Solved

One Plus 8 android 11 update ETA?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

139 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Here we are in the middle of November with no update and still on the September security patch. This is a major fail on T-Mobiles end.

Big time major fail at both ends, more so with T-Mobile for sure. Heck, my 6T is running the October security patch.

I converted my tmobile oneplus 8 to the nonbranded version to get Android 11, and it's a lot less stable than the latest tmobile android 10 branded version. Apps keep saying that theyre using too much battery that weren't before and the launcher keeps crashing about every 3rd day. This didn't happen before. I'm talking apps my amex, chase, and reddit.

Waiting is good in this instance.

The app thing, although annoying, is a part of Android.  You can turn off its notifications.  My devices last me more than a full day of use for what I do.  Stability for a new version of Android is always an issue at the beginning.  I have used Nova Launcher for the better part of a decade.  The launcher is more of an issue than the OS in this case.  Sure, it still has room for improvement.  As you mentioned, waiting isn't so bad, especially when you look at the current mess with Samsung devices. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Here we are in the middle of November with no update and still on the September security patch. This is a major fail on T-Mobiles end.

Big time major fail at both ends, more so with T-Mobile for sure. Heck, my 6T is running the October security patch.

I converted my tmobile oneplus 8 to the nonbranded version to get Android 11, and it's a lot less stable than the latest tmobile android 10 branded version. Apps keep saying that theyre using too much battery that weren't before and the launcher keeps crashing about every 3rd day. This didn't happen before. I'm talking apps my amex, chase, and reddit.

Waiting is good in this instance.

Not in any hurry for the upgrade to 11 until it’s good to go.  No problem with that, but delaying security updates to the point of LG territory is bad form.  OnePlus has way to many models these days to be a phone to consider if updates are at the top of your list.

Userlevel 2

At this point it's a running joke. The update was released by Oneplus almost 2 months ago. Assumed it would be here once they released the 8T. The 8T has gotten a few Android 11bug fixes and updates since its release and we're still waiting. T-mobile is trying to milk 8T sales with Android 11 as an "exclusive" for that phone. After this I'm back to Samsung. If I'm going to wait the same amount of time I'd rather get more new features. It isn't Oneplus that ruined the T-mobile experience for me it's T-mobile that ruined the Oneplus experience. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

At this point it's a running joke. The update was released by Oneplus almost 2 months ago. Assumed it would be here once they released the 8T. The 8T has gotten a few Android 11bug fixes and updates since its release and we're still waiting. T-mobile is trying to milk 8T sales with Android 11 as an "exclusive" for that phone. After this I'm back to Samsung. If I'm going to wait the same amount of time I'd rather get more new features. It isn't Oneplus that ruined the T-mobile experience for me it's T-mobile that ruined the Oneplus experience. 

I am in agreement with this statement. I'm honestly surprised that Oneplus is willing to bend the knee like this and let TMO kill one of the things they made their name with. 

Userlevel 2

Wow...November Security Patch on December 2nd...in Development for Android 11 must mean still in the Discussion stage at this point lol

Userlevel 2

Wow...November Security Patch on December 2nd...in Development for Android 11 must mean still in the Discussion stage at this point lol

Yep, it's complete garbage. Been following the thread since before October. My guess is they're trying to cram as much carrier bloat as possible into the update. It's the laziness and greed we've come to expect from most corporations these days. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I am in agreement with this statement. I'm honestly surprised that Oneplus is willing to bend the knee like this and let TMO kill one of the things they made their name with. 

name a carrier here in the US that has released it so far..

at this point Verizons last update pushed out was back in November and it was a security patch only..nothing since.

Userlevel 2

Last I checked this was a T-mobile thread. Don't care about other carriers just the one I'm on. T-mobile is trying to milk Oneplus 8T sales and that's pretty much all there is to it. The average consumer isn't going to flash custom ROMS but the fact that there are Stable OEM and custom ROMS out there for this phone shows it could have been released at the least a month ago. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

everyone loves to point fingers at who they think is the culprit holding things up..yet never actually do any footwork on their own to see why…

but again..could have been released a month ago yet there are two carriers that have yet to fire it out..are they both trying to milk it? or are the carrier variants OP is working on still running into issues?

Userlevel 2

Obviously you're the resident rocket scientist here. Not sure how to do footwork on the internet and customer service gramps but wouldn't have to anyways. This is not the first Oneplus or first phone period that T-mobile has done this with to milk sales. They've done it with Samsung devices as well. Still crying about other companies do your "footwork" and sign up with one of them and let the rest of us know how it goes lol

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

why? my LG V60 should be getting 11 later this month ;-)

so again...since TMO is the one holding ALL of this up just to pull in more money...which other carrier has released it already and is obviously pushing harder for THEIR customers than TMO is?

