Solved

One Plus 8 android 11 update ETA?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

139 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

oh my pearls of wisdom are free of charge for you ;)

aside from having the OEM add in carrier branding stuff the only other thing carriers do is test to make sure it isnt going to screw anything else up.. it fails and they fire it back to the OEM to fix what they found..

dont want to wait for the updates? stop purchasing carrier branded devices..that simple.

im not the one that had their world pretty much end because they didnt get a life altering device update yet lol

Userlevel 2
Badge

aside from having the OEM add in carrier branding stuff the only other thing carriers do is test to make sure it isnt going to screw anything else up.. it fails and they fire it back to the OEM to fix what they found..

dont want to wait for the updates? stop purchasing carrier branded devices..that simple.

im not the one that had their world pretty much end because they didnt get a life altering device update yet lol

But that's just it, this isn't a carrier branded device. You're quickly proving yourself to be extremely ignorant. OnePlus devices are not carrier branded. Never have and never will be. 

Are you here just to shitpost?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Also, the manufacturer has already finished the update and moved it to stable? Do you not pay attention to anything? Oneplus makes the phone and it's their responsibility. Answer me this, why do the Unlocked devices that are bought outright working fine on the network?

Has anyone been able to confirm the Android 11 update fixes the Chrome scrolling issue? - My biggest gripe with my OP8.  I purchased mine off of Amazon (open box) with a 90 day return, and hoping the update hits, allowing me to check that, and the hiccups when switching from WiFi back to Cellular issue, which occurs occasionally.  (Where you need to toggle into airplane and back to restart network services in order to make/receive calls/texts).

Really hoping those two issues are fixed in 11, as I don’t relish returning, and buying a Samsung device, as I love Oxygen OS.  (The Mute/Vibrate is so convenient too, and I don’t understand why other phones don’t implement one).

Userlevel 2
Badge

Has anyone been able to confirm the Android 11 update fixes the Chrome scrolling issue? - My biggest gripe with my OP8.  I purchased mine off of Amazon (open box) with a 90 day return, and hoping the update hits, allowing me to check that, and the hiccups when switching from WiFi back to Cellular issue, which occurs occasionally.  (Where you need to toggle into airplane and back to restart network services in order to make/receive calls/texts).

Really hoping those two issues are fixed in 11, as I don’t relish returning, and buying a Samsung device, as I love Oxygen OS.  (The Mute/Vibrate is so convenient too, and I don’t understand why other phones don’t implement one).

I'm hoping as well that it fixes the scroll issue. I have to pull the notification bar down to get it to work properly agian. I've also had it lock up watching videos via the Google News app. It spasms out and hurts to catch up, which makes for some odd audio and visual glitches.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

It's unacceptable. The OnePlus brand was founded on Vanilla builds without carrier interference. This update has been out for 3 days now, and T-Mobile still has it listed as "In Development". The only thing they need to do is carry over the modem settings. There is 0 reason why it is taking this long. Only American carriers do this madness.

You are correct. T-MOBILE needs to stay out of the software business and let manufactures handle things correctly.  At this point I want this phone unlocked so I can flash the update..

T-Mobile doesn't do much of anything for the updates.  The bulk of it is compiled, tested, and released by OnePlus.  

You are wrong. TMobile does have a team of Devs who do roll their own compiled version. How do you think those Tmobile system apps get on there? TMobile puts them there. Oneplus doesn't do it for them. Also their are slight changed in the modem images that have to be tweaked and compiled on TMobiles end. 

They submit them to OnePlus.  As a FUT member (a closed beta tester) for multiple OnePlus devices, both from T-Mobile and directly from OnePlus.  Keep dreaming if you want to think carriers actually employ a development team for anything.  Even their carrier apps are contracted out to third parties, because that is a lot cheaper.  The OEM is responsible for the device software, including those updates for carrier devices.  

For the rest of you.  You could always buy a OnePlus 8T+ 5G or OnePlus 8T, if you are too impatient to wait for the update.  If you are lucky, maybe that update will roll out sometime around December.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

It's unacceptable. The OnePlus brand was founded on Vanilla builds without carrier interference. This update has been out for 3 days now, and T-Mobile still has it listed as "In Development". The only thing they need to do is carry over the modem settings. There is 0 reason why it is taking this long. Only American carriers do this madness.

You are correct. T-MOBILE needs to stay out of the software business and let manufactures handle things correctly.  At this point I want this phone unlocked so I can flash the update..

