Question

One Plus 8 android 11 update ETA?

Show first post

137 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

*Shakes head*

*Shakes head even harder*

Were on almost 3 month old security update at this point. Atleast the new update will bring us withing a months time, but by time Tmobile let's the update go, it will he outdated agian anyways.

Userlevel 2

This is pathetic. I can't believe how long we have to wait for this update. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Userlevel 2
Badge

Literary a joke at this point. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

😑

T-Mobile has really dropped the ball on this.  It’s quite embarrassing for them that it has taken so obnoxiously long and yet we still don’t even have an ETA.

Honestly this might be the thing that pushes me to an iPhone.  I am so glad that Apple has essentially locked carriers out of interfering with their update process.  It’s sad that no Android OEM has the courage to do the same.

T-Mobile has really dropped the ball on this.  It’s quite embarrassing for them that it has taken so obnoxiously long and yet we still don’t even have an ETA.

Honestly this might be the thing that pushes me to an iPhone.  I am so glad that Apple has essentially locked carriers out of interfering with their update process.  It’s sad that no Android OEM has the courage to do the same.

The OP8 is a distant 3rd now in my inventory of TMobile phones. Pixel and iPhone are 1 and 2 for obvious reasons regarding getting updates. 

One of the reasons I finally returned my OP8, just before the 60 day return period closed with Amazon.  Without the update, I couldn’t ensure the problems present with Chrome, transition between WiFi to Cell, and a few other gremlins in 10.x were truly fixed.

Ended up buying a factory unlocked S20 FE in its place, which was also on sale.  You know what, the S20 FE already updated to One UI3 (Android 11), and I’ve actually received TWO(2) updates since, now running on Android 11 with the January security patch. - And the camera is head and shoulders better, with better battery life than the OP8.  (My OP8 did have a bit faster cellular data, with a bit cleaner UI, but hey, the S20 FE is super stable, and is getting updates).

I've been waiting for an update ever since I installed Software Version - 10.5.23.IN55CB for the OnePlus 8 5G

My phone is unusable as a phone as I can't receive calls or texts intermittently when connected to Wi-Fi. The only temporary fixes I've found is to turn airplane mode on/off, reboot, or turn off Wi-Fi indefinitely. Otherwise when someone calls, and I am connected to Wi-Fi, their calls might go straight to voicemail. My phone won't log that someone attempted to call me, unless a voicemail is left. Even when Wi-Fi calling is turned on/off and I have excellent cell / Wi-Fi signal. I also will have to turn Wi-Fi off, intermittently, when I do receive a call so that I can hear the other person. They can hear me, I just can't hear anything until I get off Wi-Fi calling. 

There have been multiple accounts of this issue, specific to only T-Mobile owned OnePlus 8 5G devices. One thread on One Plus's website being particularly helpful.

I've reset my network settings. Had T-Mobile update my Sim Card settings. Rebooted my phone numerous times. Tried on multiple Wi-Fi networks. Tried in multiple locations around my city with 5G signal and being connected to Wi-Fi. Turned 5G off and used 4G instead. Tried to see if it was specific to the numbers that called me but the issue still reoccurs. 

I've called T-Mobile support 3 separate times and the results and conclusion of those 3 separate calls were as follows.

1. Let's see if the troubleshooting steps we took fix the issue.

2. Let's see if the troubleshooting steps we took fix the issue. We had an expert change "some settings" that might help. If that doesn't work. Warranty your phone for an exact replacement which may have the same issue. Wait for the next update, that has no release date, which may fix that issue. 

3. Purchase a new phone. Warranty your phone for an exact replacement which may have the same issue. Wait for the next update, that has no release date, which may fix that issue.

In conclusion, like many others have said in regret. Don't purchase phones from phone carrier's no matter how much money you think you're saving. Manufacturing companies and unlocked phones from indirect sources also have deals on phones. T-mobile needs to address phone software version updates as a way to provid updated security to their users and supply a stable phone platform for everyday use.

