Solved

One Plus 8 android 11 update ETA?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Does anyone have any information on when T-Mobile will release the android 11 update? 

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 2 April 2021, 21:16

If folks come across this, our Software updates: OnePlus 8 page does show that Android 11 is available for this device. Check out that page for more info.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

139 replies

This is genuinely baffling. I switched from a Pixel to THIS? I had the Android 11 Beta in JUNE. OnePlus had the beta available to non-locked devices MONTHS ago. This is simply unacceptable.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I checked on this and we don’t have a solid date for release. I do know we’ll be getting it. Our support page does show it’s in the development stage, but that’s all we have right now.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I checked on this and we don’t have a solid date for release. I do know we’ll be getting it. Our support page does show it’s in the development stage, but that’s all we have right now.

Oneplus has released 5 beta builds for Android 11 and 2 stables that I know of. At this point we all know this is a T-mobile failure. Those of us that want to get the update should have their phones unlocked so we can update. This is simply the customer being denied the update from T-Mobile. 

This is not the way to move Oneplus phones. Believe it or not frequent updates help sell devices (Apple). Oneplus built a reputation with frequent updates and feature rich phones. I'm honestly shocked that Oneplus is letting a carrier do damage to their reputation. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Oneplus has released 5 beta builds for Android 11 and 2 stables that I know of. At this point we all know this is a T-mobile failure. Those of us that want to get the update should have their phones unlocked so we can update. This is simply the customer being denied the update from T-Mobile. 

This is not the way to move Oneplus phones. Believe it or not frequent updates help sell devices (Apple). Oneplus built a reputation with frequent updates and feature rich phones. I'm honestly shocked that Oneplus is letting a carrier do damage to their reputation. 

Just an FYI for those following this thread. 

Userlevel 2

I'm sure as disappointed as some are right now hearing about an update for the 8T is of no help. The 8T came with Android 11 from DAY ONE. The stable Android 11 release for the Oneplus 8 was released in October yet it's still "in development" which is the t-mobile term for "we don't have a clue at this point". We're about to head into 2021 and probably still have another few months to wait at this point. It's back to Samsung in 2021 on the JUMP program for me. 

Does anyone have any information on when T-Mobile will release the android 11 update? 

update is on Oneplus website, TMO just slow AF on there part.

oneplus 8 5g Android 11

Userlevel 2

update is on Oneplus website, TMO just slow AF on there part.

oneplus 8 5g Android 11

That unfortunately won't work, as T-Mobile has blocked the local update function on their devices. And im afraid to flash it another way and risk bricking the device in case tmobile has done something fishy somewhere in their version of the rom that screws anyone who installs the unlocked rom straight from OP.

Don't be fooled people, the only reason that T-Mobile is taking so long is that they are incompetent and are trying as hard as they can to stuff their own bloatware into the update. This is the kind of garbage you come to expect from a big company like them.

If you are listening TM. You have several unhappy customers. We have been waiting months.

Userlevel 2
Badge

If you are listening TM. You have several unhappy customers. We have been waiting months.

Considering a Class action lawsuit. This is pathetic. $800 dollars just to be shafted by the carrier. This is pathetic at this point. There is a very obvious push to get a 8T, withholding the Update is about the only real thing over the 8T. 

The manufacture has already approved and released the software. T-Mobile is damaging the units by loading custom firmware's, AND then taking longer than acceptable to push official firmware's, with a push to sell the 8T. At this point, im truly convinced I'm owed damages as I paid the same retail price for a Oneplus8 Tmobile version, which is the same price of other retail versions, with no notice that they would be withholding updates. I cannot sell this phone with the manufacture approved software update, thus damaging the value. 

If anyone else would like to join me in this effort, let me know as I am not going to the BBB and FTC with complaints.

There is nothing left for us to do other than:

1. Let T-Mobile do what they want with our money and devices
  2. Begin Official complaints against T-Mobile and begin demanding credits. 
Userlevel 3
Badge

Seeing that we are now into January and the security patch for this month is it out. Would it be possible to  get the December security patch? I don't want to set expectations to high. 🙄

Created an account after following this for the past month to comment.

T-mobile if you're listening release the update already or at the very least give us a timeline or updates. Otherwise might as well just pay for the phone outright and switch to a different brand.

T-Mobile please release Android 11 for the OnePlus 8!  It's been months since it was released!

