidget37 22 May 2022, 23:37

View original

96 replies

Badge

My K40 has the issue but my wife’s K20 does not.  She is running Android 9.   May be a problem with Android 10

Mine is 9 and it has it!😝

Userlevel 1

Tmobile says its an LG issue and to call them l  833-378-0003.  Problem is,, I can’t make a phone call.

UPDATE from Tmobile:  Oh my! I can't imagine what you're feeling right especially that you don't have a spare phone right now to use just to have this issue and I know how essential our service and phone can be, but one's thing for sure is that LG is now working double time to fix this issue as this only temporary and this would definitely get fixed in no time. This may not be T-Mobile's issue but we're to help and assure that they are working on the clock now for you. Sounds good?

Are they just pointing fingers at each other and no one doing anything? This just started today so one of you did this. Either T-mobile or Lg. Why is it saying LG IMS? One of you fix it now.

Did anyone get a chilling filling when they read the update above? That sounded a bit threatening like almost a ha ha its the only phone you have too bad for you. Wow!  Where you at?

Tmobile is the problem. Once this is fixed. Run. 

Then I suggest you run getting all tech. Glitches happen. I have had very very VERY few problems with T-Mobile in the 18 years I've had them. Hubby has had multiple problems with his carrier and is switching to T-Mobile.

If you don't like them, get off their forums.

so helpfull kat.

i forced stop on the rct and got all my old messages to come in   still giving error message though.  tmobile should have communicated with lg by now with a fix   

if i can find the fix on here then tmobile should be giving it out.  i can make calls now

Userlevel 1

Fixed it with LG S 5.

Userlevel 1

ok, just used the following suggestion:

SocialCatastrophe wrote:

Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage

Force stop and clear data.

This has fixed the issue for my mother’s v20.  At least for now…

At least it took away the 3 second pop up notice. However, I did shut down & restart and the messaged started popping up again. So I redid the above directions and the annoying pop up message has stopped,

Thank you thank you...seems to have stopped!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I talked with LG Support chat and they are aware of the issue and are hoping to push a fix out in the next 24 hours.

I asked them specifically if they will do this fix for older phones like the LG v20, and they said “yes”.

The “fix” will be pushed to your phone and found in the same spot as your regular LG Phone updates were located.

Userlevel 1

put the phone on airplane mode. 

Then

Force stop/clear data from com.lge.ims.rcsprovider

This makes is stop, but phone does not work

Then

go to phone, dial 277634#*# to access secret menu

Then 

Go to IMS SETTINGS and switch IP VERSION to IPV4V6

Then restore phone functionality by switching airplane mode off.

Haven't seen the error since doing this.

Still stopping auto-pay and finding another provider. I am DONE with T-mobile

Userlevel 2
Badge

The fix listed above did not work for me on my v20

SocialCatastrophe wrote:

Go to settings → Apps/notifications -> app info -> three dots -> Show System -> com-lge-ims-rcsprovider -> storage

At least it took away the 3 second pop up notice. However, I did shut down & restart and the messaged started popping up again. So I redid the above directions and the annoying pop up message has stopped,

Did not work for me.

SocialCatastrophe wrote:

Thank you thank you...seems to have stopped!!

Sadly it didn't work for me 😔

After trying sever fixes  the above fixed my old XM 212 Aristo plus with replaceable battery... Thanks Gypsyd8 ....although had to go back & forth  on force stop clear data/catches before force stop held...

I did two main steps. Turn on airplane mode. Then do

1. Go to settings – apps & notifications – app info
  2. Click on the three dots in the upper right corner
  3. Select Show System
  4. Click com.lge.ims.rcsprovider
  5. Choose storage
  6. Clear cache, data and force stop

That  didnt help me at all. But I immediately did the next step and it worked.

1. Go to the hidden menu by dialing 277634#*#.
  2. Find and tap on “IP Version.”
  3. Change the setting from “IPV6V4” to “IPV4V6.”

Find IMS Setting then IP Version and change it.

Userlevel 2

Both of our LG phones started getting the “LG IMS Keeps Stopping” popup every three seconds starting yesterday.  I followed the instructions on a half-dozen YouTube videos exactly, and NONE of them had any effect.  Then I checked a half-dozen forums and followed all their advice (except a factory reset) and NONE of them had any effect.

Unfortunately, it appears that some folks on YouTube are exploiting this problem by posting “fixes” that they have not tested or confirmed, because all they want is the views and the clicks.  They know that desperate users will watch the video to the end, even though it does not work.

Evidently T-Mobile changed something on Sunday that makes the LG IMS system app “stutter” (but not stop) every three seconds.  That is apparent because the phone can still send/receive voice calls and text messages, and “clearing the cache” and “force stopping” only works for a few seconds before the app resets and attempts to function again -- triggering that endless popup message every three seconds!

LG has stopped making phones, but supposedly promised support for a couple more years.  T-Mobile and LG have been mum on the problem so far, even though it evidently affects just about every LG phone on T-Mobile -- that could be hundreds of thousands.

It is frustrating that the forums and YouTube are full of false fixes, and the minor news coverage so far says “a small number” are affected (which is not true).

