Solved

LG Stylo 2 previously on Sprint won't work on T-Mobile

• 26 January 2019
  • 9 replies

I have a LG Stylo 2 that was previously used on a Sprint network. I had it unlocked and currently have a T-Mobile sim card inserted in the phone. However I am still getting the Sprint logo and the phone is essentially dead, in that it can't find any signal (signal strength 0 dBm) and I am not even sure it is looking for one. I have gone through the settings and the only one relevant seems to be Network Mode which is set to GSM/UMTS. I have called T-Mobile support like a zillion times and they seem unable/incapable of fixing the issue. I am at a loss.

icon

Best answer by snn555 26 January 2019, 18:16

It isn't 100% tmo compatible.

You need a new phone .

https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-LS775-Sprint-stylo-2

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6

It isn't 100% tmo compatible.

You need a new phone .

https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-LS775-Sprint-stylo-2

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Yesterday I was looking for info regarding this phone. It will work on about 5 other networks, but T-Mobile wasn't one.

Userlevel 6

It will partially work, but who wants patial connectivity?

The critical information is found in the frequency section of the tech specs:

"Frequencies

CDMA Band Class 0/1/10;

LTE Bands 2/4/5/12/25/26/41;

UMTS 1,2,4,5;

GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz"

Addressing these one-at-a-time:
CDMA: Not used by T-Mobile
LTE: of the bands listed, T-Mobile uses bands 2, 4 & 12 (and 5 in Myrtle Beach)

UMTS: T-Mobile uses 2 & 4

GSM: T-Mobile uses 1900.

I'm not sure why your phone does not work because according to LG's tech specs, it should.
Maybe you could give us some more information. When you do a manual network search does it show T-Mobile? What happens if you try to manually select T-Mobile?

Userlevel 6

Wouldn't it also need 1700 and 2100 for full support?

Might dedepend on the available signal in the area user is in.

snn555 wrote:

Wouldn't it also need 1700 and 2100 for full support?

Might dedepend on the available signal in the area user is in.

1700 and 2100 confuse a lot of people. It's better to refer to band numbers. 2100 MHz is band 1, which is not used in North America. The North American "AWS" band straddles band 2 with the uplink around 1700 MHz and the downlink around 2100 MHz. This is standardized as LTE band 4 and band 66. Applied to phones, they are completely different animals. Band 1 and band 4/66 have no compatibility, even though they operate around the same frequencies.

Thanks for all the responses and sorry for my delayed reply. I was originally on a prepaid plan and was using a LG K7. The plan was very basic -just voice and text, no data. My understanding was that it using the GSM/UMTS network and not LTE. Anyway I lost the K7 phone and thought would save some money by switching the plan to a LG Stylo 2 (as prepaid phones are not subsidized) which was previously used on a Sprint Network. The LG Stylo 2 was designed to be used on Sprint 4G LTE but is capable of being used on GSM/UMTS -in fact you can go to Settings and choose GSM/UMTS as I did. But I could not get it to work with a new SIM card.  Maybe there is come compatibility issue -which can be easily sorted out by someone technically knowledgeable at T-Mobile. Unfortunately when you contact T-Mobile Tech Support, you get transferred to some call center in the Philippines and although they are all very polite they don't have any technical background. So I ended wasting about a month breaking my head and have now finally given up.  Makes me wonder how people have switched a phone from a different carrier to T-Mobile, because T-Mobile tech support is just awful.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I don't have a clue about the bands stuff. In Aug 2017 I joined T-Mobile, and brought an S5 (unlocked AT&T). It worked okay, but after 4 months I decided on buying an LG Stylo 3 Plus ($275). I don't believe in a $1000 phone. I am on the $3 a month plan (voice only). I stronly suggest to future customers coming to T-Mobile to do your research FIRST, and especially if you BYOD (Bring Your Own Device). About the 611 bunch I don't know of a company who doesn't have call centers in the Philippines. I thought they were given the training and manuals to use. They do a great job listening to me complain about access to the site and app.

Iam with tmobile i have a lg stylus 2 plus it works fine im on it now