Question

One Plus 8 android 11 update ETA?

• 1 October 2020
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Does anyone have any information on when T-Mobile will release the android 11 update? 

32 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Does anyone have any information on when T-Mobile will release the android 11 update? 

Android 11 has been in testing with the OnePlus 8 5G for a little while now.  There is no ETA for it to be release, but I wouldn't expect it until after the launch of the OnePlus 8T event on October 14th.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Syaoran Thank you for your feedback I kind of thought along those lines being when they release that one plus 8t it's supposed to be preloaded with Android 11. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out by then. 

Wish I got the unlocked version right from OnePlus now 🙄

Wish I got the unlocked version right from OnePlus now 🙄

I fully agree with you. 

I am feeling the same frustration.  When A10 came out for the OP 7 Pro TMobile ran a FUT program to test the software before they distributed it.   I have not heard of any such program for A11.  I am hoping they will be doing the same thing for this device.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

T-Mobile doesn’t operate any FUT programs that I am aware of.  FUT is specifically a OnePlus program for OnePlus devices.  There are different FUT programs for carrier models verses non-carrier models, but both are operated by OnePlus to gather feedback from users willing to test beta and alpha firmware updates.  

There is a drawback to buying directly from OnePlus, but this might or might not affect some.  If you happen to need roaming on to the US Cellular Networks for coverage, you won’t be able to without using a device sold by T-Mobile.  However, converting your OnePlus device to the non-carrier firmware still allows you to roam on to the US Cellular Network because T-Mobile provides US Cellular IMEI’s for their devices to whitelist on their network.  When I tried calling US Cellular to have a device whitelisted that wasn’t sold to me by T-Mobile, they literally refused, regardless of who I talked to.   

Thanks for the info Syaoran. My frustration with the situation peaked this morning. I tried the direct download on available online, but t mobile had blocked everytbing past the file download. I then put my Google fi sim in the phone and activated the account. Got all the way to the actual replacing OS 10 with 11 and my phone locked up! Had to do a hard reset. Guess I’m going to have to wait. Has anyone found out what’s actually happening with the update? I’ve see that it will be a samsung clone. The last thing I want is a samsung phone.

Badge

It's unacceptable. The OnePlus brand was founded on Vanilla builds without carrier interference. This update has been out for 3 days now, and T-Mobile still has it listed as "In Development". The only thing they need to do is carry over the modem settings. There is 0 reason why it is taking this long. Only American carriers do this madness.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

When updates are released, they usually are limited rollouts as well to prevent any major bugs that slipped through from becoming wide spread.  There are a couple of minor issues with the OOS11 build for the non-carrier version of the device.  These aren’t device breaking but for some, are at the very least, annoying.  When the T-Mobile release goes out, there is no guarantee your device will even receive the update in the initial rollout.  

It's unacceptable. The OnePlus brand was founded on Vanilla builds without carrier interference. This update has been out for 3 days now, and T-Mobile still has it listed as "In Development". The only thing they need to do is carry over the modem settings. There is 0 reason why it is taking this long. Only American carriers do this madness.

You are correct. T-MOBILE needs to stay out of the software business and let manufactures handle things correctly.  At this point I want this phone unlocked so I can flash the update..

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

You are correct. T-MOBILE needs to stay out of the software business and let manufactures handle things correctly.  At this point I want this phone unlocked so I can flash the update..

T-Mobile doesn't do much of anything for the updates.  The bulk of it is compiled, tested, and released by OnePlus.  

Badge

When updates are released, they usually are limited rollouts as well to prevent any major bugs that slipped through from becoming wide spread.  There are a couple of minor issues with the OOS11 build for the non-carrier version of the device.  These aren’t device breaking but for some, are at the very least, annoying.  When the T-Mobile release goes out, there is no guarantee your device will even receive the update in the initial rollout.  

Device updates are not T-Mobiles liability. They will tell you that QUICKLY on the phone. You will be referred to manufacture. As such in this case, the manufacturer has already tested and approved the update for STABLE release. Arbitrarily withholding feature updates is only intended to get us to purchase/upgrade to the 8T, as it launches. It comes with A11, wouldn't want to ruin really the only thing different between the 2.

Userlevel 1

Device updates are not T-Mobiles liability. They will tell you that QUICKLY on the phone. You will be referred to manufacture. As such in this case, the manufacturer has already tested and approved the update for STABLE release. Arbitrarily withholding feature updates is only intended to get us to purchase/upgrade to the 8T, as it launches. It comes with A11, wouldn't want to ruin really the only thing different between the 2.

Not so sure that tmobile doesn't dig their grubby fingers into these updates somehow. The shelf feature has been missing from T-Mobile OnePlus 8 devices since the feature rolled out. No clue what else is missing but I definitely know that that is. On XDA this has been mentioned by several people, and even trying to manually downloading version 5.0 of the launcher shows no shelf option, so they're definitely messing around where they shouldn't be. Their customer service is clueless and only offered me some warranty exchange crap, no, I bought the phone I wanted, in full in cash, now get your hands off of it. 

I'm with the other people in this forum who wish they had bought the unlocked version. I can say with 100% certainty that I will never ever ever ever buy a phone directly from T-Mobile again. Their Associates at the store flat-out lied and said that this device would have zero differences from the one directly sold through OnePlus. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the info Syaoran. My frustration with the situation peaked this morning. I tried the direct download on available online, but t mobile had blocked everytbing past the file download. I then put my Google fi sim in the phone and activated the account. Got all the way to the actual replacing OS 10 with 11 and my phone locked up! Had to do a hard reset. Guess I’m going to have to wait. Has anyone found out what’s actually happening with the update? I’ve see that it will be a samsung clone. The last thing I want is a samsung phone.

