LG releases fix for LG IMS crash

Badge

I received a text from T-mobile about a fix being released (by LG) for the LG IMS has stopped error. 

Read the instructions here: t-mo.co/LGIMS

1. From your list of apps, tap the Settings gear.
  2. Either select System or choose the General tab.
  3. Choose Update Center > App Updates.
  4. Select Download for LG IMS Improved and wait for the update to complete.
  5. Press and hold the Power key, then choose to restart your device.

I’m not seeing the update yet but it may be a propagation issue (IOW, it’ll show up soon).

The instructions were a little confusing in 1 because it says from the list of apps. Basically open the settings app then System then Update Center then App Updates. This is where the LG app updates are found.

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I’m not seeing the update yet but it may be a propagation issue (IOW, it’ll show up soon).

There are more instructions if you don’t see the update.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/lg-ims-stopped

If you don't see the update, force the app to close and clear the data:

1. Press and hold the Power key, then choose to restart your device.
  2. From your list of apps, tap the Settings gear.
  3. Choose Apps & notifications. If you don't see that option, tap the General tab.
  4. Select App info. Tap the Menu icon with three dots, then choose Show system.
  5. Choose com.lge.ims.rcsprovider from the list, then select Force Stop > OK.
    Important: There are multiple apps with com.lge in the name. Make sure you're selecting the correct one.
  6. Tap Storage and choose to Clear Cache.
  7. When that's done, select Clear Data > OK.
  8. Select the Back arrow to return to the previous screen. Select Force Stop > OK for a second time.
  9. If the message still shows, choose Force Stop > OK again. You may need to do this several times.
Badge

There are more instructions if you don’t see the update.

Thanks for posting. I had followed the additional instructions and there was still no update showing for me. Do you have an LG phone and did you see the update?

An important take away from the added instructions. The app updates may only refresh with a restart of the phone so if you don’t see the update yet (like me), you may need to do a restart before you will see it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have a LG V30 and I don't see an update but I was able to apply one of the fixes posted here and it worked.

Contact your State Attorney General and ask for a class action lawsuit 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yea and get a $3 settlement.

Badge

I have a LG V30 and I don't see an update but I was able to apply one of the fixes posted here and it worked.

These steps worked for me and have survived restarting as well.

•  tap the Settings gear.
  • Choose Apps & notifications. If you don't see that option, tap the General tab.
  • Select App info. Tap the Menu icon with three dots, then choose Show system.
  • Choose com.lge.ims.rcsprovider from the list, then select Force Stop > OK.
    Important: There are multiple apps with com.lge in the name. Make sure you're selecting the correct one.
  • Tap Storage and choose to Clear Cache.
  • When that's done, select Clear Data > OK.
  • Select the Back arrow to return to the previous screen. Select Force Stop > OK for a second time.
  • If the message still shows, choose Force Stop > OK again. You may need to do this several times.

The key to it working (for me) was having to do the force stop/clear data repeatedly.

That T-mobile borked every LG phone and:

• didn’t roll back the change by Sunday night when they had to have known it was their change that caused the problem
  • used it as an opportunity to push new phones

certainly seems a bit sleazy. They definitely should get some pushback from customer who were affected. At very least, they should apologize. A bill credit for the last week would go a long way to letting us know they are aware of where responsibility lies.

I give LG kudo’s. Considering they aren’t in the phone business any longer but still pushed out a fix in a few days seems pretty good to me.

I’m still not seeing the update. Propagation can take up to 48 hours typically. If anyone gets the update, please post so the rest of us have some hope of seeing a fix soon.

my fix came through today from LG 😎

Userlevel 1

Is it safe to restart the phone after lg fix is in the phone? I'm a little scared to do it. Does anyone know?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Is it safe to restart the phone after lg fix is in the phone? I'm a little scared to do it. Does anyone know?

kind of hard to rule out if its fixed or not without testing if the restart switches it back or not.

I installed the "improved" software, reset my phone and the issue returned immediately, kept having to clear the cache and force stop severaltimes. The update did literally nothing!!!!!

It’s June 1st.
I’ve done both fixes, from the one going into  com.lge.ims.rcsprovider and clearing data/cache, etc, and the “fix” that T-Mobile sent.
My LG Stylo6 phone will still not receive calls.  I can now make calls, which I couldn’t do that before.
Nothing else I can do BUT buy a new phone...(yeah, I know mine is OLD but it works perfectly for what I need it for)
Pretty upset as I depend on this phone for my business and am missing calls.
ANYTHING else i can do besides taking it into the store and having them work on it?

Userlevel 3

Yea and get a $3 settlement.

This is racketeering and people need to go to jail.

Userlevel 3

These steps worked for me and have survived restarting as well.

•  tap the Settings gear.
  • Choose Apps & notifications. If you don't see that option, tap the General tab.
  • Select App info. Tap the Menu icon with three dots, then choose Show system.
  • Choose com.lge.ims.rcsprovider from the list, then select Force Stop > OK.
  • Tap Storage and choose to Clear Cache.
  • When that's done, select Clear Data > OK.
  • Select the Back arrow to return to the previous screen. Select Force Stop > OK for a second time.
  • If the message still shows, choose Force Stop > OK again. You may need to do this several times.

The key to it working (for me) was having to do the force stop/clear data repeatedly.

That T-mobile borked every LG phone and:

• didn’t roll back the change by Sunday night when they had to have known it was their change that caused the problem
  • used it as an opportunity to push new phones

certainly seems a bit sleazy. They definitely should get some pushback from customer who were affected. At very least, they should apologize. A bill credit for the last week would go a long way to letting us know they are aware of where responsibility lies.

I give LG kudo’s. Considering they aren’t in the phone business any longer but still pushed out a fix in a few days seems pretty good to me.

I’m still not seeing the update. Propagation can take up to 48 hours typically. If anyone gets the update, please post so the rest of us have some hope of seeing a fix soon.

This is the same iffy fix a tech savvy customer suggested 2 weeks ago tomorrow and posted here. T-mobile has not even officially addressed this issue affecting hundreds of thousands of customers. Call your AG. I want problem fixed not a new phone. My LG is superb and has replaceable batteries.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

answer is posted in the link above.