Solved

Moto Z2 Force - Group texting not working correctly. Any one else having group texting issues?

Just got my Moto Z2 force yesterday and found that group texting doesn't seem to work correctly.   Use the message app that came with phone and android message app from play store.  Also happens in facebooks messanger apps.

I can start a group text with no issue but when people respond back i get individual text back or it come to group and individual text.  Most of the time it will come in a individual text. 

I've disable the pre install messenger app to see if that would help with adroid messenger  and facebook messenger and it does not.

Any one else having group text issues?

icon

Best answer by tmo_marissa 4 September 2017, 01:33

This is super weird! I tried to check our internal known issues to see if we have a listing for it; but so far, not even the peep of a single bullet on a Known Issues page for this phone. It honestly might just be too new for this to have been trended to that degree yet. Have either of you guys had the chance to file a ticket on our side with the Tech team (or T-Force) while you were digging for answers on this? Even if the end result is an issue with the Motorola software, it would be good to know that we've got records of this on our side with the kind of details that let the engineering folks trace the messages and see what's happening!

- Marissa

View original

45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I can verify it doesn't work correctly. It sends out fine, but responses are separate.

Thank you for your reply.

From my searches online it seem to be only with T-mobile Z2 force phones.  I haven't seen any user with  Z2 Force outside of T-mobile report issues.

Curious to see if there is any way to confirm this with T-mobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Seems to affect some users, but not all users.  From what I have seen on various other forums it might stem from people on Digits and people on iPhones within the group increases the chances.  Also there is a bug doesn't matter which version that using a 3rd party messaging app mutes notification sounds.  You'll get the icon and such but no sound which I find odd.  Happens to all 3rd party SMS apps so far I have tested.

I do have digit enable but the group texting within digits seems to be works correctly, well I least it looks to be working.  While the Android Messenger still have individual text.  As for Iphone, I suspected that was one cause too but haven't confirmed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I have had it work for me from time to time, but I noticed the groups with iPhones it never worked so far.  I have Digits and it works for all other devices but this one as to why I think there has to be something related.  Been looking more into it, but since this device isn't all that popular I think it'll be a while before we can see if it's exclusive to T-Mobile versions or all versions.

Thanks for the info!

I'm going to post something with Motorola/Leonvo too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

That's always a good option.  Let them know to look into it.  Hopefully they'll figure it out soon. 😊

This is a pretty serious problem. I mean, what is the point of a group message when all your replies are coming in separately. This is a bit of a tricky issue though as the network is still delivering the messages to your phone but the device itself is splitting them up. With this being a T-Mobile branded phone, the MMS and APN setting should be correct and there is no need to mess with them. This might sound silly, but did you get a chance to check the settings within the messaging app to ensure that Group Messaging is enabled?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hey!

Just want to see if you had the chance to try the suggestion Chris gave? Please come back and let us know. Thank you!

Group messaging is enabled

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Currently have dialog with Motorola developers to figure out what the issue is.

Currently we are working on.

1.  Group SMS issue

2.  Notification issues regarding 3rd party.  We pinpointed it is the summit rcs.

3.  Notifications not going away after replying through the notification shade.

If you know of any other issues then I can also pass those along.

Clarification -

I do not work for T-Mobile

I do not work for Motorola

Userlevel 6

Hey @tidbits​ and @rockstargenes​! Just wanted to check in here and see if you'd heard anything back from Motorola. I also want to clarify, am I reading this correctly that the incoming group messages do work on DIGITS, just not on any other messaging platforms, or are they splitting when coming back in the DIGITS app as well? Thanks!

- Marissa

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

tmo_marissa wrote:

Hey @tidbits and @rockstargenes! Just wanted to check in here and see if you'd heard anything back from Motorola. I also want to clarify, am I reading this correctly that the incoming group messages do work on DIGITS, just not on any other messaging platforms, or are they splitting when coming back in the DIGITS app as well? Thanks!

- Marissa

Everything works fine within digits, and other devices(lucky me I have tons to test with lol).  It splits with 3rd party apps and the stock app on the Z2 Force.  Other devices no matter what is used is fine.  This is how I know it's the phone software that causing the problem.

We have concluded those who don't get notifications it's the Summit RCS system app that is causing the problem for that.  It requires ADB to disable.  It does effectively kill off RCS services if you do this.

Userlevel 6

This is super weird! I tried to check our internal known issues to see if we have a listing for it; but so far, not even the peep of a single bullet on a Known Issues page for this phone. It honestly might just be too new for this to have been trended to that degree yet. Have either of you guys had the chance to file a ticket on our side with the Tech team (or T-Force) while you were digging for answers on this? Even if the end result is an issue with the Motorola software, it would be good to know that we've got records of this on our side with the kind of details that let the engineering folks trace the messages and see what's happening!

- Marissa

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

tmo_marissa wrote:

- Marissa

I haven't brought it up with T-Force, or your tech team.  I have been actively sending logs and such to Motorola, and they've been doing some internal testing.  They were able to reproduce the problem on their end on a lot of things I have sent them.

Userlevel 6

Whoa! That's actually kind of cool (not cool that it's happening, but that you've been able to work with someone who's repro'd the issue). If you could keep us posted on this, that would be awesome!

- Marissa

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Will do, They've been working on the notifications not coming in when using 3rd party right now.  The text issues is sporadic and can't pinpoint the problem. They think it may be the same thing that causing the issue.  It won't work for like a few hundred texts then all of a sudden it will work like intended for a few minutes and then back to normal.  I have already sent 3,200 text since the cycle reset.  My average is 800.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

heads up update coming out.  It will not fix the problems as the update was in development long before reports of these problems.  More than likely the fix will be coming the next update if possible.

Userlevel 6

Well at least it's super nice to know that everyone doesn't need to rush to test this! 😉 Thanks for the heads up!

- Marissa

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Here's an update.

Fix for the no notifications issue should be fixed.  They are aware of the problem and can reproduce the problem.  Summit RCS is it and working to fix it.

Now as the the group text it happens with other carriers in a different way being sent so it seems it is not specific to T-Mobile or RCS, but then again the problem stops with Summit RCS is disabled it appears.  We get the group text, and we also get individual texts.  So next week we are doing a couples of hours of debugging to see if we can see anything.  Will update you some more after it.

I'm experiencing same issue.  I have Moto-Z2 Force.

Looking to see if anyone has updates on this?

From reading other forums, Motorola has been working with users but have not been able to resolve issues

I've been living with this issue for 2 month now but was assuming they would have fix something this serious with group texting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Not yet, they can at time reproduce the issues the logs show exactly the same thing over and over and over again.  They are wondering if it's a T-Mobile network work thing that affects certain areas.  What I did find out it may be the case.

I have my Force stolen which had the problem full blown.  I couldn't do group messages at all.  I finally replaced my Force and that one didn't have it full blown.  It happens every once in a while. 

Userlevel 6

Thanks so much for staying on top of this, and for the updates, @tidbits​. I'm sorry to read about your stolen phone, though! Eek.

Thanks for the update!