T-Mobile doesn't do much of anything for the updates.  The bulk of it is compiled, tested, and released by OnePlus.  

You are wrong. TMobile does have a team of Devs who do roll their own compiled version. How do you think those Tmobile system apps get on there? TMobile puts them there. Oneplus doesn't do it for them. Also their are slight changed in the modem images that have to be tweaked and compiled on TMobiles end. 

They submit them to OnePlus.  As a FUT member (a closed beta tester) for multiple OnePlus devices, both from T-Mobile and directly from OnePlus.  Keep dreaming if you want to think carriers actually employ a development team for anything.  Even their carrier apps are contracted out to third parties, because that is a lot cheaper.  The OEM is responsible for the device software, including those updates for carrier devices.  

For the rest of you.  You could always buy a OnePlus 8T+ 5G or OnePlus 8T, if you are too impatient to wait for the update.  If you are lucky, maybe that update will roll out sometime around December.  

It's infuriating because that's exactly what they want you to do, buy/upgrade to the new one and spend another 800 dollars or so. They're artificially holding it back. If you buy a OP8 via any other means, you're not stuck with this issue. The manufacturer has already finished, stamped, approved, green lit, thumbs up, high fived the update. 

Userlevel 1

I’m just over here hoping I’ll actually get my calls and texts (yes, I have great coverage and wifi calling enabled).  This phone (familiy has FOUR of them, all do this) FAILS at being a phone.  T-Mobile’s response is to factory reset, which helps for about 12 hours…  sometimes. 

It is TOTAL horsecrap that I can’t disable t-mobiles tracking software and that tencent is running a silent service on my oneplus 8 5g that I’m not allowed to stop (along with facebook, don’t get me started)..

I guess I’m just most pissed off that 2  months after I plunked down for these POS phones the pixel 5 comes out.

I’m just over here hoping I’ll actually get my calls and texts (yes, I have great coverage and wifi calling enabled).  This phone (familiy has FOUR of them, all do this) FAILS at being a phone.  T-Mobile’s response is to factory reset, which helps for about 12 hours…  sometimes. 

It is TOTAL horsecrap that I can’t disable t-mobiles tracking software and that tencent is running a silent service on my oneplus 8 5g that I’m not allowed to stop (along with facebook, don’t get me started)..

I guess I’m just most pissed off that 2  months after I plunked down for these POS phones the pixel 5 comes out.

Consider cutting your losses, selling the phones, and getting a different phone. Two things to keep in mind, 1) Google phones always get hated on, BUT they hold well over years. For example, the Pixel 2 XL is still a great phone. 2) iPhone is the king as software updates and stability to the point that it’s boring.

Sometimes we have to accept that the phone just isn’t for us… For example, my T-Mobile OP8 gave me the option to uninstall Facebook (and not just disable) and there’s no Tencent running on my device.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Over 3 weeks and still no update to Android 11. I'm a tmo fanboy, but this is ridiculous. 

It's to be expected with carrier locked phones to be a tad late on the software updates. I wouldn't feel too bad.. if you've ventured into the OnePlus community app, there's a bunch of negative feedback with the latest OTA that it is good we're gonna probably get a more refined version.

You guys do realize that not even OnePlus has released a stable version of Android 11 for the OP8, right? And not even a developer preview or beta for the 7/7T?

The blame is OnePlus's -- making too many new models, not supporting the "older" ones anywhere where near as fast as they used to because they expect you to buy a new phone every 6 months, and are now slower than even Samsung at releasing monthly security updates.  Last year, they made the Android 10 dev preview and open beta available for the 6/6T and 7/Pro/7T/Pro. And the final version available for all by October. And were releasing security updates in less than a week after Google. OnePlus has moved on to only caring about their very latest phone, and even then, slower than Samsung at releasing security patches.

Lastly, if you wanted to run OnePlus's developer preview or beta builds, you shouldn't have bought a carrier phone...  Do you really expect T-Mobile to push non-final builds to it's customers? 

You guys do realize that not even OnePlus has released a stable version of Android 11 for the OP8, right? And not even a developer preview or beta for the 7/7T?

The blame is OnePlus's -- making too many new models, not supporting the "older" ones anywhere where near as fast as they used to because they expect you to buy a new phone every 6 months, and are now slower than even Samsung at releasing monthly security updates.

If you wanted to run OnePlus's developer preview or beta builds, you shouldn't have bought a carrier phone...  Do you really expect T-Mobile to push non-final builds to it's customers? 

