Solved

One Plus 8 android 11 update ETA?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

139 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

If you are listening TM. You have several unhappy customers. We have been waiting months.

Considering a Class action lawsuit. This is pathetic. $800 dollars just to be shafted by the carrier. This is pathetic at this point. There is a very obvious push to get a 8T, withholding the Update is about the only real thing over the 8T. 

The manufacture has already approved and released the software. T-Mobile is damaging the units by loading custom firmware's, AND then taking longer than acceptable to push official firmware's, with a push to sell the 8T. At this point, im truly convinced I'm owed damages as I paid the same retail price for a Oneplus8 Tmobile version, which is the same price of other retail versions, with no notice that they would be withholding updates. I cannot sell this phone with the manufacture approved software update, thus damaging the value. 

If anyone else would like to join me in this effort, let me know as I am not going to the BBB and FTC with complaints.

There is nothing left for us to do other than:

1. Let T-Mobile do what they want with our money and devices
  2. Begin Official complaints against T-Mobile and begin demanding credits. 
Userlevel 3
Badge

Seeing that we are now into January and the security patch for this month is it out. Would it be possible to  get the December security patch? I don't want to set expectations to high. 🙄

Created an account after following this for the past month to comment.

T-mobile if you're listening release the update already or at the very least give us a timeline or updates. Otherwise might as well just pay for the phone outright and switch to a different brand.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Here we are in the middle of November with no update and still on the September security patch. This is a major fail on T-Mobiles end.

Big time major fail at both ends, more so with T-Mobile for sure. Heck, my 6T is running the October security patch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Wow.

Absolutely pathetic. Were talking about a phone from 6 months ago being refused updates, while one from 2 years prior is enjoying atleast the latest security updates. It's almost February now.

Compared to 5 pages of complaining?  Maybe the 8’s didn’t sell well enough for T-Mobile to consider it a priority to throw their bloat at and ask OnePlus to get the update out as soon as possible.  With some mentioning issues.  Maybe that is contributing to the update taking longer.  I have an 8 that I haven’t had any issues with, thankfully. 

I have also purchased an 8T though.  With the 8 and 8T, T-Mobile seems to have strayed away from a lot of the more common things on the Global firmware.  Whether or not this is good or bad, is a matter of opinion.  With the 8T, I prefer the OnePlus dialer and texting app over the Google Dialer and Android Messages app in the global.  Features also differ between each device firmware now as well, with features on the 8 Global not being on the 8 from T-Mobile and the same goes for the 8T.  

Ultimately, it will be ready when it is ready.  Complaining on a forum with very little T-Mobile presence isn’t going to be heard by anyone who cares one way or another in T-Mobile or OnePlus.  

I'm not buying ANY phones from T-Mobile again. I'm so sick of this .  They always the LAST  to get updates out. I didn't pay for this phone. So that I could not only have everything locked , but also get android 11 at the back of the bus. around man. I'm droooing all costs up front and from the manufacturer from now on. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Syaoran Thank you for your feedback I kind of thought along those lines being when they release that one plus 8t it's supposed to be preloaded with Android 11. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out by then. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

i have yet to see it kicked out with any carriers here in the U.S...so either that means theyre all dragging feet….or theres something wrong with the update and its delaying everyone..

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I know some blame the firmware.  Have you tried the MSM Tool to roll it back to an earlier firmware to try and eliminate it being a bad or potentially corrupted update causing the issue?  You could always RMA the device as well through the manufacturers warranty or insurance on the device, if you have that. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I checked on this and we don’t have a solid date for release. I do know we’ll be getting it. Our support page does show it’s in the development stage, but that’s all we have right now.

Oneplus has released 5 beta builds for Android 11 and 2 stables that I know of. At this point we all know this is a T-mobile failure. Those of us that want to get the update should have their phones unlocked so we can update. This is simply the customer being denied the update from T-Mobile. 

This is not the way to move Oneplus phones. Believe it or not frequent updates help sell devices (Apple). Oneplus built a reputation with frequent updates and feature rich phones. I'm honestly shocked that Oneplus is letting a carrier do damage to their reputation. 

It's to be expected with carrier locked phones to be a tad late on the software updates. I wouldn't feel too bad.. if you've ventured into the OnePlus community app, there's a bunch of negative feedback with the latest OTA that it is good we're gonna probably get a more refined version.

Badge

I own both a T-Mobile OnePlus 8 and T-Mobile OnePlus 8T, my Wife has the regular 8 where I have the 8T.  I personally find this delay entirely unacceptable and arbitrary.  More should complain, and “it comes out, when it comes out” is not acceptable.  

I gave her the 8 when I picked up the 8T, and feel bad she’s stuck far behind now with less features.  I had figured it may take a few weeks, maybe a month for her to get Android 11.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I own both a T-Mobile OnePlus 8 and T-Mobile OnePlus 8T, my Wife has the regular 8 where I have the 8T.  I personally find this delay entirely unacceptable and arbitrary.  More should complain, and “it comes out, when it comes out” is not acceptable.  

I gave her the 8 when I picked up the 8T, and feel bad she’s stuck far behind now with less features.  I had figured it may take a few weeks, maybe a month for her to get Android 11.  