Getting really frustrated with this. I've been with oneplus since the 5t and the 8t is the first oneplus phone I got through tmobile. Not even one update? Really? We had a security patch within a couple weeks but wait 3 months for a stable update already given by oneplus? What the hell is this? Shit at least give us the option for a "beta" build through tmobile to give us the CURENT build

T-Mobile please release Android 11 for the OnePlus 8!  It's been months since it was released!

Agreed!!!  I figure T-Mobile is swamped getting Sprint onboard but that does not excuse them from providing feedback and timely service to all of the rightfully restless natives.  OnePlus months ago allowed the Android 11 upgrade on their unlocked OnePlus 8 phones so where is our upgrade?  According to the T-Mobile website Android 11 is not even in testing mode yet.  Also what is the big hardware difference in Oneplus 8 and 8T to require their OnePlus 8T android 11 version not to work on their OnePlus 8 phones?  Operating systems (Unix, Windows, Android, Apple, etc.) are designed to operate with a wide variety of hardware or they would never be successful.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Customers are here voicing their dissatisfaction and nothing is being said in reply from T-Mobile. 

In situations like these silence tells the entire story.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Customers are here voicing their dissatisfaction and nothing is being said in reply from T-Mobile. 

In situations like these silence tells the entire story.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I'm at a loss for words at this point.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Upon looking at the software update page. The oneplus 8 is listed under the testing section. Send it over and I'll help with that. I bet others from this thread are willing to do the same. 

This is just sad. T-Mobile is purposely not releasing android 11 on our devices. There is no logical reason why we shouldn't have the upgrade by now. The build has been done. This is just T-Mobile purposely trying to hamper sales in favor of other devices with higher prices. I'm actually surprised OnePlus isn't bothered by T-mobile purposely trying to devalue some of their devices.

This is sickening really. Have been tmo family line customer for 20+ years. Asked for courtesy 8T upgrade due to stagnant process on upgrade to 11. Told no.

If can't hear something soon have found matched rate for my 5+ lines with competition, new phones... More secure with 11. 

Waiting on you tmobile...

Userlevel 2
Badge

I submitted a complaint to the FCC, someone from T-Mobile called me back. She didn't have an answer, wanted to pretend this thread didn't exist, and I was whining. Once I told her "Imagine buying a new iPhone, and within 4 months, you're nolonger getting updates. Do you think you could sell that iPhone for a fair price?" She didn't have a answer and just repeated OnePlus Hasn't updated the phone. I told her people who worked on CyanogenMod was able to work these updates out WAY faster, and that wasnt even their day jobs, they did it for donations.

I received the obvious corporate response, so I would recommend sending complaints in. This is the #1 replied to thread at this point, we need to make some noise, or T-Mobile just took us all for 800 dollars.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I submitted a complaint to the FCC, someone from T-Mobile called me back. She didn't have an answer, wanted to pretend this thread didn't exist, and I was whining. Once I told her "Imagine buying a new iPhone, and within 4 months, you're nolonger getting updates. Do you think you could sell that iPhone for a fair price?" She didn't have a answer and just repeated OnePlus Hasn't updated the phone. I told her people who worked on CyanogenMod was able to work these updates out WAY faster, and that wasnt even their day jobs, they did it for donations.

I received the obvious corporate response, so I would recommend sending complaints in. This is the #1 replied to thread at this point, we need to make some noise, or T-Mobile just took us all for 800 dollars.

Someone from the T-Mobile side is watching this thread, you can guarantee it. 

Really it's shocking that either they are withholding the truth or they have a really terrible lack of communication between departments.

At this point I'm with you that going to the FCC maybe the only way to get resolution to the issue, but those who make the next filings need to include Oneplus also. Pressure on both sides will force out the truth.

I just wish they would allow the OnePlus operating system to be managed by oneplus. Or at least offer the OnePlus users or the OnePlus 8 users the ability to get a free OnePlus 8T upgrade so they can get the benefits of Android 11. everybody uses their phones for everything from finance to family to messaging these days they're used for absolutely everything and we can't benefit from the security that Android 11 offers.

I'm waiting on a response from T-Mobile to my message if they're watching this then they haven't message me they haven't said anything to me. And I'd gladly accept an 8T or 8 pro with Android 11.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I will be filing my complaint today. I will be including a link to this thread. I want to make sure the FCC sees the level of incompetence being displayed by T-Mobile. The idea of going to the FCC has been shared on the T-Mobile subreddit. Seems they have several frustrated folks over there. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

*Shakes head*