They do have a stable release of OOS 11, but it's strictly for the unlocked variants currently. I assume at this point T-Mobile has their hands on it making the necessary tweaks and will push the update sometime before the end of the year.

The blame is OnePlus's -- making too many new models, not supporting the "older" ones anywhere where near as fast as they used to because they expect you to buy a new phone every 6 months, and are now slower than even Samsung at releasing monthly security updates.

If you wanted to run OnePlus's developer preview or beta builds, you shouldn't have bought a carrier phone...  Do you really expect T-Mobile to push non-final builds to it's customers? 

They do have a stable release of OOS 11, but it's strictly for the unlocked variants currently. I assume at this point T-Mobile has their hands on it making the necessary tweaks and will push the update sometime before the end of the year.

There is no stable release of OOS 11 except on their newest OP8T...Not for OP8. 

There's an entire thread on their community app dedicated to OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro and OOS 11, respectively. People have already been receiving the update for like a month now.

There's an entire thread on their community app dedicated to OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro and OOS 11, respectively. People have already been receiving the update for like a month now.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oxygenos-11-for-the-oneplus-8-pro-and-oneplus-8.1312654/

Um, no. You are wrong.  There is an open beta release of OOS 11 for the 8/8 Pro. That is what the OnePlus community discussions are about. If one was running an open beta release of OOS 10, they were upgraded to the open beta release of OOS 11. Earlier than that, there was a dev preview release available. 

There is no stable release of OOS 11 except on their newest OP8T...Not for OP8/Pro

OnePlus has said they will release stable OOS 11 for non-carrier branded 7/Pro/T/Pro and 8/Pro in December. So how can T-Mobile be expected to release something that OnePlus hasn't even released for it's non-carrier phones?  They aren't going to waste their time testing a beta release nor should they be expected to.

The blame is fully on OnePlus. In the past year they have gone from being the first after Google to release updates to being almost the last…

In addition, the latest official version from OnePlus for the 7/Pro/T/Pro was released Oct 23rd...with the September security update.

T-Mobile's 7T Pro 5G McLaren Edition got the October security update on Oct 28th. So T-Mobile is actually ahead of OnePlus. 

If one wants the October security update on the non-carrier 7/Pro/T/Pro, they would be forced to use the open beta version of OOS 10... which was released yesterday, Oct 30th. 

So T-Mobile's (stable) build with October's security patches was released two days ahead of OnePlus's beta build with October's security patches...

https://www.rprna.com/updates/oxygenos/t-mobile-oneplus-7t-pro-5g-mclaren-october-patch/

https://9to5google.com/2020/10/30/oxygenos-open-beta-9-rolls-out-for-oneplus-7t-pro-w-october-2020-patch/

Just how low OnePlus has sunk:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/10/06/android-phone-security-update-tracker/

Searching information about the same matter and finally dropped here, I bought this OP8 a few days ago in the US but I'm currently in a different country, I had a doubt that's being bothering me, am I going to still receiving updates for T-mobile variant even though I'm not in the US? Have to mention the model of my phone is IN2017

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Searching information about the same matter and finally dropped here, I bought this OP8 a few days ago in the US but I'm currently in a different country, I had a doubt that's being bothering me, am I going to still receiving updates for T-mobile variant even though I'm not in the US? Have to mention the model of my phone is IN2017

depends. do you have someone elses sim card in the phone?

Stop spreading misinformation. OOS11 has been in full deployment for the OP8 and 8 Pro for almost a month now.  The latest open beta is beta 3, which was released solely to target additional bugs from stable.

https://www.xda-developers.com/download-oneplus-8-oneplus-8-pro-receive-stable-android-11-oxygenos-11-update/

Userlevel 3
Badge

Here we are in the middle of November with no update and still on the September security patch. This is a major fail on T-Mobiles end.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Here we are in the middle of November with no update and still on the September security patch. This is a major fail on T-Mobiles end.

Big time major fail at both ends, more so with T-Mobile for sure. Heck, my 6T is running the October security patch.

Big time major fail at both ends, more so with T-Mobile for sure. Heck, my 6T is running the October security patch.

I converted my tmobile oneplus 8 to the nonbranded version to get Android 11, and it's a lot less stable than the latest tmobile android 10 branded version. Apps keep saying that theyre using too much battery that weren't before and the launcher keeps crashing about every 3rd day. This didn't happen before. I'm talking apps my amex, chase, and reddit.

Waiting is good in this instance.