Glad I saw your post, I was considering rooting the device to be able to flash the global version of A11 but I'm pretty sure it's gonna lock up on my too if I try. Never again buying a phone directly through a provider. Can't trust them not to dig their dirty fingers into things and screw with the process of getting updates and putting their own branded bloatware on an $800 phone. Nobody buying a phone at that price point needs or wants your t-mobile apps, so stop including them and any other changes you think are good to make t-mo! 

I don't think T-Mobile is scared of losing customers because of this. T-Mobile is starting to add bullshit bloatware on phones, I'm sad I even bought a phone from them. I usually get mine directly from manufacturers. How many of you guys would leave T-Mobile if they don't hurry up with this update?

Not so sure that tmobile doesn't dig their grubby fingers into these updates somehow. The shelf feature has been missing from T-Mobile OnePlus 8 devices since the feature rolled out. No clue what else is missing but I definitely know that that is. On XDA this has been mentioned by several people, and even trying to manually downloading version 5.0 of the launcher shows no shelf option, so they're definitely messing around where they shouldn't be. Their customer service is clueless and only offered me some warranty exchange crap, no, I bought the phone I wanted, in full in cash, now get your hands off of it. 

I'm with the other people in this forum who wish they had bought the unlocked version. I can say with 100% certainty that I will never ever ever ever buy a phone directly from T-Mobile again. Their Associates at the store flat-out lied and said that this device would have zero differences from the one directly sold through OnePlus. 

If you bought the phone in full in cash, I would suggest you call T-Mobile to unlock my device. It's not theirs anymore. Otherwise, you call consumer protection agency on them. 

Userlevel 1

If you bought the phone in full in cash, I would suggest you call T-Mobile to unlock my device. It's not theirs anymore. Otherwise, you call consumer protection agency on them. 

That's the problem. Even if I unlock the device I don't think it's going to help. Mainly because I tried downloading the OnePlus launcher from apkmirror, got a 5.0 version of it targeting Android 10, still no shelf feature. I'm thinking there's something baked into this device that is screwing with things. Afraid that unlocking it will still leave it as a T-mobile device somehow unless I can root it and get all of the TMobile crap off.

Yeah, I hate it when the carrier adds shit into the device. 

That's the problem. Even if I unlock the device I don't think it's going to help. Mainly because I tried downloading the OnePlus launcher from apkmirror, got a 5.0 version of it targeting Android 10, still no shelf feature. I'm thinking there's something baked into this device that is screwing with things. Afraid that unlocking it will still leave it as a T-mobile device somehow unless I can root it and get all of the TMobile crap off.

If I wanted to pay $200 more just for the T in the name, I'd go to AT&T and pay $100s more for the service. Verizon has also come down in prices and is very comparable to T-Mobile with yet a bit better coverage. Their OnePlus 8, a phone my friend has with them, already received the new update to A11. I get that the roll out phase is slow but they haven't even started rolling it out. Status page says development, which is probably baking in all the additional bloatware. I don't want my f'ing Google news to have a T-Mobile TV tab. I had to turn off google news just for that disgusting stuff

I bought the TMobile version because it was on discount. Am I antsy to get the update?  Heck yes but I knew updates on the T-Mobile version would be slower going into this. I'm definitely looking forward to the update especially the AOD. That's one of the major things that has kept my from using this phone as a daily driver. 

T-Mobile doesn't do much of anything for the updates.  The bulk of it is compiled, tested, and released by OnePlus.  

You are wrong. TMobile does have a team of Devs who do roll their own compiled version. How do you think those Tmobile system apps get on there? TMobile puts them there. Oneplus doesn't do it for them. Also their are slight changed in the modem images that have to be tweaked and compiled on TMobiles end. 

If I wanted to pay $200 more just for the T in the name, I'd go to AT&T and pay $100s more for the service. Verizon has also come down in prices and is very comparable to T-Mobile with yet a bit better coverage. Their OnePlus 8, a phone my friend has with them, already received the new update to A11. I get that the roll out phase is slow but they haven't even started rolling it out. Status page says development, which is probably baking in all the additional bloatware. I don't want my f'ing Google news to have a T-Mobile TV tab. I had to turn off google news just for that disgusting stuff

You are absolutely correct. Aside from a few changes & tweaks to the modem image TMobile doesn't add anything of value to the OS and we are literally waiting for TMobile to place their crap ass apps in /system and rebuild it. This can be done by a small child. I'm not exaggerating. It's pretty pathetic. 

And you can convert your device to the international version if you've paid it off.yoy just need to get your unlock code from T-Mobile, send it to Oneplus and wait 7 days for them to send you back your unlock token. Once you are able to unlock your bootloader you can flash the international firmware and BAM updates direct from OP.

Badge

Absolutely disappointed to see an update ready this morning, for it to only be security updates. What a terrible way to start the week.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Absolutely disappointed to see an update ready this morning, for it to only be security updates. What a terrible way to start the week.

right? how exactly is life worth living without 11 on your phone...

Badge

It's perfectly fine living. Your tiny mind doesn't understand that when you pay for something, a company shouldn't be removing access to marked features. How much is Tmobile paying you? Or do you do it for free?