Userlevel 2
Badge

One of the reasons I finally returned my OP8, just before the 60 day return period closed with Amazon.  Without the update, I couldn’t ensure the problems present with Chrome, transition between WiFi to Cell, and a few other gremlins in 10.x were truly fixed.

Ended up buying a factory unlocked S20 FE in its place, which was also on sale.  You know what, the S20 FE already updated to One UI3 (Android 11), and I’ve actually received TWO(2) updates since, now running on Android 11 with the January security patch. - And the camera is head and shoulders better, with better battery life than the OP8.  (My OP8 did have a bit faster cellular data, with a bit cleaner UI, but hey, the S20 FE is super stable, and is getting updates).

So what your saying is Tmobile is damaging OnePlus's name? That's how I'm feeling about it. I can't believe OnePlus has let this go on for as long as it has.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wow.

Absolutely pathetic. Were talking about a phone from 6 months ago being refused updates, while one from 2 years prior is enjoying atleast the latest security updates. It's almost February now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Wow.

Absolutely pathetic. Were talking about a phone from 6 months ago being refused updates, while one from 2 years prior is enjoying atleast the latest security updates. It's almost February now.

Compared to 5 pages of complaining?  Maybe the 8’s didn’t sell well enough for T-Mobile to consider it a priority to throw their bloat at and ask OnePlus to get the update out as soon as possible.  With some mentioning issues.  Maybe that is contributing to the update taking longer.  I have an 8 that I haven’t had any issues with, thankfully. 

I have also purchased an 8T though.  With the 8 and 8T, T-Mobile seems to have strayed away from a lot of the more common things on the Global firmware.  Whether or not this is good or bad, is a matter of opinion.  With the 8T, I prefer the OnePlus dialer and texting app over the Google Dialer and Android Messages app in the global.  Features also differ between each device firmware now as well, with features on the 8 Global not being on the 8 from T-Mobile and the same goes for the 8T.  

Ultimately, it will be ready when it is ready.  Complaining on a forum with very little T-Mobile presence isn’t going to be heard by anyone who cares one way or another in T-Mobile or OnePlus.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wow.

Compared to 5 pages of complaining?  Maybe the 8’s didn’t sell well enough for T-Mobile to consider it a priority to throw their bloat at and ask OnePlus to get the update out as soon as possible.  With some mentioning issues.  Maybe that is contributing to the update taking longer.  I have an 8 that I haven’t had any issues with, thankfully. 

I have also purchased an 8T though.  With the 8 and 8T, T-Mobile seems to have strayed away from a lot of the more common things on the Global firmware.  Whether or not this is good or bad, is a matter of opinion.  With the 8T, I prefer the OnePlus dialer and texting app over the Google Dialer and Android Messages app in the global.  Features also differ between each device firmware now as well, with features on the 8 Global not being on the 8 from T-Mobile and the same goes for the 8T.  

Ultimately, it will be ready when it is ready.  Complaining on a forum with very little T-Mobile presence isn’t going to be heard by anyone who cares one way or another in T-Mobile or OnePlus.  

You're literally the only one. 

You live in the forums, so nobody here cares of your opinions. Everyone else is very upset. Saying "I will be ready when it's ready" is not an acceptable answer. OnePlus has already released the update and I've already spoken to someone at TMobile via a FCC complaint. 

You may be dumb enough to just throw more money at more devices, but some of us actually understand what it takes to push the update.

Riddle me this, why can AOSP, CyanogenMod and other crank out updates in days, from people who work off donations, in mere weeks, not months? TMobile is a major carrier, with a vast amount of resources. The issue is Tmobile takes it upon themselves to handle updates, so they're responsible for them as well. Getting updates out in a timely fashion for devices they sell in a requirement of they want to handle the updates. They're not adding anything other than just abandoning the phone, and if you happened to buy one, your out of luck. They won't take a return, they won't update the phone, and they won't reply here. I'm going to make this my personal blog until someone says something as I'm sure everyone, but you, feels the same way.

5 dollars have been deposited into your account.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wow.

