Question

Mobile Phone Hotspot not letting me play multiplayer games

Badge

Hello, so I just started using my Mobile Phone Hotspot to play video games on my laptop(League of Legends, Apex Legends, Battlefield) and initially I had no issues. It was working, but now that I got more speed so I won’t lag, my multiplayer games won’t connect. My  hotspot works, but it’s not communicating with video game servers. I looked into it and apparently it deals with porting but that was a few months ago. My games were working just a few weeks ago and now wont connect just recently. Is there a fix or a setting I can do? 

17 replies

Badge

Note: I tried it with another phone/company and it seemed to work then .

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

whats your data usage so far?

Badge

I have about 22.14 Gb usage

Same problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

have you tested your speeds? if so what was your download, upload and ping?

I tried in 5g and it wont work but in 4glte it work. I think is about p to p or something related

Anyone ever find a fix for this because I have not gotten anywhere after spending 2 days talking to support 

Anyone ever find a fix for this because I have not gotten anywhere after spending 2 days talking to support 

Yes, you have to choose the 3rd option down. 3g only or the one above the bottom. Then it works fine. Played overwatch last night, apex legends and discord was working flawlessly. Do USB tethering instead of hotspot

WTF! This is absurd. Upgraded to magenta plan specifically for a lot of multi-player gaming. Same issue. Can't start a game in Carcassone, Fury Unleashed, Diablo. I can start a Diablo game but my buddy can't join. It never sets up the match right. I connected to his phone and Boom. Problem solved.

It's 2022 and t-mobile doesn't even allow us to multi-player game? Ridiculous.  Tempted to switch cell phone companies over this

What I really don't get is my Nintendo switch says I'm NAT B on my Hotspot. Which is open. Everything should work. I can access the switch online store just fine. But try to host a game and forget it. On his Hotspot my NAT is D. Which is partially closed and my speed is half. However everything works fine on his Hotspot.

I see some of you drop to 3G and it works. That's crazy we have to do that. I tried 4G and no go. Haven't tried 3G yet. We pay all this money and need to use speeds that are a decade behind. T-mobile needs to fix this!

Hey guys I think I found a fix. For the life of me I can't figure out why this seems to work. But I was able to create a Fury Unleashed game without the connection error. I did try 3G, 4G and 5G. None of those work. Out of desperation I changed WPA2 personal in my security under Hotspot to WPA2/WPA3 Personal. And now everything seems to work

I can't possibly imagine how that would change anything and makes zero sense to me. Give it a try and comment back if it works.

Yes, you have to choose the 3rd option down. 3g only or the one above the bottom. Then it works fine. Played overwatch last night, apex legends and discord was working flawlessly. Do USB tethering instead of hotspot

Finally! This worked for me too! Thank you so much!

I also have same Problem with my phone When i Play game on phone like this (www.ben10gamesfree.info).

Fix

Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names... Tap the existing entry to open it and screenshot or make a note of the settings.

Go back to the precious screen, Access Point Names... click ...Add and give it whatever name you want. Mimic the settings you took note of but change APN Protocol & APN Roaming Protocol to IPv4 Tap the 3 vertical dots at the top and hit save. Now select your newly created Access Point, your service should disconnect then reconnect.

hope this helps other, worked for me for league of legends 

if this don’t work try setting APN Protocol & APN Roaming Protocol to IPv4/IPv6

If this helps any one post your outcome with the name of game your playing

maybe some one can buy this old wounded warrior a meal (will Code For Food) :P

Fix

Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names... Tap the existing entry to open it and screenshot or make a note of the settings.

Go back to the precious screen, Access Point Names... click ...Add and give it whatever name you want. Mimic the settings you took note of but change APN Protocol & APN Roaming Protocol to IPv4 Tap the 3 vertical dots at the top and hit save. Now select your newly created Access Point, your service should disconnect then reconnect.

hope this helps other, worked for me for league of legends 

if this don’t work try setting APN Protocol & APN Roaming Protocol to IPv4/IPv6

If this helps any one post your outcome with the name of game your playing

maybe some one can buy this old wounded warrior a meal (will Code For Food) :P

I am so hopeful that this may work to fix the problem with my son's switch. It's been showing NAT type D for so long, and after following this instruction it changed to B. We moved across country and it's so important for my son to be able to play games with my little brothers. It helps the distance not feel so big. Anyways when one of them wakes up and can log on I'm really interested to see if it'll finally work. If so I just want to thank you truly from my heart because in this circumstance it's more than just gaming, it's family time and connection between my children and siblings. 

#TuesdayB I also set Network operators to automatic (not sure if that helps). I used to be blocked from a bunch of multiplayer games like warzone cod for pc on Blizzard Battle.net and league of legends by RiotGames Pc all now connected at 5G Mobile Hotspot T-mobile, My Device is Samsung 21g ultra. when it comes to the kids man ill do anything, i once made a version of mincraft for android so my kids and and there friends could all play lan with an xbox one cause 6 kids with 2 controllers don’t work lol . now 1 controller and 5 androids and I get me time again lol well more then i used to...if there is a specific game your trying to log let me know and i can try it my side and see if we can colab a solution for you. if understand correct its a switch game? which one? i don’t own a switch but i have access to every game ever made on pc , amongst Ps4 and Xbox games re wrote to work on pc.

But if I use my wife's pixel 3a as a hotspot it works every time!

One thing I have found is that the download speed is less than 1 mbps on the vita and on my android head unit in the car but when i hotspot to my fire tab or dell laptop its 21mbps+

My wife's phone is consistently good on all devices and we're both on ee

Why?

But if I use other mobile to connect hotspot for working on my project ,its speed  become extreme slow.

But if I use my wife's pixel 3a as a hotspot it works every time!

One thing I have found is that the download speed is less than 1 mbps on the vita and on my android head unit in the car but when i hotspot to my fire tab or dell laptop its 21mbps+

My wife's phone is consistently good on all devices and we're both on ee

Why?

But if I use other mobile to connect hotspot for working on my project ,its speed  become extreme slow.

As far I understand you mean that on your wife's  pixel 3a your able to  play multi-player games through its hotspot? If so the reason is the Google pixel 3a is only a 4g capable phone. It has default ipv4 and ipv6 set as default. 5 g phones normally or t-mobile ones seem to all be set to ipv6 we're the issue is coming into play.  5 g being slightly new technology the coding for its ipv6 is poor and hence some devices trying to run fail to reach game server. Ipv4 has alot more history hence they have had more time in its coding development. A 4 g phone like your wife's pixel 3a by default is set to ipv4 . For some just switching to 4g or lower will allow more multi-player games to function and connect to game host servers correctly.  What I posted above was what worked for me to play multi-player games on and at 5g speeds.  4g is alight for some but like cod warzone 5g is what makes a difference. Also another work around is using a VPN like ipvanish. Hope that all clears up a few things in what you got going on. As far as the vita and car head those might have the equivalent of 2 g technology at best if I am correct hence the slow connection speed. And if you expect a phone hotspot to replace a router and try to split its connection to more than 1 device other then web browsing it hardware issues or lack there for of... as previously stated my hotspot runs off a samsung 21g ultra and that has low expectations on more then 1 connection. For my phone settings under battery actually were set to miminal performance rather then max. Things got a lot more responsive after switching this. Goodnight and God bless.