Userlevel 1

Both of our LG phones started getting the “LG IMS Keeps Stopping” popup every three seconds starting yesterday.  I followed the instructions on a half-dozen YouTube videos exactly, and NONE of them had any effect.  Then I checked a half-dozen forums and followed all their advice (except a factory reset) and NONE of them had any effect.

Unfortunately, it appears that some folks on YouTube are exploiting this problem by posting “fixes” that they have not tested or confirmed, because all they want is the views and the clicks.  They know that desperate users will watch the video to the end, even though it does not work.

Evidently T-Mobile changed something on Sunday that makes the LG IMS system app “stutter” (but not stop) every three seconds.  That is apparent because the phone can still send/receive voice calls and text messages, and “clearing the cache” and “force stopping” only works for a few seconds before the app resets and attempts to function again -- triggering that endless popup message every three seconds!

LG has stopped making phones, but supposedly promised support for a couple more years.  T-Mobile and LG have been mum on the problem so far, even though it evidently affects just about every LG phone on T-Mobile -- that could be hundreds of thousands.

It is frustrating that the forums and YouTube are full of false fixes, and the minor news coverage so far says “a small number” are affected (which is not true).

I did the fix and I can at lest use all the functions (Call, text and web) Im using the LG stylo 4. 

LG has folded with their phone division and is no longer making phones. They claim they will keep the current phones updated..  Right now, looking unlikely!  Still getting the pop up.  On my way to buy a Samsung!!!! 

Userlevel 2

THANK YOU to everyone who is trying to help!  It is not your fault that most of us still have non-usable phones!  You are doing a good job trying to help and you deserve total appreciation for your efforts.  By the way, if you purchase a new phone, comment to the retail store why you are doing so… and save the receipts.  This problem is so widespread, it is involving many thousands of persons.  But again, thank you sincerely to all the posters… without you, we would not have evidence of the very large number of people affected.  Much appreciated!

SocialCatastrophe wrote:

<deleted>

More info, with clearer and more extensive instructions: https://www.androidpolice.com/how-to-fix-lg-phones-t-mobile-ims-issues/

This is, so far, working for my Velvet, without the IP tweak.  I pulled my K51 out of mothballs to at least have access, but it needed a bunch of updates, and guess what happened after the first reboot. . .  -  g^2

I did two main steps. Turn on airplane mode. Then do

1. Go to settings – apps & notifications – app info
  2. Click on the three dots in the upper right corner
  3. Select Show System
  4. Click com.lge.ims.rcsprovider
  5. Choose storage
  6. Clear cache, data and force stop

That  didnt help me at all. But I immediately did the next step and it worked.

1. Go to the hidden menu by dialing 277634#*#.
  2. Find and tap on “IP Version.”
  3. Change the setting from “IPV6V4” to “IPV4V6.”

Find IMS Setting then IP Version and change it.

SO i ended up doing this and so far so good. i did have to do step 1 over again like 3 times until the pop up stopped. I then went and dialed the 277634#*# number and found the ip version option and switched to IPV4V6 and it working. atleast for now.

Still working after about 10 hours.

Userlevel 3

"LG IMS has stopped working" popup

AFTER 2 DAYS TRYING TO FIX, i SUCCEEDED WITH THE ‘PARTIAL FIX’ DOING THE FOLLOWING:

NOTES:

• i have two LG V20 Phones and Fix worked for both when following these steps precisely.
  • This fix is lost if you turn the WIFI back on or if phone is set to auto turn on when rebooting/turning on phone.
  • Fix was not lost once resolved by rebooting phone.
  • Fix does not seem to hinder phone operations other than WIFI must remain OFF. You can send & receive calls/texts with no popups.
  • If you need WIFI  for watching video, doing backups, etc., turn back on, but realize nuisance popup will resume and you will need to redo these below steps until T-mobile fixes the problem they caused.
  • Call your State Attorney General and insist on an investigation.

FIX

1. DO NOT FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE
  2. Turn off WIFI
  3. BEBOOT PHONE (ensure WIFI didn’t restart or make it stay off in phone settings
  4. Go to settings →
  5. Apps/notifications ->
  6. App info ->
  7. Three dots ->
  8. Show System ->
  9. com-lge-ims-rcsprovider ->
  10. Storage
  11. CLEAR CACHE
  12. FORCE STOP  (After clearing CACHE)
  13. CLEAR DATA (This will not delete your texts)
  14. FORCE STOP  (After clearing DATA)
  15. Leave Settings. Popups should stop.
  16. Reboot. Popups should remain gone unless you turn WIFI back on.

T-mobile still has not addressed this massive problem publicly as of Mon May 23 10:15pm ET.. Shameful and possibly criminal.

From your home screen, please go into Settings.

Under the Networks tab, and select Mobile Networks.

In this menu go to Access Point Names. Hit 3 dots. Hit Restore Default Settings.

You may see the option for Disable 2G and 3g.

This setting will disable 2G and 3g service on the device.

LTE enables and IMS may correct. 💯 

Leave feedback if I helped you. :)

Happy to help. 😊

Userlevel 1

Still working after about 10 hours.

I had to go through the entire routine THREE (3) times on both of my LG Q7+ to get the pop ups to stop. But, no longer a problem now. Thanks.