Solved

One Plus 8 android 11 update ETA?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

139 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

As much as the T-mobile "experts" like to jump in comments with their responses their quietness is speaking volumes. We're going to be in 2021 in a few days and are treated like 3rd world countries on everything from COVID-19 relief bills to phone updates. 

Oneplus released the official build for North America on December 7th. I know that TMO isn't moving as many oneplus units as Samsung, but this is how you sale even less.

This is sickening really. Have been tmo family line customer for 20+ years. Asked for courtesy 8T upgrade due to stagnant process on upgrade to 11. Told no.

If can't hear something soon have found matched rate for my 5+ lines with competition, new phones... More secure with 11. 

Waiting on you tmobile...

Userlevel 2

Obviously you're the resident rocket scientist here. Not sure how to do footwork on the internet and customer service gramps but wouldn't have to anyways. This is not the first Oneplus or first phone period that T-mobile has done this with to milk sales. They've done it with Samsung devices as well. Still crying about other companies do your "footwork" and sign up with one of them and let the rest of us know how it goes lol

I am feeling the same frustration.  When A10 came out for the OP 7 Pro TMobile ran a FUT program to test the software before they distributed it.   I have not heard of any such program for A11.  I am hoping they will be doing the same thing for this device.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Customers are here voicing their dissatisfaction and nothing is being said in reply from T-Mobile. 

In situations like these silence tells the entire story.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I submitted a complaint to the FCC, someone from T-Mobile called me back. She didn't have an answer, wanted to pretend this thread didn't exist, and I was whining. Once I told her "Imagine buying a new iPhone, and within 4 months, you're nolonger getting updates. Do you think you could sell that iPhone for a fair price?" She didn't have a answer and just repeated OnePlus Hasn't updated the phone. I told her people who worked on CyanogenMod was able to work these updates out WAY faster, and that wasnt even their day jobs, they did it for donations.

I received the obvious corporate response, so I would recommend sending complaints in. This is the #1 replied to thread at this point, we need to make some noise, or T-Mobile just took us all for 800 dollars.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I submitted a complaint to the FCC, someone from T-Mobile called me back. She didn't have an answer, wanted to pretend this thread didn't exist, and I was whining. Once I told her "Imagine buying a new iPhone, and within 4 months, you're nolonger getting updates. Do you think you could sell that iPhone for a fair price?" She didn't have a answer and just repeated OnePlus Hasn't updated the phone. I told her people who worked on CyanogenMod was able to work these updates out WAY faster, and that wasnt even their day jobs, they did it for donations.

I received the obvious corporate response, so I would recommend sending complaints in. This is the #1 replied to thread at this point, we need to make some noise, or T-Mobile just took us all for 800 dollars.

Someone from the T-Mobile side is watching this thread, you can guarantee it. 

Really it's shocking that either they are withholding the truth or they have a really terrible lack of communication between departments.

At this point I'm with you that going to the FCC maybe the only way to get resolution to the issue, but those who make the next filings need to include Oneplus also. Pressure on both sides will force out the truth.

You guys do realize that not even OnePlus has released a stable version of Android 11 for the OP8, right? And not even a developer preview or beta for the 7/7T?

The blame is OnePlus's -- making too many new models, not supporting the "older" ones anywhere where near as fast as they used to because they expect you to buy a new phone every 6 months, and are now slower than even Samsung at releasing monthly security updates.  Last year, they made the Android 10 dev preview and open beta available for the 6/6T and 7/Pro/7T/Pro. And the final version available for all by October. And were releasing security updates in less than a week after Google. OnePlus has moved on to only caring about their very latest phone, and even then, slower than Samsung at releasing security patches.

Lastly, if you wanted to run OnePlus's developer preview or beta builds, you shouldn't have bought a carrier phone...  Do you really expect T-Mobile to push non-final builds to it's customers? 

You guys do realize that not even OnePlus has released a stable version of Android 11 for the OP8, right? And not even a developer preview or beta for the 7/7T?

The blame is OnePlus's -- making too many new models, not supporting the "older" ones anywhere where near as fast as they used to because they expect you to buy a new phone every 6 months, and are now slower than even Samsung at releasing monthly security updates.

