Solved

Motorola Moto X and Wi-Fi calling

• 27 December 2013
  • 8 replies

Am I correct that T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling is not available on the Motorola Moto X?  If not, then any chance that it might be offered with a future Android software update?  Love the phone, but really need Wi-Fi calling.

icon

Best answer by nev_tech 27 December 2013, 18:39

Hey @kbmaverick!  I want to make sure you are able to use your phone anywhere!  The device shows it is not available Wi-Fi calling: Motorola Moto X.  I found no information that it should have or will get it with an update.  If T-Mobile's coverage map looks good but your coverage is not, T-Mobile’s 4G Network | Check Your Coverage | T-Mobile Blazing Fast 4G Coverage I would recommend contacting T-Mobile so they can see if the coverage can be improved.  Contact Us

If the area is just poor coverage I would recommend returning the device if possible and getting another android that supports WiFi calling.

Let me know if this helps 😊

Nevin

View original

8 replies

Hey @kbmaverick!  I want to make sure you are able to use your phone anywhere!  The device shows it is not available Wi-Fi calling: Motorola Moto X.  I found no information that it should have or will get it with an update.  If T-Mobile's coverage map looks good but your coverage is not, T-Mobile’s 4G Network | Check Your Coverage | T-Mobile Blazing Fast 4G Coverage I would recommend contacting T-Mobile so they can see if the coverage can be improved.  Contact Us

If the area is just poor coverage I would recommend returning the device if possible and getting another android that supports WiFi calling.

Let me know if this helps 😊

Nevin

I believe you are correct Nevin.  Too bad, because I really like the size and feel of that phone.   

We actually have very good T-Mobile coverage here in Miami.  Better than Verizon which I had previously, but not as good as AT&T who has been here the longest and has by far the best network in the Florida Keys.

I actually would like to have Wi-Fi calling for my travel overseas.  Just about every week I am flying to Europe for work, and Wi-Fi calling would be a really useful feature when wireless is available.  The new global roaming feature offered free by T-Mobile sort of negates my immediate need for Wi-Fi calling.  But it would still be a handy feature to have, especially when my wife is visiting her family in Brazil.

Thanks

Anytime kbmaverick!  Keep in mind there are 3rd party apps that could work if both parties have the apps installed on there devices.  These are not supported by T-Mobile however it could be a great way for you and your wife to communicate when she is away.  I found you a few links that could work for you.

http://www.rebtel.com/en/International-Calling-Guide/Mobile-Apps/Top-5-apps-for-WiFi-Calling-in-2013/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/skip-the-cell-plan-make-voice-calls-using-wi-fi/

Badge +2

In a similar boat as you kbm.  I like the size/feel/etc of the Moto X and although reception is a little better at my home compared to my prior phone, Wifi would be the best.  Of course, the only place I really need it is at home, although I don't use Wifi calling a ton as we still have a traditional landline, but it's nice when coming home from work, getting out of the car to come in and not losing calls.  Still on the fence on whether to keep or not and only have a few days left to decide and get back to Motorola.  Otherwise, that issue and not as many widgets, the Moto X is a pretty cool phone.  Such a dilemma, though, as most phones are getting way too big for my liking and 5S doesn't support Wifi calling either.  Ughhh.

I agree with you Chris, the Moto X is just about the perfect size/shape for my hand, and not too big for my pocket.  The screen size is a perfect compromise.  The Galaxy 4S just feels too big, and I am probably one of the few who doesn't like holding the iPhone. 

I prefer iOS to Android, but to me a smartphone is still a communication and information tool, not a toy.  As a result, either operating system would work fine for me.

What kills me is the need for Wi-Fi calling.  I hate the idea of not having it on my next phone.  

Does anyone know if the Moto X will receive WiFi calling when the Lollipop update comes out?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Lollipop will have WiFi calling baked into the OS, much like Apple's new OS, so Wifi calling

should work.

So I got lollipop on my 2nd gen Moto X and still can't find Wi-Fi calling feature available. Anyone know for sure if that'll ever become available?