Verizon started kicking theirs out yesterday...going by the usual rule of thumb when it comes to OS update releases (not including if there are any additional issues) it should start getting kicked out by other carriers within the next week or so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It's unacceptable. The OnePlus brand was founded on Vanilla builds without carrier interference. This update has been out for 3 days now, and T-Mobile still has it listed as "In Development". The only thing they need to do is carry over the modem settings. There is 0 reason why it is taking this long. Only American carriers do this madness.

You are correct. T-MOBILE needs to stay out of the software business and let manufactures handle things correctly.  At this point I want this phone unlocked so I can flash the update..

T-Mobile doesn't do much of anything for the updates.  The bulk of it is compiled, tested, and released by OnePlus.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

When updates are released, they usually are limited rollouts as well to prevent any major bugs that slipped through from becoming wide spread.  There are a couple of minor issues with the OOS11 build for the non-carrier version of the device.  These aren’t device breaking but for some, are at the very least, annoying.  When the T-Mobile release goes out, there is no guarantee your device will even receive the update in the initial rollout.  

Device updates are not T-Mobiles liability. They will tell you that QUICKLY on the phone. You will be referred to manufacture. As such in this case, the manufacturer has already tested and approved the update for STABLE release. Arbitrarily withholding feature updates is only intended to get us to purchase/upgrade to the 8T, as it launches. It comes with A11, wouldn't want to ruin really the only thing different between the 2.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Upon looking at the software update page. The oneplus 8 is listed under the testing section. Send it over and I'll help with that. I bet others from this thread are willing to do the same. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

At this point it's a running joke. The update was released by Oneplus almost 2 months ago. Assumed it would be here once they released the 8T. The 8T has gotten a few Android 11bug fixes and updates since its release and we're still waiting. T-mobile is trying to milk 8T sales with Android 11 as an "exclusive" for that phone. After this I'm back to Samsung. If I'm going to wait the same amount of time I'd rather get more new features. It isn't Oneplus that ruined the T-mobile experience for me it's T-mobile that ruined the Oneplus experience. 

I am in agreement with this statement. I'm honestly surprised that Oneplus is willing to bend the knee like this and let TMO kill one of the things they made their name with. 

name a carrier here in the US that has released it so far..

at this point Verizons last update pushed out was back in November and it was a security patch only..nothing since.

Userlevel 2

Last I checked this was a T-mobile thread. Don't care about other carriers just the one I'm on. T-mobile is trying to milk Oneplus 8T sales and that's pretty much all there is to it. The average consumer isn't going to flash custom ROMS but the fact that there are Stable OEM and custom ROMS out there for this phone shows it could have been released at the least a month ago. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

whoot there it is

This is just sad. T-Mobile is purposely not releasing android 11 on our devices. There is no logical reason why we shouldn't have the upgrade by now. The build has been done. This is just T-Mobile purposely trying to hamper sales in favor of other devices with higher prices. I'm actually surprised OnePlus isn't bothered by T-mobile purposely trying to devalue some of their devices.

Userlevel 2

As much as the T-mobile "experts" like to jump in comments with their responses their quietness is speaking volumes. We're going to be in 2021 in a few days and are treated like 3rd world countries on everything from COVID-19 relief bills to phone updates. 

Userlevel 2

I'm sure as disappointed as some are right now hearing about an update for the 8T is of no help. The 8T came with Android 11 from DAY ONE. The stable Android 11 release for the Oneplus 8 was released in October yet it's still "in development" which is the t-mobile term for "we don't have a clue at this point". We're about to head into 2021 and probably still have another few months to wait at this point. It's back to Samsung in 2021 on the JUMP program for me. 

T-Mobile please release Android 11 for the OnePlus 8!  It's been months since it was released!

Agreed!!!  I figure T-Mobile is swamped getting Sprint onboard but that does not excuse them from providing feedback and timely service to all of the rightfully restless natives.  OnePlus months ago allowed the Android 11 upgrade on their unlocked OnePlus 8 phones so where is our upgrade?  According to the T-Mobile website Android 11 is not even in testing mode yet.  Also what is the big hardware difference in Oneplus 8 and 8T to require their OnePlus 8T android 11 version not to work on their OnePlus 8 phones?  Operating systems (Unix, Windows, Android, Apple, etc.) are designed to operate with a wide variety of hardware or they would never be successful.

It's unacceptable. The OnePlus brand was founded on Vanilla builds without carrier interference. This update has been out for 3 days now, and T-Mobile still has it listed as "In Development". The only thing they need to do is carry over the modem settings. There is 0 reason why it is taking this long. Only American carriers do this madness.

You are correct. T-MOBILE needs to stay out of the software business and let manufactures handle things correctly.  At this point I want this phone unlocked so I can flash the update..

T-Mobile doesn't do much of anything for the updates.  The bulk of it is compiled, tested, and released by OnePlus.  

You are wrong. TMobile does have a team of Devs who do roll their own compiled version. How do you think those Tmobile system apps get on there? TMobile puts them there. Oneplus doesn't do it for them. Also their are slight changed in the modem images that have to be tweaked and compiled on TMobiles end.