Question

LG V60 ThinQ screen or proximity sensor gone wonky and looking for solutions.My

• 21 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

My wife’s LG V60 ThnkQ  has either a screen proiblem or a faulty proximity=ty sensor. This manifests it’s self in this way. Numerous times during a a call her phone seems to drop the call. I can no longer hear her but she can hear me just fine. It’s gotten to the point that I just calmly say your “Check your phone” and a few seconds later she will come back and I’ll be able to hear her again. It’s gotten progressively worse since we got the phone. Today, a 3 minute conversation it happened four times and made the conversation twice the length it needed to be. Basically the damn screen just turns on and her cheek will mute the call or call somebody else or who knows what? I have seen references to this issue on Reddit and here as well but if there has been a solution nobody says what it is.

Here is the real problem: She works as a therapist for the city in which we live working with people at risk of all sorts of calamities and really cannot have a garbage phone with non working bits, this has go to stop. Also, we are still on Sprint’s network since when we bought her phone and my Note 20 ultra T-Mobile’s network in our area was as bad as can be imagined so the store put us back on the Sprint network. I’m not sure if that matters but it says give as mush detail as possible.  No, she does have a screen protector even though cell phone screens are about as durable as eyeballs so even though it’s stupid not to have one on the phone we cant really run the risk of that screwing up another feature. If you can offer some advice, please do as we are open to anything. Otherwise I’m going to use the insurance and get another phone. Thanks !

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Trade it in towards a newer and better device. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

only time i have ran into this with my V60 was while using my shoulder to hold my phone to my head while i was trying to do other things..phones comes away from face...prox sensor senses this and wakes up screen..cheek starts pressing things.

Badge

Well in a perfect world that would happen but as crazy as this may sound to you, not everybody has the kind of money to just run out and buy a new phone when the one they just paid hundreds of dollars for should work. You may consider checking your privellege. I came here for a solution not snark. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Well in a perfect world that would happen but as crazy as this may sound to you, not everybody has the kind of money to just run out and buy a new phone when the one they just paid hundreds of dollars for should work. You may consider checking your privellege. I came here for a solution not snark. 

It was a suggestion considering your device is discontinued and made by a company that left the cellular business almost a year ago.  With no updates for your device to come.  There are usually trade-in offers available for devices that end up costing you next to nothing in the end outside of the taxes.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

forgot to ask originally..but does she have a screen protector and or phone case on it? wondering if the screen protector might be throwing it off a bit or the case might be covering it a bit more than it should. if both are on it i would remove the case for now and then test it for a bit..if it happens still then put it back on and look closely at where the screen protector covers the prox sensor area..is it overlapping it? fully open? fully covered?

Well, t-mobile had no problem SELLING UP this LG v60 dual phone WITHOUT saying LG wasn't in the business & wouldn't be supporting a device that said it including 2 yr support. And at less than 1.5 yrs, I'm told the phone is out of the warranty period (1 yr). And if you couldn't afford that extra $15 insurance, T-mobile won't replace the phone either.

It's not even paid off! So I'm living with LGIMS issues, the screen goes dark on answering a call, etc etc.

Or maybe going back to Verizon whi will pay off this phone and sell me a plan (& maybe) give me a new phone for the tax & activation costs.

It was a suggestion considering your device is discontinued and made by a company that left the cellular business almost a year ago. 

I realize that this is a year old, but in case you were still having difficulties or someone else came across this, there’s a secret menu on the V60 that can be accessed by dialing *#546368#*600#.  One you do this, the menu will automatically pop up.  Select Device Test, then SAAT, then Service Menu - Auto Test.  This will run an auto-detection test.  Your device should pass, and at the bottom of the screen there are two buttons: Pass and Fail.  Select Pass, and the Proximity Sensor Calibration test will open.  Follow the instructions, and it should recalibrate the proximity sensor.

I couldn’t find a video for how to perform this test on a V60, but this is a video for how it works on an LG G4.  On this phone, you access the test a bit differently, but it should essentially function the same.