Question

One Plus 8 android 11 update ETA?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Does anyone have any information on when T-Mobile will release the android 11 update? 

137 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I know some blame the firmware.  Have you tried the MSM Tool to roll it back to an earlier firmware to try and eliminate it being a bad or potentially corrupted update causing the issue?  You could always RMA the device as well through the manufacturers warranty or insurance on the device, if you have that. 

I haven't had any issues, but I also religiously keep no apps in the background and only use the manufacture charger (Samsung refused to replace a phone once “BeCaUsE ItS NoT a SaMsUnG ChArGeR.”) I also restart it once a week. 

The only big issues I have come across is calls act kind of weird for a few seconds (i.e. Hearing someone's voice, THEN the ringing of the placed call?????), but this has also only been 2 times out of a few hundred. I also had the phone randomly reboot directly after installing the update, but none after. 

If your having issues, resetting the device is going to be the first thing any support, T-Mobile or OnePlus, is going to tell you.

a lot of it will depend on the issue popping up. not unheard of for a no longer compatible app to create issues until its also updated to be compatible again. most of the people i know will perform a FR prior to doing any large OS update..then do the update..then load all their stuff back on once they see everything is stable..anything pops up after that then odds are its going to be app related. most manufacturers when doing their testing are doing it on fully stock devices with zero added on apps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I know some blame the firmware.  Have you tried the MSM Tool to roll it back to an earlier firmware to try and eliminate it being a bad or potentially corrupted update causing the issue?  You could always RMA the device as well through the manufacturers warranty or insurance on the device, if you have that. 

I haven't had any issues, but I also religiously keep no apps in the background and only use the manufacture charger (Samsung refused to replace a phone once “BeCaUsE ItS NoT a SaMsUnG ChArGeR.”) I also restart it once a week. 

The only big issues I have come across is calls act kind of weird for a few seconds (i.e. Hearing someone's voice, THEN the ringing of the placed call?????), but this has also only been 2 times out of a few hundred. I also had the phone randomly reboot directly after installing the update, but none after. 

If your having issues, resetting the device is going to be the first thing any support, T-Mobile or OnePlus, is going to tell you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Try factory resetting the device.  I haven’t had any issues with mine feeling sluggish or freezing, but I keep minimal apps and stuff on all of my devices.  

Decided to factory reset and start from scratch and it started freezing up again. I have to restart the phone daily to keep it from freezing. :rage:

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I'm having the same issue. Phone keeps freezing randomly

Try factory resetting the device.  I haven’t had any issues with mine feeling sluggish or freezing, but I keep minimal apps and stuff on all of my devices.  

I think this new update sabotage T-Mobile OnePlus 8 phones. I can't do s### without it keep freezing

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

seeing the same temp reports over at V..you might attempt a cache dump to see if it fixes it or not.. are any apps now showing to be draining a lot more battery than before the update?

So I just had android 11 drop last night. Be weary though bc my phone now gets excessively hot doing mundane things like browsing the web. 

Yup, just gave them an earful.  Gave some lame excuse about the network.

Man you were Soo eager to prove him wrong you jumped right out the window with this stupid screenshot as if it meant something.

It was pretty clear he referred to the Always On Display aspect of the ambient display. He even said "Always On". 

Maybe next time put some thought into your posts...

No always on display. The biggest requested feature that folks were looking for in android 11 for oneplus and they didn't include it

Yup, I guess they decided that the most looked forward to feature and probably one of the coolest features should be axed from all TMobile OnePlus 8s. This goes to show that they do read these forums and they do know what we want and what we are looking forward to. Because they rip it. 

This is absolute bull****. How in the world can a feature like AOD be problematic to a carrier version vs an OEM device? That's utterly absurd. There is absolutely zero reason to remove this feature from our devices and yet it remind for the OEM.

I'll tell you exactly what happened. Tmobile doesn't want to support calls about battery issues and  the idiots who call in and say "why won't my phone turn off". So they axed the feature.

I'm pissed. I'm done with tmobile.

No always on display. The biggest requested feature that folks were looking for in android 11 for oneplus and they didn't include it

Userlevel 2

Bad news (potentially, I could just be dumb) but I finished the update and still do not see the shelf feature, or do I see always on for ambient display. What even is included in this update, why the missing features, and is this yet another poorly veiled attempt to push us to buy the 8T?

Please, give me something here. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

whoot there it is

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I own both a T-Mobile OnePlus 8 and T-Mobile OnePlus 8T, my Wife has the regular 8 where I have the 8T.  I personally find this delay entirely unacceptable and arbitrary.  More should complain, and “it comes out, when it comes out” is not acceptable.  

I gave her the 8 when I picked up the 8T, and feel bad she’s stuck far behind now with less features.  I had figured it may take a few weeks, maybe a month for her to get Android 11.  

Verizon started kicking theirs out yesterday...going by the usual rule of thumb when it comes to OS update releases (not including if there are any additional issues) it should start getting kicked out by other carriers within the next week or so.

Badge

I own both a T-Mobile OnePlus 8 and T-Mobile OnePlus 8T, my Wife has the regular 8 where I have the 8T.  I personally find this delay entirely unacceptable and arbitrary.  More should complain, and “it comes out, when it comes out” is not acceptable.  

I gave her the 8 when I picked up the 8T, and feel bad she’s stuck far behind now with less features.  I had figured it may take a few weeks, maybe a month for her to get Android 11.  

