Question

Mute start up sound

I just got the Galaxy S10 and can't figure out how to turn off the short jingle it plays when I turn it on. I have muted system sounds which I would have thought would have done the trick but it still plays the sound. Can anyone tell me how to mute this so I don't wake the family when I turn on my phone? Thanks.

14 replies

The only way I have been able to do this on any of my Samsung phones is to change the system volume to 0.

Yeah, I think that's what I did for my S7 but doesn't seem to do the trick for the S10.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Rename or delete the sound file it is using.  Otherwise, flash the U1 firmware with full wipe, which will replace the boot animation with the stock Samsung logo.  You will lose video calling as a result though along with some T-Mobile bloatware.

Userlevel 5

Hmm.

System volume to zero should absolutely fix it, that's so bizarre.

It certainly won't be an immediate fix, but I'm going to go ahead and take this back to our Samsung liaison so they can make the manufacturer aware.

-Lauren

Lauren,

Thanks for the response. I can guarantee that my system volume was muted but it still made the sound on start-up…..once. It hasn’t done it since. Not sure why it would do that but I’m not having the problem anymore.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Is there a way to turn the T-Mobile jingle back on in a V30? When I got the phone 2 weeks ago it was working. A week ago I could feel a very slight vibration upon boot, and no jingle. I remember when I had the Stylo 3 Plus the same thing happened.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

When my V30 updated to OREO it disabled the T-Mobile jingle.

How do I find the sound file?

Despite many complaints about the obnoxious startup sound, Tmobile is tone deaf and has removed the toggle to switch it off.  I am going to switch to Verizon next cycle, hopefully they listen to the customer.

Despite many complaints about the obnoxious startup sound, Tmobile is tone deaf and has removed the toggle to switch it off.  I am going to switch to Verizon next cycle, hopefully they listen to the customer.

I just a Note 10 Plus and have the same issues! I swear I should ditch T-Mobile too. Either enable us to deactivate the annoying TMO jiggle or just get rid of it all together. You can't miss the huge magenta screen flashing. Don't need to be forced to listen to the sound as well. And yes, remembering to turn my system volume down prior to every reboot it just a stupid waste of extra button clicks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Without rooting and or flashing to a custom ROM, you will not be able to disable or remove the startup sound, which is embedded in the bootloader animation file.  You could flash it to the U1 firmware though, which doesn’t require root or unlocking the bootloader to do, which will give you Samsung’s stock firmware and boot animation.  XDA’s forum for your specific Samsung device is the best place to find those instructions.  

I really dont like when my phone plays the t-mobile sound, sometimes i forget to press mute and still get that very loud tmobile sound. This has woken my children up when i restart my phone at night. they should at least reduce the sound and make it quiet or have an option to remove the sound completely. T-mobile please look into an on/off switch for your boot sound.

sometimes you forget to mute the device before restarting and you, for instance, wake up your partner who has work in the morning. There is no reason a setting cannot exist that automatically silences this boot sound regardless of the phone volume.     The app Silent Boot was once a workaround to accomplish this, but it no longer works in the latest Android versions.

This is utterly rediculous…

Being able to Mute the Startup sound, especially given how LOUD it now is utterly stupid.  It’s MASSIVELY LOUD now compared to my previous Galaxy, and it would mute when you muted your phone.

It’s like they’ve done this on purpose just to piss people off.
Like others have said, it won’t mute either even when you’ve fully muted your phone.

I’m using the Galaxy A10e...