Solved

One Plus 8 android 11 update ETA?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

139 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wow.

Absolutely pathetic. Were talking about a phone from 6 months ago being refused updates, while one from 2 years prior is enjoying atleast the latest security updates. It's almost February now.

Compared to 5 pages of complaining?  Maybe the 8’s didn’t sell well enough for T-Mobile to consider it a priority to throw their bloat at and ask OnePlus to get the update out as soon as possible.  With some mentioning issues.  Maybe that is contributing to the update taking longer.  I have an 8 that I haven’t had any issues with, thankfully. 

I have also purchased an 8T though.  With the 8 and 8T, T-Mobile seems to have strayed away from a lot of the more common things on the Global firmware.  Whether or not this is good or bad, is a matter of opinion.  With the 8T, I prefer the OnePlus dialer and texting app over the Google Dialer and Android Messages app in the global.  Features also differ between each device firmware now as well, with features on the 8 Global not being on the 8 from T-Mobile and the same goes for the 8T.  

Ultimately, it will be ready when it is ready.  Complaining on a forum with very little T-Mobile presence isn’t going to be heard by anyone who cares one way or another in T-Mobile or OnePlus.  

You're literally the only one. 

You live in the forums, so nobody here cares of your opinions. Everyone else is very upset. Saying "I will be ready when it's ready" is not an acceptable answer. OnePlus has already released the update and I've already spoken to someone at TMobile via a FCC complaint. 

You may be dumb enough to just throw more money at more devices, but some of us actually understand what it takes to push the update.

Riddle me this, why can AOSP, CyanogenMod and other crank out updates in days, from people who work off donations, in mere weeks, not months? TMobile is a major carrier, with a vast amount of resources. The issue is Tmobile takes it upon themselves to handle updates, so they're responsible for them as well. Getting updates out in a timely fashion for devices they sell in a requirement of they want to handle the updates. They're not adding anything other than just abandoning the phone, and if you happened to buy one, your out of luck. They won't take a return, they won't update the phone, and they won't reply here. I'm going to make this my personal blog until someone says something as I'm sure everyone, but you, feels the same way.

5 dollars have been deposited into your account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Wow.

Absolutely pathetic. Were talking about a phone from 6 months ago being refused updates, while one from 2 years prior is enjoying atleast the latest security updates. It's almost February now.

Compared to 5 pages of complaining?  Maybe the 8’s didn’t sell well enough for T-Mobile to consider it a priority to throw their bloat at and ask OnePlus to get the update out as soon as possible.  With some mentioning issues.  Maybe that is contributing to the update taking longer.  I have an 8 that I haven’t had any issues with, thankfully. 

I have also purchased an 8T though.  With the 8 and 8T, T-Mobile seems to have strayed away from a lot of the more common things on the Global firmware.  Whether or not this is good or bad, is a matter of opinion.  With the 8T, I prefer the OnePlus dialer and texting app over the Google Dialer and Android Messages app in the global.  Features also differ between each device firmware now as well, with features on the 8 Global not being on the 8 from T-Mobile and the same goes for the 8T.  

Ultimately, it will be ready when it is ready.  Complaining on a forum with very little T-Mobile presence isn’t going to be heard by anyone who cares one way or another in T-Mobile or OnePlus.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wow.

Userlevel 2
Badge

One of the reasons I finally returned my OP8, just before the 60 day return period closed with Amazon.  Without the update, I couldn’t ensure the problems present with Chrome, transition between WiFi to Cell, and a few other gremlins in 10.x were truly fixed.

Ended up buying a factory unlocked S20 FE in its place, which was also on sale.  You know what, the S20 FE already updated to One UI3 (Android 11), and I’ve actually received TWO(2) updates since, now running on Android 11 with the January security patch. - And the camera is head and shoulders better, with better battery life than the OP8.  (My OP8 did have a bit faster cellular data, with a bit cleaner UI, but hey, the S20 FE is super stable, and is getting updates).

So what your saying is Tmobile is damaging OnePlus's name? That's how I'm feeling about it. I can't believe OnePlus has let this go on for as long as it has.

I've been waiting for an update ever since I installed Software Version - 10.5.23.IN55CB for the OnePlus 8 5G

My phone is unusable as a phone as I can't receive calls or texts intermittently when connected to Wi-Fi. The only temporary fixes I've found is to turn airplane mode on/off, reboot, or turn off Wi-Fi indefinitely. Otherwise when someone calls, and I am connected to Wi-Fi, their calls might go straight to voicemail. My phone won't log that someone attempted to call me, unless a voicemail is left. Even when Wi-Fi calling is turned on/off and I have excellent cell / Wi-Fi signal. I also will have to turn Wi-Fi off, intermittently, when I do receive a call so that I can hear the other person. They can hear me, I just can't hear anything until I get off Wi-Fi calling. 

There have been multiple accounts of this issue, specific to only T-Mobile owned OnePlus 8 5G devices. One thread on One Plus's website being particularly helpful.

I've reset my network settings. Had T-Mobile update my Sim Card settings. Rebooted my phone numerous times. Tried on multiple Wi-Fi networks. Tried in multiple locations around my city with 5G signal and being connected to Wi-Fi. Turned 5G off and used 4G instead. Tried to see if it was specific to the numbers that called me but the issue still reoccurs. 

I've called T-Mobile support 3 separate times and the results and conclusion of those 3 separate calls were as follows.

1. Let's see if the troubleshooting steps we took fix the issue.

2. Let's see if the troubleshooting steps we took fix the issue. We had an expert change "some settings" that might help. If that doesn't work. Warranty your phone for an exact replacement which may have the same issue. Wait for the next update, that has no release date, which may fix that issue. 

