Solved

New update made Samsung messaging app super slow

• 23 September 2015
  • 13 replies

I downloading the new 5.1.1 update with android pay and now the built in Samsung messaging app is ridiculously slow - especially the native keyboard or any other keyboard i have tried. Help.

icon

Best answer by verag 23 September 2015, 23:05

I think I might have fixed mine! After a day of trying to figure it out I noticed that the app stops working if I try to open a particular message thread from one person. After deleting the entire thread (which in itself took a lot of tries and almost an hour since the app would freeze) and restarting, everything seems to be back to normal so far! Not sure if it will help you but I had the exact same scenario as you, same thing with keyboards, etc. Good luck!

View original

13 replies

I have the same exact issue on Samsung Galaxy S6. After this morning's update I can't use my text messaging app AT ALL. Tried wiping the cache - no difference. All other apps work great! Don't want to do a master reset, anything else I could try? Any way to downgrade to the previous version, before the update??

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Turn off VoLTE. With RCS(still a work in progress) it's slow because what it seems to do is see first if the device you are sending to also support RCS before doing any compressing and such. This causes a delay. If you turn it off it appears ton go faster.

Thanks for the tip... Just tried it, didn't help at all 😥

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

That's what worked for me. Try restarting? Exactly what are you sending and how long is the delay?

Let me try that. It's not a matter of messages sending slowly per se, but a matter of the keyboard taking an unusually long time to open and then sometimes becoming "frozen" or unresponsive. This happens w/ the stock samsung keyboard, the stock lollipop keyboard and 3rd party.

I think I might have fixed mine! After a day of trying to figure it out I noticed that the app stops working if I try to open a particular message thread from one person. After deleting the entire thread (which in itself took a lot of tries and almost an hour since the app would freeze) and restarting, everything seems to be back to normal so far! Not sure if it will help you but I had the exact same scenario as you, same thing with keyboards, etc. Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

That happens anywhere more often in the messaging app. I noticed that as well, but before the recent 2 updates. Happens to me at least 2-3 times a day. I chalked it up to being my clipboard is full of stuff so I clear it. All is well until I do it again. Regardless if you use another keyboard or not it'll always put something is clipped (copy/cut).

BOOOOM. Nailed it. I deleted the convo that caused the keyboard to load the slowest (also happened to be my most populated convo - duh) and the problem was completely ameliorated. Thanks!!! Guess it was just a coincidence that it happened at the same time as the update or something w/ the new firmware exacerbated the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

By any chance do you have auto delete turned on in settings? Mine is why I am wondering why mine happens less often that you guys.

I do not have auto delete turned on in settings... there were probably hundreds of text messages in the offending thread 😏

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

that may be why mine happens less often as it auto deletes.

I just decided to go to Textra as my primary messaging app. Haven't had any issues. Only thing that sucks is can't send MMS via wifi but not a deal breaker for me.

I have been having this same issue ever since the update. I deleted all conversations and bam its working flawlessly...