Your virtual trophy means nothing to anyone here.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

i have yet to see it kicked out with any carriers here in the U.S...so either that means theyre all dragging feet….or theres something wrong with the update and its delaying everyone..

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The trophy and rankings here don’t mean anything to me.  There are a lot of awesome and helpful people here, which is the point of this place.  A customer to customer forum for the most part.  

Most manufacturers guarantee 2 years of support for the device.  They don’t guarantee you an update every month or the latest Android build as soon as it’s available.  If you want that level of updates, the Pixel devices are your only options.  Your devices will get the update when it is ready.  The people who handle Cyanogen, AOSP, and those other ROM’s for devices do so, because that is a big source of income for them.  They are software developers that enjoy tech, just like the rest of us and in some cases, even more.  That’s why sometimes I end up buying 6 or more devices in a year.  Those developers also release software with plenty of disclaimers and sometimes it takes a build a few releases to get the bugs worked out.  They need to release the build because they need the feedback.  OnePlus does not!  OnePlus has the FUT Program for devices sold by OnePlus and for devices sold by T-Mobile. If you spent a little time on the OnePlus boards, you might have actually had the opportunity to apply to be a FUT member.  I am for 3 current devices, two of with are T-Mobile firmware versions.   

Badge

I agree with @tyenglish that they are an absolutely massive carrier making billions, therefore they can afford to support devices and release updates very fast. It should be a priority to make sure their users are 1) safe & secure and 2) satisfied. If they don’t want to take on that responsibility, I’m 100% okay with that, but remove any T-Mobile enforced limitations. If they want to control the updates then they need to be quick to release the latest versions. I don’t think that’s an unrealistic expectation. 

@syaoran You may be right that complaining here may not get us anywhere. I truly hope you’re wrong that T-Mobile doesn’t check for user feedback in their community site, but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear they don’t.

-----

Either way, I don’t think there’s much ground to stand on in defending their lack of support. It’s a weird position for them to hold. If their sales were awful and it’s not prudent to prioritize support, that’s fine, just release the phone from the update limitations. We can all easily download the image from OP and install it ourselves, an average user can pull that off without issue. (And if you bought the device direct from OP, this isn’t even an issue.)

I’ve heard people make the argument that if you want quick updates get a Pixel device. But that’s not a solution, nor does it address the issue. It changes the subject. It seems a self-fulfilling prophecy that non-Pixel/iPhone devices are subject to archaic carrier update policies, just because. The result is people like me (and probably @tyenglish) will never consider buying a phone from a carrier again, so it’s in their best interest to change the way they go about device support.

Badge

I own both a T-Mobile OnePlus 8 and T-Mobile OnePlus 8T, my Wife has the regular 8 where I have the 8T.  I personally find this delay entirely unacceptable and arbitrary.  More should complain, and “it comes out, when it comes out” is not acceptable.  

I gave her the 8 when I picked up the 8T, and feel bad she’s stuck far behind now with less features.  I had figured it may take a few weeks, maybe a month for her to get Android 11.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I own both a T-Mobile OnePlus 8 and T-Mobile OnePlus 8T, my Wife has the regular 8 where I have the 8T.  I personally find this delay entirely unacceptable and arbitrary.  More should complain, and “it comes out, when it comes out” is not acceptable.  

I gave her the 8 when I picked up the 8T, and feel bad she’s stuck far behind now with less features.  I had figured it may take a few weeks, maybe a month for her to get Android 11.  

Verizon started kicking theirs out yesterday...going by the usual rule of thumb when it comes to OS update releases (not including if there are any additional issues) it should start getting kicked out by other carriers within the next week or so.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

whoot there it is

Userlevel 2

Bad news (potentially, I could just be dumb) but I finished the update and still do not see the shelf feature, or do I see always on for ambient display. What even is included in this update, why the missing features, and is this yet another poorly veiled attempt to push us to buy the 8T?

Please, give me something here. 

No always on display. The biggest requested feature that folks were looking for in android 11 for oneplus and they didn't include it