Solved

One Plus 8 android 11 update ETA?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

139 replies

T-Mobile please release Android 11 for the OnePlus 8!  It's been months since it was released!

Agreed!!!  I figure T-Mobile is swamped getting Sprint onboard but that does not excuse them from providing feedback and timely service to all of the rightfully restless natives.  OnePlus months ago allowed the Android 11 upgrade on their unlocked OnePlus 8 phones so where is our upgrade?  According to the T-Mobile website Android 11 is not even in testing mode yet.  Also what is the big hardware difference in Oneplus 8 and 8T to require their OnePlus 8T android 11 version not to work on their OnePlus 8 phones?  Operating systems (Unix, Windows, Android, Apple, etc.) are designed to operate with a wide variety of hardware or they would never be successful.

Getting really frustrated with this. I've been with oneplus since the 5t and the 8t is the first oneplus phone I got through tmobile. Not even one update? Really? We had a security patch within a couple weeks but wait 3 months for a stable update already given by oneplus? What the hell is this? Shit at least give us the option for a "beta" build through tmobile to give us the CURENT build

T-Mobile please release Android 11 for the OnePlus 8!  It's been months since it was released!

Created an account after following this for the past month to comment.

T-mobile if you're listening release the update already or at the very least give us a timeline or updates. Otherwise might as well just pay for the phone outright and switch to a different brand.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Seeing that we are now into January and the security patch for this month is it out. Would it be possible to  get the December security patch? I don't want to set expectations to high. 🙄

Userlevel 2
Badge

If you are listening TM. You have several unhappy customers. We have been waiting months.

Considering a Class action lawsuit. This is pathetic. $800 dollars just to be shafted by the carrier. This is pathetic at this point. There is a very obvious push to get a 8T, withholding the Update is about the only real thing over the 8T. 

The manufacture has already approved and released the software. T-Mobile is damaging the units by loading custom firmware's, AND then taking longer than acceptable to push official firmware's, with a push to sell the 8T. At this point, im truly convinced I'm owed damages as I paid the same retail price for a Oneplus8 Tmobile version, which is the same price of other retail versions, with no notice that they would be withholding updates. I cannot sell this phone with the manufacture approved software update, thus damaging the value. 

If anyone else would like to join me in this effort, let me know as I am not going to the BBB and FTC with complaints.

There is nothing left for us to do other than:

1. Let T-Mobile do what they want with our money and devices
  2. Begin Official complaints against T-Mobile and begin demanding credits. 

If you are listening TM. You have several unhappy customers. We have been waiting months.

Userlevel 2

Does anyone have any information on when T-Mobile will release the android 11 update? 

update is on Oneplus website, TMO just slow AF on there part.

oneplus 8 5g Android 11

That unfortunately won't work, as T-Mobile has blocked the local update function on their devices. And im afraid to flash it another way and risk bricking the device in case tmobile has done something fishy somewhere in their version of the rom that screws anyone who installs the unlocked rom straight from OP.

Don't be fooled people, the only reason that T-Mobile is taking so long is that they are incompetent and are trying as hard as they can to stuff their own bloatware into the update. This is the kind of garbage you come to expect from a big company like them.

Does anyone have any information on when T-Mobile will release the android 11 update? 

update is on Oneplus website, TMO just slow AF on there part.

oneplus 8 5g Android 11

Userlevel 2

I'm sure as disappointed as some are right now hearing about an update for the 8T is of no help. The 8T came with Android 11 from DAY ONE. The stable Android 11 release for the Oneplus 8 was released in October yet it's still "in development" which is the t-mobile term for "we don't have a clue at this point". We're about to head into 2021 and probably still have another few months to wait at this point. It's back to Samsung in 2021 on the JUMP program for me. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I checked on this and we don’t have a solid date for release. I do know we’ll be getting it. Our support page does show it’s in the development stage, but that’s all we have right now.

Oneplus has released 5 beta builds for Android 11 and 2 stables that I know of. At this point we all know this is a T-mobile failure. Those of us that want to get the update should have their phones unlocked so we can update. This is simply the customer being denied the update from T-Mobile. 