Userlevel 2
Badge

why? my LG V60 should be getting 11 later this month ;-)

so again...since TMO is the one holding ALL of this up just to pull in more money...which other carrier has released it already and is obviously pushing harder for THEIR customers than TMO is?

So did you go to the Verizon thread? You know, the one where the Verizon rep replied that it's up to the manufacturer? Also, that's for the Pro, so none of that is relevant. It's being artificially held back. 

+$5 has been added to your T-Mobile Cash Account

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

you mean this one?

https://www.verizon.com/support/oneplus-8-5g-uw-update/?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D32397351837922393211329541854599524174%7CMCORGID%3D843F02BE53271A1A0A490D4C%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1607356578&mboxSession=0336d4e996264a3e8d9418b0844ab5f4

and im well aware who its up to...

Userlevel 3
Badge

I see that the Samsung S20 series got Android 11 before oneplus. This is bizarre as Samsung is horrible with updates. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

It's just a joke at this point.

I'm not buying ANY phones from T-Mobile again. I'm so sick of this .  They always the LAST  to get updates out. I didn't pay for this phone. So that I could not only have everything locked , but also get android 11 at the back of the bus. around man. I'm droooing all costs up front and from the manufacturer from now on. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I see that the Samsung S20 series got Android 11 before oneplus. This is bizarre as Samsung is horrible with updates. 

the release got paused due to issues found for the S20 already….it would seem they are STILL horrible with updates lol..theyre just rackin it up this year for update muck ups

Userlevel 2

It's hilarious at this point. This only indicates how horrible the sales for the 8T are on T-mobile. Real smart move T-mobile holding out an update to try and get users to "upgrade". Just face reality that 8T sales are not going to improve and release the Android 11 update already. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

It's hilarious at this point. This only indicates how horrible the sales for the 8T are on T-mobile. Real smart move T-mobile holding out an update to try and get users to "upgrade". Just face reality that 8T sales are not going to improve and release the Android 11 update already. 

Carrier financed phones are convenient and are a great way to get folks on your network, but things like this make it not worth it. On my next phone purchase TMO will not get my money. 

Almost feels like the uncarrier has became just another carrier. 

Does anyone have any information on when T-Mobile will release the android 11 update? 

After emailing Oneplus, they say the Android 11 update is ready and is up to the service provider to release the update. TMobile just slow AF as usual with updates

Userlevel 3
Badge

Does anyone have any information on when T-Mobile will release the android 11 update? 

After emailing Oneplus, they say the Android 11 update is ready and is up to the service provider to release the update. TMobile just slow AF as usual with updates

Would anyone from TMO like to respond to this?

Badge

Carrier financed phones are convenient and are a great way to get folks on your network, but things like this make it not worth it. On my next phone purchase TMO will not get my money. 

Almost feels like the uncarrier has became just another carrier. 

I couldn’t agree more. I still fail to see the rationality behind withholding updates at the carrier. 

I’d wager they’re either 1) withholding the update as mentioned above - to boost profits - or 2) there’s some gross incompetence on the side of their dev team.

Either way, it’s ridiculous that we’re even having this conversation. I’d rather they release an untested, OEM image and then just tell its users they cannot get support if they upgrade to that version. Most people are savvy enough to use Google and troubleshoot their way around issues. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

i think so and its about time the customers decide how they want to do this instead of being herded like cattle to so something else .its our decision ,let the people make the call ,not the carrier , if you support your customers then show it , or else back away from update buisness ..plain and simple .. no reason we cant handle it . Allow the update from OP and allow users to actually use software OP gives us on there phones .. let us decide how to handle it .. im sure most could work out kinks on their own ,.. All In Favor Say I ...Enough Said .. 

Userlevel 2

As much as the T-mobile "experts" like to jump in comments with their responses their quietness is speaking volumes. We're going to be in 2021 in a few days and are treated like 3rd world countries on everything from COVID-19 relief bills to phone updates. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

As much as the T-mobile "experts" like to jump in comments with their responses their quietness is speaking volumes. We're going to be in 2021 in a few days and are treated like 3rd world countries on everything from COVID-19 relief bills to phone updates. 

Oneplus released the official build for North America on December 7th. I know that TMO isn't moving as many oneplus units as Samsung, but this is how you sale even less.