Question

One way audio on Android 11

• 29 October 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a Pixel 4a 5G (bought through TMobile) with wifi calling enabled (prefer wifi).  Sometimes, I cannot hear audio from incoming callers, but they can hear me.  If I disable wifi (forcing the call to cellular) the audio problem is fixed and I can communicate.  Once audio is working on a call, I can re-enable wifi and audio continues working.

Multiple people are having this problem, both with Android 11 and now with Android 12.  See this bug:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/183979330

Most of the reports are from people with T-Mobile service.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

This happens sometimes on non-Pixel phones, too.

I have an S20FE that exhibits this on wifi - also dropped calls - but is fine on cell network making the same call from the same place.

Sometimes it takes a wifi off/on to force the connection to be re-established “cleanly” and every once in a while a reset of the phone is what gets back to good.

Out of curiosity - is there anything you have observed about this behavior:

• What percentage of the time do you experience this?
  • Is it always after the phone has been on a certain amount of time?
  • Does turning wifi off then on again get you back to a normal call via wifi?
  • Does a restart clear it (return you to consistently acceptable wifi calling)?
Userlevel 1
Badge

If I am on a call with one way audio, turning off wifi during the call fixes the audio.  Once audio is working, I can turn wifi back on and the call continues properly.  Restarting the phone has seemed to fix the issue, at least temporarily.

My phone just upgraded to Android 12, and I have not yet experienced the issue since the upgrade.  Knock on wood.

Userlevel 1
Badge

One week with Android 12, and I have not had the one way audio issue.  If it is not fixed, it is at least occurring less often now.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So, after three weeks of Android 12 happiness (for this issue), I got hit.  In this case, the WiFi was at an airport and I had bluetooth earbuds in use.  As usual, the caller could hear me, but I could not hear them.  With A11, I used to hit the problem almost daily, so it seems improved if not actually fixed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So, something has changed and now I am back to one way audio quite often again.  Same symptoms: start a call on wifi and can’t hear other side, switch off wifi and then can hear.

I have the same issue on my OnePlus 7Pro. One way audio ONLY when using T-mobile wifi calling. I can switch to using my Google voice app and/or Teams phone and I get great 2 way audio. Mid call I can turn wifi off and 2 way audio works. 

Anyone have a solution yet?

++ 
I have exactly this issue.  Pixel 5a, Android 12.

Userlevel 1
Badge

We need to rename this to one-way audio in Android 13.  My Pixel 4a 5G upgraded 8/15 and the problem is still present.