Badge

I agree with @tyenglish that they are an absolutely massive carrier making billions, therefore they can afford to support devices and release updates very fast. It should be a priority to make sure their users are 1) safe & secure and 2) satisfied. If they don’t want to take on that responsibility, I’m 100% okay with that, but remove any T-Mobile enforced limitations. If they want to control the updates then they need to be quick to release the latest versions. I don’t think that’s an unrealistic expectation. 

@syaoran You may be right that complaining here may not get us anywhere. I truly hope you’re wrong that T-Mobile doesn’t check for user feedback in their community site, but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear they don’t.

-----

Either way, I don’t think there’s much ground to stand on in defending their lack of support. It’s a weird position for them to hold. If their sales were awful and it’s not prudent to prioritize support, that’s fine, just release the phone from the update limitations. We can all easily download the image from OP and install it ourselves, an average user can pull that off without issue. (And if you bought the device direct from OP, this isn’t even an issue.)

I’ve heard people make the argument that if you want quick updates get a Pixel device. But that’s not a solution, nor does it address the issue. It changes the subject. It seems a self-fulfilling prophecy that non-Pixel/iPhone devices are subject to archaic carrier update policies, just because. The result is people like me (and probably @tyenglish) will never consider buying a phone from a carrier again, so it’s in their best interest to change the way they go about device support.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The trophy and rankings here don’t mean anything to me.  There are a lot of awesome and helpful people here, which is the point of this place.  A customer to customer forum for the most part.  

Most manufacturers guarantee 2 years of support for the device.  They don’t guarantee you an update every month or the latest Android build as soon as it’s available.  If you want that level of updates, the Pixel devices are your only options.  Your devices will get the update when it is ready.  The people who handle Cyanogen, AOSP, and those other ROM’s for devices do so, because that is a big source of income for them.  They are software developers that enjoy tech, just like the rest of us and in some cases, even more.  That’s why sometimes I end up buying 6 or more devices in a year.  Those developers also release software with plenty of disclaimers and sometimes it takes a build a few releases to get the bugs worked out.  They need to release the build because they need the feedback.  OnePlus does not!  OnePlus has the FUT Program for devices sold by OnePlus and for devices sold by T-Mobile. If you spent a little time on the OnePlus boards, you might have actually had the opportunity to apply to be a FUT member.  I am for 3 current devices, two of with are T-Mobile firmware versions.   

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

i have yet to see it kicked out with any carriers here in the U.S...so either that means theyre all dragging feet….or theres something wrong with the update and its delaying everyone..

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wow.

Absolutely pathetic. Were talking about a phone from 6 months ago being refused updates, while one from 2 years prior is enjoying atleast the latest security updates. It's almost February now.

Compared to 5 pages of complaining?  Maybe the 8’s didn’t sell well enough for T-Mobile to consider it a priority to throw their bloat at and ask OnePlus to get the update out as soon as possible.  With some mentioning issues.  Maybe that is contributing to the update taking longer.  I have an 8 that I haven’t had any issues with, thankfully. 

I have also purchased an 8T though.  With the 8 and 8T, T-Mobile seems to have strayed away from a lot of the more common things on the Global firmware.  Whether or not this is good or bad, is a matter of opinion.  With the 8T, I prefer the OnePlus dialer and texting app over the Google Dialer and Android Messages app in the global.  Features also differ between each device firmware now as well, with features on the 8 Global not being on the 8 from T-Mobile and the same goes for the 8T.  

Ultimately, it will be ready when it is ready.  Complaining on a forum with very little T-Mobile presence isn’t going to be heard by anyone who cares one way or another in T-Mobile or OnePlus.  

Your virtual trophy means nothing to anyone here.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wow.

Absolutely pathetic. Were talking about a phone from 6 months ago being refused updates, while one from 2 years prior is enjoying atleast the latest security updates. It's almost February now.

Compared to 5 pages of complaining?  Maybe the 8’s didn’t sell well enough for T-Mobile to consider it a priority to throw their bloat at and ask OnePlus to get the update out as soon as possible.  With some mentioning issues.  Maybe that is contributing to the update taking longer.  I have an 8 that I haven’t had any issues with, thankfully. 

I have also purchased an 8T though.  With the 8 and 8T, T-Mobile seems to have strayed away from a lot of the more common things on the Global firmware.  Whether or not this is good or bad, is a matter of opinion.  With the 8T, I prefer the OnePlus dialer and texting app over the Google Dialer and Android Messages app in the global.  Features also differ between each device firmware now as well, with features on the 8 Global not being on the 8 from T-Mobile and the same goes for the 8T.  

Ultimately, it will be ready when it is ready.  Complaining on a forum with very little T-Mobile presence isn’t going to be heard by anyone who cares one way or another in T-Mobile or OnePlus.  

You're literally the only one. 

You live in the forums, so nobody here cares of your opinions. Everyone else is very upset. Saying "I will be ready when it's ready" is not an acceptable answer. OnePlus has already released the update and I've already spoken to someone at TMobile via a FCC complaint. 

You may be dumb enough to just throw more money at more devices, but some of us actually understand what it takes to push the update.

Riddle me this, why can AOSP, CyanogenMod and other crank out updates in days, from people who work off donations, in mere weeks, not months? TMobile is a major carrier, with a vast amount of resources. The issue is Tmobile takes it upon themselves to handle updates, so they're responsible for them as well. Getting updates out in a timely fashion for devices they sell in a requirement of they want to handle the updates. They're not adding anything other than just abandoning the phone, and if you happened to buy one, your out of luck. They won't take a return, they won't update the phone, and they won't reply here. I'm going to make this my personal blog until someone says something as I'm sure everyone, but you, feels the same way.

5 dollars have been deposited into your account.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Wow.