If you wanted to run OnePlus's developer preview or beta builds, you shouldn't have bought a carrier phone...  Do you really expect T-Mobile to push non-final builds to it's customers? 

They do have a stable release of OOS 11, but it's strictly for the unlocked variants currently. I assume at this point T-Mobile has their hands on it making the necessary tweaks and will push the update sometime before the end of the year.

There is no stable release of OOS 11 except on their newest OP8T...Not for OP8. 

There's an entire thread on their community app dedicated to OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro and OOS 11, respectively. People have already been receiving the update for like a month now.

Um, no. You are wrong.  There is an open beta release of OOS 11 for the 8/8 Pro. That is what the OnePlus community discussions are about. If one was running an open beta release of OOS 10, they were upgraded to the open beta release of OOS 11. Earlier than that, there was a dev preview release available. 

There is no stable release of OOS 11 except on their newest OP8T...Not for OP8/Pro

OnePlus has said they will release stable OOS 11 for non-carrier branded 7/Pro/T/Pro and 8/Pro in December. So how can T-Mobile be expected to release something that OnePlus hasn't even released for it's non-carrier phones?  They aren't going to waste their time testing a beta release nor should they be expected to.

The blame is fully on OnePlus. In the past year they have gone from being the first after Google to release updates to being almost the last…

Userlevel 2
Badge

Absolutely disappointed to see an update ready this morning, for it to only be security updates. What a terrible way to start the week.

Userlevel 2
Badge

It's just a joke at this point.

Userlevel 2
Badge

oh my pearls of wisdom are free of charge for you ;)

aside from having the OEM add in carrier branding stuff the only other thing carriers do is test to make sure it isnt going to screw anything else up.. it fails and they fire it back to the OEM to fix what they found..

dont want to wait for the updates? stop purchasing carrier branded devices..that simple.

im not the one that had their world pretty much end because they didnt get a life altering device update yet lol

But that's just it, this isn't a carrier branded device. You're quickly proving yourself to be extremely ignorant. OnePlus devices are not carrier branded. Never have and never will be. 

Are you here just to shitpost?

Userlevel 2

Does anyone have any information on when T-Mobile will release the android 11 update? 

update is on Oneplus website, TMO just slow AF on there part.

oneplus 8 5g Android 11

That unfortunately won't work, as T-Mobile has blocked the local update function on their devices. And im afraid to flash it another way and risk bricking the device in case tmobile has done something fishy somewhere in their version of the rom that screws anyone who installs the unlocked rom straight from OP.

Don't be fooled people, the only reason that T-Mobile is taking so long is that they are incompetent and are trying as hard as they can to stuff their own bloatware into the update. This is the kind of garbage you come to expect from a big company like them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It's unacceptable. The OnePlus brand was founded on Vanilla builds without carrier interference. This update has been out for 3 days now, and T-Mobile still has it listed as "In Development". The only thing they need to do is carry over the modem settings. There is 0 reason why it is taking this long. Only American carriers do this madness.

You are correct. T-MOBILE needs to stay out of the software business and let manufactures handle things correctly.  At this point I want this phone unlocked so I can flash the update..

T-Mobile doesn't do much of anything for the updates.  The bulk of it is compiled, tested, and released by OnePlus.  

You are wrong. TMobile does have a team of Devs who do roll their own compiled version. How do you think those Tmobile system apps get on there? TMobile puts them there. Oneplus doesn't do it for them. Also their are slight changed in the modem images that have to be tweaked and compiled on TMobiles end. 

They submit them to OnePlus.  As a FUT member (a closed beta tester) for multiple OnePlus devices, both from T-Mobile and directly from OnePlus.  Keep dreaming if you want to think carriers actually employ a development team for anything.  Even their carrier apps are contracted out to third parties, because that is a lot cheaper.  The OEM is responsible for the device software, including those updates for carrier devices.  

