Solved

One Plus 8 android 11 update ETA?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

139 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Has anyone been able to confirm the Android 11 update fixes the Chrome scrolling issue? - My biggest gripe with my OP8.  I purchased mine off of Amazon (open box) with a 90 day return, and hoping the update hits, allowing me to check that, and the hiccups when switching from WiFi back to Cellular issue, which occurs occasionally.  (Where you need to toggle into airplane and back to restart network services in order to make/receive calls/texts).

Really hoping those two issues are fixed in 11, as I don’t relish returning, and buying a Samsung device, as I love Oxygen OS.  (The Mute/Vibrate is so convenient too, and I don’t understand why other phones don’t implement one).

I'm hoping as well that it fixes the scroll issue. I have to pull the notification bar down to get it to work properly agian. I've also had it lock up watching videos via the Google News app. It spasms out and hurts to catch up, which makes for some odd audio and visual glitches.

I think this new update sabotage T-Mobile OnePlus 8 phones. I can't do s### without it keep freezing

Userlevel 3
Badge

*Shakes head*

Userlevel 2
Badge

It's unacceptable. The OnePlus brand was founded on Vanilla builds without carrier interference. This update has been out for 3 days now, and T-Mobile still has it listed as "In Development". The only thing they need to do is carry over the modem settings. There is 0 reason why it is taking this long. Only American carriers do this madness.

You are correct. T-MOBILE needs to stay out of the software business and let manufactures handle things correctly.  At this point I want this phone unlocked so I can flash the update..

T-Mobile doesn't do much of anything for the updates.  The bulk of it is compiled, tested, and released by OnePlus.  

You are wrong. TMobile does have a team of Devs who do roll their own compiled version. How do you think those Tmobile system apps get on there? TMobile puts them there. Oneplus doesn't do it for them. Also their are slight changed in the modem images that have to be tweaked and compiled on TMobiles end. 

They submit them to OnePlus.  As a FUT member (a closed beta tester) for multiple OnePlus devices, both from T-Mobile and directly from OnePlus.  Keep dreaming if you want to think carriers actually employ a development team for anything.  Even their carrier apps are contracted out to third parties, because that is a lot cheaper.  The OEM is responsible for the device software, including those updates for carrier devices.  

For the rest of you.  You could always buy a OnePlus 8T+ 5G or OnePlus 8T, if you are too impatient to wait for the update.  If you are lucky, maybe that update will roll out sometime around December.  

It's infuriating because that's exactly what they want you to do, buy/upgrade to the new one and spend another 800 dollars or so. They're artificially holding it back. If you buy a OP8 via any other means, you're not stuck with this issue. The manufacturer has already finished, stamped, approved, green lit, thumbs up, high fived the update. 

I'm having the same issue. Phone keeps freezing randomly

Userlevel 3
Badge

I see that the Samsung S20 series got Android 11 before oneplus. This is bizarre as Samsung is horrible with updates. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

*Shakes head*

*Shakes head even harder*

Were on almost 3 month old security update at this point. Atleast the new update will bring us withing a months time, but by time Tmobile let's the update go, it will he outdated agian anyways.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Over 3 weeks and still no update to Android 11. I'm a tmo fanboy, but this is ridiculous. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try factory resetting the device.  I haven’t had any issues with mine feeling sluggish or freezing, but I keep minimal apps and stuff on all of my devices.  

T-Mobile has really dropped the ball on this.  It’s quite embarrassing for them that it has taken so obnoxiously long and yet we still don’t even have an ETA.

Honestly this might be the thing that pushes me to an iPhone.  I am so glad that Apple has essentially locked carriers out of interfering with their update process.  It’s sad that no Android OEM has the courage to do the same.

The OP8 is a distant 3rd now in my inventory of TMobile phones. Pixel and iPhone are 1 and 2 for obvious reasons regarding getting updates. 

One of the reasons I finally returned my OP8, just before the 60 day return period closed with Amazon.  Without the update, I couldn’t ensure the problems present with Chrome, transition between WiFi to Cell, and a few other gremlins in 10.x were truly fixed.

Ended up buying a factory unlocked S20 FE in its place, which was also on sale.  You know what, the S20 FE already updated to One UI3 (Android 11), and I’ve actually received TWO(2) updates since, now running on Android 11 with the January security patch. - And the camera is head and shoulders better, with better battery life than the OP8.  (My OP8 did have a bit faster cellular data, with a bit cleaner UI, but hey, the S20 FE is super stable, and is getting updates).

I've been waiting for an update ever since I installed Software Version - 10.5.23.IN55CB for the OnePlus 8 5G

My phone is unusable as a phone as I can't receive calls or texts intermittently when connected to Wi-Fi. The only temporary fixes I've found is to turn airplane mode on/off, reboot, or turn off Wi-Fi indefinitely. Otherwise when someone calls, and I am connected to Wi-Fi, their calls might go straight to voicemail. My phone won't log that someone attempted to call me, unless a voicemail is left. Even when Wi-Fi calling is turned on/off and I have excellent cell / Wi-Fi signal. I also will have to turn Wi-Fi off, intermittently, when I do receive a call so that I can hear the other person. They can hear me, I just can't hear anything until I get off Wi-Fi calling. 

There have been multiple accounts of this issue, specific to only T-Mobile owned OnePlus 8 5G devices. One thread on One Plus's website being particularly helpful.

I've reset my network settings. Had T-Mobile update my Sim Card settings. Rebooted my phone numerous times. Tried on multiple Wi-Fi networks. Tried in multiple locations around my city with 5G signal and being connected to Wi-Fi. Turned 5G off and used 4G instead. Tried to see if it was specific to the numbers that called me but the issue still reoccurs. 

I've called T-Mobile support 3 separate times and the results and conclusion of those 3 separate calls were as follows.

1. Let's see if the troubleshooting steps we took fix the issue.

2. Let's see if the troubleshooting steps we took fix the issue. We had an expert change "some settings" that might help. If that doesn't work. Warranty your phone for an exact replacement which may have the same issue. Wait for the next update, that has no release date, which may fix that issue. 

3. Purchase a new phone. Warranty your phone for an exact replacement which may have the same issue. Wait for the next update, that has no release date, which may fix that issue.

In conclusion, like many others have said in regret. Don't purchase phones from phone carrier's no matter how much money you think you're saving. Manufacturing companies and unlocked phones from indirect sources also have deals on phones. T-mobile needs to address phone software version updates as a way to provid updated security to their users and supply a stable phone platform for everyday use.

Userlevel 2
Badge

One of the reasons I finally returned my OP8, just before the 60 day return period closed with Amazon.  Without the update, I couldn’t ensure the problems present with Chrome, transition between WiFi to Cell, and a few other gremlins in 10.x were truly fixed.

Ended up buying a factory unlocked S20 FE in its place, which was also on sale.  You know what, the S20 FE already updated to One UI3 (Android 11), and I’ve actually received TWO(2) updates since, now running on Android 11 with the January security patch. - And the camera is head and shoulders better, with better battery life than the OP8.  (My OP8 did have a bit faster cellular data, with a bit cleaner UI, but hey, the S20 FE is super stable, and is getting updates).

So what your saying is Tmobile is damaging OnePlus's name? That's how I'm feeling about it. I can't believe OnePlus has let this go on for as long as it has.

Userlevel 2