This is not the way to move Oneplus phones. Believe it or not frequent updates help sell devices (Apple). Oneplus built a reputation with frequent updates and feature rich phones. I'm honestly shocked that Oneplus is letting a carrier do damage to their reputation. 

Just an FYI for those following this thread. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I checked on this and we don’t have a solid date for release. I do know we’ll be getting it. Our support page does show it’s in the development stage, but that’s all we have right now.

Oneplus has released 5 beta builds for Android 11 and 2 stables that I know of. At this point we all know this is a T-mobile failure. Those of us that want to get the update should have their phones unlocked so we can update. This is simply the customer being denied the update from T-Mobile. 

This is not the way to move Oneplus phones. Believe it or not frequent updates help sell devices (Apple). Oneplus built a reputation with frequent updates and feature rich phones. I'm honestly shocked that Oneplus is letting a carrier do damage to their reputation. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

This is genuinely baffling. I switched from a Pixel to THIS? I had the Android 11 Beta in JUNE. OnePlus had the beta available to non-locked devices MONTHS ago. This is simply unacceptable.

Userlevel 3
Badge

As much as the T-mobile "experts" like to jump in comments with their responses their quietness is speaking volumes. We're going to be in 2021 in a few days and are treated like 3rd world countries on everything from COVID-19 relief bills to phone updates. 

Oneplus released the official build for North America on December 7th. I know that TMO isn't moving as many oneplus units as Samsung, but this is how you sale even less.

Userlevel 2

As much as the T-mobile "experts" like to jump in comments with their responses their quietness is speaking volumes. We're going to be in 2021 in a few days and are treated like 3rd world countries on everything from COVID-19 relief bills to phone updates. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

i think so and its about time the customers decide how they want to do this instead of being herded like cattle to so something else .its our decision ,let the people make the call ,not the carrier , if you support your customers then show it , or else back away from update buisness ..plain and simple .. no reason we cant handle it . Allow the update from OP and allow users to actually use software OP gives us on there phones .. let us decide how to handle it .. im sure most could work out kinks on their own ,.. All In Favor Say I ...Enough Said .. 

Badge

It's hilarious at this point. This only indicates how horrible the sales for the 8T are on T-mobile. Real smart move T-mobile holding out an update to try and get users to "upgrade". Just face reality that 8T sales are not going to improve and release the Android 11 update already. 

Carrier financed phones are convenient and are a great way to get folks on your network, but things like this make it not worth it. On my next phone purchase TMO will not get my money. 

Almost feels like the uncarrier has became just another carrier. 

I couldn’t agree more. I still fail to see the rationality behind withholding updates at the carrier. 

I’d wager they’re either 1) withholding the update as mentioned above - to boost profits - or 2) there’s some gross incompetence on the side of their dev team.

Either way, it’s ridiculous that we’re even having this conversation. I’d rather they release an untested, OEM image and then just tell its users they cannot get support if they upgrade to that version. Most people are savvy enough to use Google and troubleshoot their way around issues. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

After emailing Oneplus, they say the Android 11 update is ready and is up to the service provider to release the update. TMobile just slow AF as usual with updates

Would anyone from TMO like to respond to this?

After emailing Oneplus, they say the Android 11 update is ready and is up to the service provider to release the update. TMobile just slow AF as usual with updates

Userlevel 3
Badge

It's hilarious at this point. This only indicates how horrible the sales for the 8T are on T-mobile. Real smart move T-mobile holding out an update to try and get users to "upgrade". Just face reality that 8T sales are not going to improve and release the Android 11 update already. 

Carrier financed phones are convenient and are a great way to get folks on your network, but things like this make it not worth it. On my next phone purchase TMO will not get my money. 

Almost feels like the uncarrier has became just another carrier. 

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I see that the Samsung S20 series got Android 11 before oneplus. This is bizarre as Samsung is horrible with updates. 

the release got paused due to issues found for the S20 already….it would seem they are STILL horrible with updates lol..theyre just rackin it up this year for update muck ups

I'm not buying ANY phones from T-Mobile again. I'm so sick of this .  They always the LAST  to get updates out. I didn't pay for this phone. So that I could not only have everything locked , but also get android 11 at the back of the bus. around man. I'm droooing all costs up front and from the manufacturer from now on. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

It's just a joke at this point.