3. Purchase a new phone. Warranty your phone for an exact replacement which may have the same issue. Wait for the next update, that has no release date, which may fix that issue.

In conclusion, like many others have said in regret. Don't purchase phones from phone carrier's no matter how much money you think you're saving. Manufacturing companies and unlocked phones from indirect sources also have deals on phones. T-mobile needs to address phone software version updates as a way to provid updated security to their users and supply a stable phone platform for everyday use.

One of the reasons I finally returned my OP8, just before the 60 day return period closed with Amazon.  Without the update, I couldn’t ensure the problems present with Chrome, transition between WiFi to Cell, and a few other gremlins in 10.x were truly fixed.

Ended up buying a factory unlocked S20 FE in its place, which was also on sale.  You know what, the S20 FE already updated to One UI3 (Android 11), and I’ve actually received TWO(2) updates since, now running on Android 11 with the January security patch. - And the camera is head and shoulders better, with better battery life than the OP8.  (My OP8 did have a bit faster cellular data, with a bit cleaner UI, but hey, the S20 FE is super stable, and is getting updates).

T-Mobile has really dropped the ball on this.  It’s quite embarrassing for them that it has taken so obnoxiously long and yet we still don’t even have an ETA.

Honestly this might be the thing that pushes me to an iPhone.  I am so glad that Apple has essentially locked carriers out of interfering with their update process.  It’s sad that no Android OEM has the courage to do the same.

The OP8 is a distant 3rd now in my inventory of TMobile phones. Pixel and iPhone are 1 and 2 for obvious reasons regarding getting updates. 

T-Mobile has really dropped the ball on this.  It’s quite embarrassing for them that it has taken so obnoxiously long and yet we still don’t even have an ETA.

Honestly this might be the thing that pushes me to an iPhone.  I am so glad that Apple has essentially locked carriers out of interfering with their update process.  It’s sad that no Android OEM has the courage to do the same.

Userlevel 3
Badge

😑

Userlevel 2
Badge

Literary a joke at this point. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

This is pathetic. I can't believe how long we have to wait for this update. 

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2
Badge

*Shakes head*

*Shakes head even harder*

Were on almost 3 month old security update at this point. Atleast the new update will bring us withing a months time, but by time Tmobile let's the update go, it will he outdated agian anyways.

Userlevel 3
Badge

*Shakes head*

Userlevel 3
Badge

I will be filing my complaint today. I will be including a link to this thread. I want to make sure the FCC sees the level of incompetence being displayed by T-Mobile. The idea of going to the FCC has been shared on the T-Mobile subreddit. Seems they have several frustrated folks over there. 

I just wish they would allow the OnePlus operating system to be managed by oneplus. Or at least offer the OnePlus users or the OnePlus 8 users the ability to get a free OnePlus 8T upgrade so they can get the benefits of Android 11. everybody uses their phones for everything from finance to family to messaging these days they're used for absolutely everything and we can't benefit from the security that Android 11 offers.

I'm waiting on a response from T-Mobile to my message if they're watching this then they haven't message me they haven't said anything to me. And I'd gladly accept an 8T or 8 pro with Android 11.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I submitted a complaint to the FCC, someone from T-Mobile called me back. She didn't have an answer, wanted to pretend this thread didn't exist, and I was whining. Once I told her "Imagine buying a new iPhone, and within 4 months, you're nolonger getting updates. Do you think you could sell that iPhone for a fair price?" She didn't have a answer and just repeated OnePlus Hasn't updated the phone. I told her people who worked on CyanogenMod was able to work these updates out WAY faster, and that wasnt even their day jobs, they did it for donations.

I received the obvious corporate response, so I would recommend sending complaints in. This is the #1 replied to thread at this point, we need to make some noise, or T-Mobile just took us all for 800 dollars.

Someone from the T-Mobile side is watching this thread, you can guarantee it. 

Really it's shocking that either they are withholding the truth or they have a really terrible lack of communication between departments.

At this point I'm with you that going to the FCC maybe the only way to get resolution to the issue, but those who make the next filings need to include Oneplus also. Pressure on both sides will force out the truth.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I submitted a complaint to the FCC, someone from T-Mobile called me back. She didn't have an answer, wanted to pretend this thread didn't exist, and I was whining. Once I told her "Imagine buying a new iPhone, and within 4 months, you're nolonger getting updates. Do you think you could sell that iPhone for a fair price?" She didn't have a answer and just repeated OnePlus Hasn't updated the phone. I told her people who worked on CyanogenMod was able to work these updates out WAY faster, and that wasnt even their day jobs, they did it for donations.

I received the obvious corporate response, so I would recommend sending complaints in. This is the #1 replied to thread at this point, we need to make some noise, or T-Mobile just took us all for 800 dollars.

This is sickening really. Have been tmo family line customer for 20+ years. Asked for courtesy 8T upgrade due to stagnant process on upgrade to 11. Told no.

If can't hear something soon have found matched rate for my 5+ lines with competition, new phones... More secure with 11. 

Waiting on you tmobile...

This is just sad. T-Mobile is purposely not releasing android 11 on our devices. There is no logical reason why we shouldn't have the upgrade by now. The build has been done. This is just T-Mobile purposely trying to hamper sales in favor of other devices with higher prices. I'm actually surprised OnePlus isn't bothered by T-mobile purposely trying to devalue some of their devices.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Upon looking at the software update page. The oneplus 8 is listed under the testing section. Send it over and I'll help with that. I bet others from this thread are willing to do the same. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I'm at a loss for words at this point.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Customers are here voicing their dissatisfaction and nothing is being said in reply from T-Mobile. 

In situations like these silence tells the entire story.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Customers are here voicing their dissatisfaction and nothing is being said in reply from T-Mobile. 

In situations like these silence tells the entire story.