LTE Band 12

I'm new to the forum (although I've been with T-Mobile for years) so please excuse me if this topic has been beat to death. I am in the process of buying a new phone and because I live in a non-metro area where T-Mobile coverage is sketchy at best there were two things I wanted. (1) Wifi Calling - which is on all new Tmobile phones and band 12 LTE coverage. TMobile has been bragging about the new spectrum they have purchased in this band and because it's 700MHz it will really improve coverage strength. Since the info on the site seemed contradictory, I called technical service not once but twice with a simple question - which TMobile phones have band 12 radios. To my amazement, they don't seem to know and were only able to point out the ZTE Max (the site, by the way, doesn't show it as covering band 12). This is not a minor issue, in most cases this is not something that can be changed by software update but will require buying a new phone. Imagine all the people who have purchased iPhones 6 and 6+ that don't have these bands. They may not be aware of it now but if they're located in an area where TMobile has purchased this spectrum they'll find out when they can't use it. My particular question was on the Samsung Note 4 which ATT shows as having this band while TMobile says it doesn't. I tend to think it does but I'm not about ready to spend $750 when TMobile claims it doesn't have that band. Anyhow the obvious answer for me is to switch to a company that knows what phones support their bandwidth, but just for my general curiosity shouldn't Tmobile be able to tell its customers which phones they sell that support their spectrum and clearly set this out on their site? If anyone here does know which current phones sold on Tmobile definitely cover band 12 would you be kind enough to post it for the rest of us.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The Note 4 has LTE band 12.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 official spec list confirms band 12 700MHz compatibility » TmoNews

The Nexus 6, just announced today, supports LTE band 12.

T-Mobile to Bring Nexus 6 to its Data Strong Network this November | T-Mobile Newsroom

Nexus 6 – Google

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a Note 4, although I noticed that Tmobile in its specs is still not showing that it supports it. When I get it if the box shows that it has it I'll post it here, if not I'll return it and probably just switch to another phone company that can answer simple questions about their service. You must admit that it is hilarious that a wireless company can't tell it's customers which product supports their network, especially when they are bragging about their new spectrum. It will be interesting to see how customers act when they find out that their new, expensive phones have to be replaced to access network improvements throughout the country.

Completely agree. For those of us who found this thread because we're trying to find out the same thing (since T-Mo itself has been of no help) does anyone know which non-phablet sized phones support band 12? The Note 4 and Nexus 6 are going to be too large for most people. I had hoped that the 2nd Gen Moto X (which I'd heard the Nexus 6 was essentially a larger version of) would offer band 12 also but, unfortunately it does not - oddly, it doesn't offer many of the bands which the Nexus 6 includes. So, not only is it useless for future-proofing with T-Mobile but it's also useless for a lot of international roaming. So, I'm still looking for a new normal-sized smartphone with band 12 support. I'd have to imagine there are (and will be) many others as well.

They don't nor in some cases do the manufacturers want to go on the record with phone a or b does support Band 12 when it is not live nor approved to be live by the FCC yet and if it requires lets say some tweeks that the hardware "should have supported" but now doesn't it could be a legal mess.

Now with that being said the Note4 does on the box say Band 12 now does that mean it will require an OTA maybe maybe not.

As for regular phones the only one that I know will cover it is the Sony Z3 but have heard it is not active and will require an OTA for sure but that the hardware supports the frequency.  Now are their other phones out their that "have the hardware" unfortunately we won't know until it goes live.

the Samsung Avant DOES have a hardware radio that supports band 12. However it is not enabled and you will need to access the service menu to do so. These instructions were provided to me through the technical team at t-mobile.

Like you say, she (very nice person) did not know which phones were compaitible either. I did ask her if there were any warranty issues to consider and she said no - only if you were to root the phone would that be an issue.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1853921-How-to-enable-Band-12-on-Samsung-Galaxy-Avant

I'm with you.  Instead of a 2014 flagship I just picked up a '13 Moto G last year to use as a stop-gap until the upcoming generation comes out, assuming they will have it.  The Galaxy S6 and/or HTC M9 have to have it, right??  You'd think so but then again wtf didn't the Moto X when released 5months ago.  Guess I'll be searching every day until there's official word.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You may want the new Moto E.

New Moto E released, comes with T-Mobile-flavored LTE band 2, 4 and 12 » TmoNews

The AT&T GS6 have LTE Band 12. Have no idea why the Tmobile don't have that band. I will confirm once I receive the phone on Monday for ya.

My understanding of why the Galaxy S6 is reputed to not have band-12 has to do with T-Mobile's tradition of being sloppy about publishing phone specs. On one web page they say "B17" on another they say "B12".

I saw on another thread it does.

They don't have the information right on the specs page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

According to spectrum gateway it will have band 12 but it might not be active out of the

box though.

Devices compatible with 700 MHz A block spectrum - Spectrum Gateway

This is WP and not Android, but the Lumia 640 (5" screen) will have Band 12: Microsoft Lumia 640 Windows Phone | Lumia 640 | T-Mobile