Solved

New Samsung S9, Feb. 1 Android security update???

Show first post

61 replies

Badge +1

Sorry to say, but, it appears to be just you so far Bluefire25.  😥

Basic troubleshooting after a security update is to perform a Wipe Cache Partition (least invasive solution) which has an incredibly high success rate of resolving issues. If that doesn't work then a Master Reset (most invasive) will increase your success rate. Some times the update gets corrupted during download and requires an exchange (Very rare - but it has happened).

The typical reason these issues impact people intermittently is existing Apps store file locations or names (cached) to speed up their boot sequence. When those files move, change names, etc. as a result of the update the Cache is looking for something that either moved, or doesn't exist any more. These cache issues don't always prevent the device from booting depending on whether they are critical to device boot. Wiping the Cache Partition / Master Reset will force the device to dump the old data, find the new data, and cache it again.

I'm not saying there's isn't a problem, but, my S9 and S9+ are working, I've checked with several others who have the devices with various third party software who all got the update without issue. In addition, we have a method for issues to be sent up the chain internally. No reported issues at this time. If after those troubleshooting steps you still have an issue please call for further support.

Will those of us with the unlocked US versions get this update too and if so when?

I never got the update because, like you, mine is unlocked. So... I used Odin. It’s the only way and Inteust XDA about as much as I trust T-Mobile and way more than Samsung. Samsung, they’re a hot mess. They have the worst customer service and honestly, other than the nice build and screen on this S9+, the camera is way over hyped (I literally prefer my 4 year old LG to this when it comes to pictures),  the software and support has been atrocious. My last Samsung ever. Maybe now that the main 4 carriers have updated at least once, I think, perhaps in a few weeks to a month there will be an update for the unlocked. Cheers!

Hi, how did you find a download for the SM-G965u1. All I saw was for the cellular network, not specifically US unlocked. Did the update go smoothly using Odin and does everything still work like it should? I do have the S9+. This is my first Samsung Phone and it will be my last...……...

I went to Updato and found the ARBG baseband firmware that would've been the T-Mobile version of what my SM-G965U1 was running. It might have been the release version since Samsung did send out an update with the same baseband and same February patch early on that fixed some bug with the camera i think. Well, anyway, I got Odin from XDA and replaced the SM-G965U1 firmware with the SM-G965U (TMB). It actually changed made the model number a U and not s U1 which I didnt expect. Thinking I had done the trick, I tried OTA to see if anything would come show up... nothing did, I don't know why or if it will ever work. So next I hooked the phone up to Smartswitch and finally I saw the "update available" message show up on my laptop. I let Smartswitch do its thing and I now have ARF4 with the June patch. Yay! Now I will say there was one anomaly that I can't explain. The first attempt with Smartswitch might have failed for some reason, I wasn't paying attention. After I thought it was finished, I looked and the update never happened lol. So, I reconnected the phone and tried a 2nd time and it went through without a hitch. There does appear to be a couple differences between the U and U1 versions but nothing major. I don't know if this means I'll have to use Smartswitchfor every update or not. The way I look at it is that, if possible, and that's a big "if", I'll probably go back to the original FW whenever Samskunk ever gets around to gracing us with their precious and immaculate 1st ever update for the abandoned US unlocked variants. I didn't want to download the FW from Updato but they appear to have a good reputation if XDA recommends them. Sammobile is who I would've used but now you have to make a free account and the downloar will take a day to just download... unless you pay. Um, no thanks lol. Good luck if you try it. I've done worse things on my lifetime. Also, it made me feel a little better about the whole thing considering the update from Smartswitch was gigantic. I wanna say as big as the entire firmware. Can't remember though. If you do it and catch that update size, can you hit me back? Thanks!!!... and hope it helps.

Hi, thanks for the info. Do you get the T-Mobile bloatware when you switched to the U from the U1? Does your Voice Mail still work like before? I read one of the XDA's for the S9+ could break the voicemail and it would change the bootloader version to where you couldn't go back to stock once you go that route.

Well visual voicemail (T-Mobile's app) never worked 100% right for me on this phone. I would get "can't reach server" messages, but I can get messages. Maybe you know what I mean?. Its the same now. Wifi calling works fine, I didn't see any bloatware. I had a few T-Mobile apps that i put on there beforehand (vvmail, tmo account app, digits, tuesday app). I don't know about the bootloader version but I did read the same thing. I won't know unless I either try (which might brick it). I think it has something to do with version 1 gets changed to v2 or something. I wish i could be more help but its a risk. Eventually I intend to sell this thing anyway, so I couldn't care less lol. Most people just text, post pictures on social media, and play with facebook, no concern about software, patches, etc... I can't tell you how many times someone will ask me to show them how to do something on their phone and I always look at the notifications bar and see a pending update. Every time. No joke. If the phone works and its pretty with no scratches, its as good as it is old. I'll see if i can find out the boooader version. You got me curious now.

It looks like it would break Caller ID so you would need to subscribe to their service along with the bootloader issue where you cannot got back to stock.

Finally the update today on my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9+ to version G965U1UES2ARF4. It was 351.18MB in size and the first update since February 2018. Improved security and possible improvements for device stability and new and / or enhanced features  and performance. So far, no issues with testing.

Haven't had an update since January 2019.  My employee policy requires the March 1st update.  How does a new samsung phone less than a year old not get consistent updates?

Userlevel 4

Hey, @danielfrimer​! The S9 should be caught up with the April security release. The employee can verify the software version of their S9 here along with steps to get the latest update.