Solved

Note 9 You have already left this chat and it has been closed

• 24 January 2019
  • 26 replies

I just got a new Note9 coming from a Note8. Now many of my group texts appear to have been converted to "Chats" and have been closed. Now it's not letting me send group texts to those same groups of people.  Is there a way to convert these back to group messages or a way to re-open/rejoin chats? I'm receiving group texts that I cannot respond to.

Model: SM-N960U

Baseband: N960USQU1ARL1

icon

Best answer by magenta4058223 21 February 2019, 18:49

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 6

I don't believe you can revert those because beginning on the new Samsung T-Mobile is using RCS Rich communication services for texting and has turned everything into chats similar to iMessage.

You would probably need to restart all of those threads. As this feature cannot be turned off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can turn off the chat options in the Samsung Messages app.  Turning off these options, which are located under the 3 dots, Settings, Chat Settings, will convert your group messages to MMS messages. 

Userlevel 4

Happy Monday, @longe​!

Did either of the suggestions above work for you? If so, let us know in case others run into the same situation as you.

just had this problem yesterday and I was able to fixed it.  I went to the

1 . settings,

2. messages ,

3. storage,

4. then clear data.

It would initially show that your messages are gone but everything would appear again after a few seconds.

Just got my Note9 and it irritated me to no end that l couldn't open or get back to my chats. Worked as stated. THANK YOU!!!

***UPDATE to my previous post***

I found that not all of my closed group chats reverted back after doing the "Clear Data". I had to do it again, to get everything else.

Badge

Although the fix works temporarily, I have to continue to clear data.  Once I respond to the group message, I get the message "you have left this chat and it has been closed"!  This is extremely frustrating!!!!

Badge

This problem is NOT resolved.   I have tried the fix and my group messages continue to resort back to "closed chat."  I should not have to clear my memory storage to respond to a group text.   Please advise what is the permanent fix for this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have active group chats that go back as far as August that are still working perfectly.  Hopefully the update to Pie that came out yesterday fixes whatever the issue is you are having. 

Badge

Thank you, but I just read the release notes for the update and there is no mention of fixes for Chat.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Your device seems to be the only one having issues.  Mine isn't.  I was hoping the update would fix whatever seems to be causing the issue for you because it is a big update and replaces a lot of files. 

Badge

I am not sure if it is just my device but I will certainly contact Support to determine if it is.

So l thought this was fixed. Apparently NOT. Clearing data and the cache, is a very fleeting temporary fix. l am able to respond after clearing, but eventually, the closed chats re-appear. It IS frustrating having to clear data and cache again just to respond.  This needs to be fixed...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It is youe device!  If it was all devices, mine would be having this issue as well, which it isn't.  The friends I have with Note 9's are not experiencing this issue either.

You might want to try a factory reset of your device to see if that clears up the issue for you.  If not, a reflash of the factory image should definitely resolve it. 

Badge

I had the same problem and I was also advised that it was only my device as others were not having this problem.  After exhausting the suggested "fixes," I contacted T-Mobile Support and was advised that Samsung is having problems with its message app.  It was recommended that I download a third party app and I have had NO problems since.   

On Thursday, March 14, 2019, 4:49:44 AM PDT, syaoran <no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote:

|

T-Mobile Support

|

|

Note 9 You have already left this chat and it has been closed

reply from syaoran in Android products - View the full discussion

It is youe device!  If it was all devices, mine would be having this issue as well, which it isn't.  The friends I have with Note 9's are not experiencing this issue either.

You might want to try a factory reset of your device to see if that clears up the issue for you.  If not, a reflash of the factory image should definitely resolve it. 

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on T-Mobile Support

Start a new discussion in Android products by email or at T-Mobile Support

Following Note 9 You have already left this chat and it has been closed in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If it works for those experiencing the issue, that is a decent work around.  However, it also sounds like that agent was just too lazy to actually try to identify and troubkeshoot the issue.  I use Samsung's Message app though and so does everyone else I know with a Note 9 and S9 Plus and none of them are experiencing the issue descrubed in this thread. 

Has this issue been resolved for you cause I'm having the same issue after I transferred old text from my note 8. My mom sis and I have group text that we've used for years. I dont not want to be able to chat with them in group.

Same here.... I even got a replacement Note 9 and still the same issue... the clear cache thing only works temporarily....

Definitely not the only one having this problem. Someone else on the thread is complaining of it and I am too.

me too! the One UI thing is nice but a lot of stuff change that didnt need to be... they shouldve left the messages alone except the look

I have a note 9 and am having the same issue and it started after I downloaded pie. Messages was working fine before that. Also after downloading pie I sometimes don't get group messages at all. My wife has the 9 and after the pie update, she can't even send a pic to me. Samsung is aware of this issue and is working on a fix. They said to take it to a ubreakifix store and do a system reflash for free and that should work. It did not. Made my phone worse. It deleted my fingerprint and it wouldn't let me add a new print cause the censor wasn't working. That with a few more minor things and I said forget it and did a factory reset. The reset did not fix the messaging part but everything else is fine. If you want to reply to the thread that is inactive, start a new chat and add the same contacts and your message history will appear. But once you leave, it will close again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If it was a software issue.  All devices with the T-Mobile firmware would suffer from it, mine included, which it doesn't!  I have Chat Settings off though because I don't see the need for people to know when I am typing or when I view their message.  I send a couple of dozen picture messages a day and hundreds of texts without any issues.

I too have this same issue after the Android Pie update. I can text single parties just fine, however, when they're in a group chat it won't let me message them, I get a failed message. I regrettably closed the chat, and now am unable to find another way to reactivate it. My family have the same model phone but do not have the same problems. I tried the following steps:

- cleared partition cache through Samsung recovery settings

- tried clearing app cache and app data of the messaging app

- toggled the mms and chat options (ALL of them just to see)

- changed DNS from private to automatic

- tried all of the networks individually (2g,3g,lte etc)

Everything but factory resetting my phone. Every other part of phones functions properly after update, this is the only issues I've experienced. Would LOVE to hear if someone find a permanent solution.

Definitely not the only one having this issue. Just recently got the note 9, and all of my group texts are all like this. Clearing the cache is only a temp fix, also I lost one stream of individual texts that was important doing this. Switching all the chat settings has worked on most of the group texts but there are still a few that show "inactive". But don't know how long that is going to last.

Has anyone gotten a resolve for this that is permanent?

I FIXED IT! Go to the upper right hand corner of the chat thread. You'll see three dots, tap on that. Turn off "Send read confirmation" by tapping on it. It will change to "Don't sent read confirmation". That fixes the problem. You're welcome and good night.