Nexus 6p Oreo is nowhere to be seen

• 19 October 2017
  • 38 replies

Has anyone gotten the Oreo update for Nexus 6p on T-Mobile?

The only way I can see to get it right now is through the beta program. I tried the beta for a day but my battery drained in about a few hours as much as it drains in 24 hours so I had to back out of it.

If anyone has gotten it OTA without having to join the beta program then please reply back.

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

People have been getting the OTA.  It's not all at once, and it's directly from Google.  T-Mobile has no way to affect how and when people get it.  People were having the same questions about the 5X as well.

If you want you can actually download the update and sideload it, and it will be no different than an OTA update, and actually this way is safer.

If you tried the beta during the beta then it may have problems.  If you did it after 8.0 was released then that's the final version and is not a beta.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I just received the update on both my 5X's last week.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have a 6p and got the update as well. So you should have it by the end of the week.

That is good news. Thank you for confirming!

I had actually tried the beta last week which should have been the final version unless they have already moved on. Hopefully the OTA works better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

murubaba wrote:

I had actually tried the beta last week which should have been the final version unless they have already moved on. Hopefully the OTA works better.

It is final  Google hasn't even done beta for anything after 8.0.  That's the final you had. 

On the Nexus 6P? I checked the Factory Images and OTAs on the Google developers site, and there still isn't one for T-Mobile for the 6P.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

There's is no T-Mobile 6P rom.  T-Mobile never sold the phone.

They didn't make the Android 7 OS either, but that got updated.You need a build compatible with the carrier. Basically, Google and T-Mobile are pointing their fingers at each other. I have talked to both. T-Mobile didn't sell my wife her Pixel, it was carrier exclusive to Verizon or unlocked via Google...but that got updated on T-Mo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

2243043384 wrote:

They didn't make the Android 7 OS either, but that got updated.You need a build compatible with the carrier. Basically, Google and T-Mobile are pointing their fingers at each other. I have talked to both. T-Mobile didn't sell my wife her Pixel, it was carrier exclusive to Verizon or unlocked via Google...but that got updated on T-Mo.

The Nexus 6P is all on Google...  T-Mobile does not sell nor support the 6P.  There is no T-Mobile rom and there never will be. Google support has really gone down hill...

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

download and sideload the August 8.0 update.  As long as it's the OTA files it will not delete user data.

Agreed about Google support. I called them today and said that going 2.5 months without a security update is not good because of so many dangerous exploits uncovered recently like the WiFi bug. They gave me the same story that their developers are working on the different versions of the Nexus 6p, they would not elaborate any further on what that meant.

Seems like they have stopped shipments of the Pixel 2 XL although I don't have a way to confirm it exactly. Mine was supposed to ship today and it is still showing as if it will ship in the future. So with no update on the old and no way to get a new phone its a hard place to be stuck at.

Might give the side load method a try if I don't see any action in the next week or two.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I was supposed to get mine on Monday.  FedEx dropped the ball on Friday and lost the package.  It took the until today to admit they lost it.  Now I have to jump through hoops.  I can say I am honestly not amused.

Problem is, this is the OTA from the developers page:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

2243043384 wrote:

Problem is, this is the OTA from the developers page:

Notice it also say Fi.  There is no difference between Fi Nexus 6P and the regular 6P from the play store.  If you ever go through the source code.  The only difference could be the radio, BUT People has sideloaded that and had no problem with Fi. Also T-Mobile does not have any control over what happens.  I mean if that's the case why would T-Mobile have a say in the 6P, but not the 5X?  Think about it.

I have thought about it. I even called Google. Like I said, both sides are pointing at each other. Just because there isn't a T-Mo compatible version for this phone doesn't say anything about what happened with the 5X.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

There is no fundamental thing that differentiate the two.  The 5X and 6P uses the same radio despite using so if this had to do with T-Mobile the 5X would be in same position especially when they are released at the same time with the exact same features.

There is no T-Mobile version as if there was T-Mobile would be selling it.  Like the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and Nexus 6.  Even though the Nexus 4, and 5 didn't even have a T-Mobile variant rom. 

This is my take.  Google manufacturer Hueawai or however you spell their company name messed up on radio and band 12 was disabled on the "non T-Mobile version) because it caused problems.  Now Google is trying to fix it if it can be fixed and refuses to tell people that espcially with a lot of the problems they've been having with their own products and the problems they been having with both the 5X and 6P.  You can sideload that one and everything will be fine that's what a lot of Fi users have done and moved on.  I would have by now if I had a 6P but Google CS has gone down hill lately.

Thank you for your post!

Looking online, it would seem like everyone already has gotten the OTA update to Oreo. Now I see they are already talking about 8.1 developers version being released in December and  I am still sitting at 7.1.1 w/Aug Security update.  Signing up for the Beta program allows me to download a pre-release version of 8.0 which I am not really interested in.  It would be nice if Google or T-mobile would provide a notice or some form of information regarding this ...

Keeping fingers crossed...

This really reflects poorly on both Tmobile and Google. Hard to understand why the OTA is taking so long. I haven't had a security update in going on 3 months.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

eninca wrote:

This really reflects poorly on both Tmobile and Google. Hard to understand why the OTA is taking so long. I haven't had a security update in going on 3 months.

T-mobile has nothing to do with the update.

That might be true. I'm getting a different story on google discussion threads. But even if Tmobile is completely blameless, the fact is that if I were on virtually any other carrier, I wouldn't be on a security patch nearly 3 months out of date at this point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

eninca wrote:

That might be true. I'm getting a different story on google discussion threads. But even if Tmobile is completely blameless, the fact is that if I were on virtually any other carrier, I wouldn't be on a security patch nearly 3 months out of date at this point.

If that was true...  Pull out your sim and connect to wifi.  If it updates then it could be T-Mobile, but if it doesn't T-Mobile has nothing to do with it. Also there is no difference between the Fi and the Google Play store 6P I want to add. Googles own reps said this on day 1 when it was released out to the public through Fi, and Play Store just like the 5X.  Just food for thought.

That's actually a good idea. I tried it and no go. So it's your belief that Tmobile literally has no role whatsoever in the determination when to push updates? You might be right, but on a Google forum, an admin said:

"It would be interesting to know how many people in this thread are with either project fi or T-Mobile as, apparently, neither provider is sending updates to the 6p currently. This is entirely their own prerogative and when/if they consider their updates are ready they will be pushed out to eligible units."

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Fi = Google

Also why would Google from day 1 say they both were the same. Now they are different? Doesn't make sense at all.