For the rest of you.  You could always buy a OnePlus 8T+ 5G or OnePlus 8T, if you are too impatient to wait for the update.  If you are lucky, maybe that update will roll out sometime around December.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

you mean this one?

https://www.verizon.com/support/oneplus-8-5g-uw-update/?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D32397351837922393211329541854599524174%7CMCORGID%3D843F02BE53271A1A0A490D4C%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1607356578&mboxSession=0336d4e996264a3e8d9418b0844ab5f4

and im well aware who its up to...

Userlevel 3
Badge

It's hilarious at this point. This only indicates how horrible the sales for the 8T are on T-mobile. Real smart move T-mobile holding out an update to try and get users to "upgrade". Just face reality that 8T sales are not going to improve and release the Android 11 update already. 

Carrier financed phones are convenient and are a great way to get folks on your network, but things like this make it not worth it. On my next phone purchase TMO will not get my money. 

Almost feels like the uncarrier has became just another carrier. 

If you are listening TM. You have several unhappy customers. We have been waiting months.

T-Mobile has really dropped the ball on this.  It’s quite embarrassing for them that it has taken so obnoxiously long and yet we still don’t even have an ETA.

Honestly this might be the thing that pushes me to an iPhone.  I am so glad that Apple has essentially locked carriers out of interfering with their update process.  It’s sad that no Android OEM has the courage to do the same.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Customers are here voicing their dissatisfaction and nothing is being said in reply from T-Mobile. 

In situations like these silence tells the entire story.

Does anyone have any information on when T-Mobile will release the android 11 update? 

After emailing Oneplus, they say the Android 11 update is ready and is up to the service provider to release the update. TMobile just slow AF as usual with updates

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I checked on this and we don’t have a solid date for release. I do know we’ll be getting it. Our support page does show it’s in the development stage, but that’s all we have right now.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wow.

Absolutely pathetic. Were talking about a phone from 6 months ago being refused updates, while one from 2 years prior is enjoying atleast the latest security updates. It's almost February now.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I'm at a loss for words at this point.  

Searching information about the same matter and finally dropped here, I bought this OP8 a few days ago in the US but I'm currently in a different country, I had a doubt that's being bothering me, am I going to still receiving updates for T-mobile variant even though I'm not in the US? Have to mention the model of my phone is IN2017

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wow.

Absolutely pathetic. Were talking about a phone from 6 months ago being refused updates, while one from 2 years prior is enjoying atleast the latest security updates. It's almost February now.

Compared to 5 pages of complaining?  Maybe the 8’s didn’t sell well enough for T-Mobile to consider it a priority to throw their bloat at and ask OnePlus to get the update out as soon as possible.  With some mentioning issues.  Maybe that is contributing to the update taking longer.  I have an 8 that I haven’t had any issues with, thankfully. 

I have also purchased an 8T though.  With the 8 and 8T, T-Mobile seems to have strayed away from a lot of the more common things on the Global firmware.  Whether or not this is good or bad, is a matter of opinion.  With the 8T, I prefer the OnePlus dialer and texting app over the Google Dialer and Android Messages app in the global.  Features also differ between each device firmware now as well, with features on the 8 Global not being on the 8 from T-Mobile and the same goes for the 8T.  

Ultimately, it will be ready when it is ready.  Complaining on a forum with very little T-Mobile presence isn’t going to be heard by anyone who cares one way or another in T-Mobile or OnePlus.  

You're literally the only one. 

You live in the forums, so nobody here cares of your opinions. Everyone else is very upset. Saying "I will be ready when it's ready" is not an acceptable answer. OnePlus has already released the update and I've already spoken to someone at TMobile via a FCC complaint. 

You may be dumb enough to just throw more money at more devices, but some of us actually understand what it takes to push the update.

Riddle me this, why can AOSP, CyanogenMod and other crank out updates in days, from people who work off donations, in mere weeks, not months? TMobile is a major carrier, with a vast amount of resources. The issue is Tmobile takes it upon themselves to handle updates, so they're responsible for them as well. Getting updates out in a timely fashion for devices they sell in a requirement of they want to handle the updates. They're not adding anything other than just abandoning the phone, and if you happened to buy one, your out of luck. They won't take a return, they won't update the phone, and they won't reply here. I'm going to make this my personal blog until someone says something as I'm sure everyone, but you, feels the same way.

5 dollars have been deposited into your account.