One way audio problems

Badge

I've been having intermittent 1-way audio problems for the last several months. (I can't hear the other person but they can hear me.) I am *not* using WIFI calling.

There were times when it would happen multiple times in a day. Then it totally went away. Now it's happening again, but less frequent -- probably 1x-2x/week instead of multiple times per day.

It happens from multiple locations.

My device is an LG G4 Marshmallow, standard T-Mobile firmware. (ie, No custom ROMs)

I have tried with VOLTE both on and off...it seems to happen either way, although it seems to be less frequent when VOLTE is turned on. Of course, the issue being intermittent in nature, it is difficult to be sure that VOLTE on/off is having an impact.

Is anyone else having this problem or have suggestions for resolving?

T-mobile is sending me a replacement device. I have mixed feelings on the odds of that helping, but will try it out.

Thanks!

Marc

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hey @marcaronson408‌ I'd like to help clear up these audio troulbes you're having. Does this happen when you're calling a specific numbers? Also, does this happen right away, or after you've been on the call for a while? Let me know if the replacement phone fixed this for you and we can continue with some other steps. Thanks.

Badge

Hi Mike, the replacement phone did not solve the problem. It is not specific to a phone number. It can happen at any time on the call.

I called 611, but we are back to square one. They are asking engineering to check out the towers in my area. The reality check is:

• They already did this and did not find a problem.
  • It has happened to me in multiple locations including Cupertino, San Francisco and Sonoma.

I am told that once they come back with a clean bill of health on the tower, they will escalate it to someone else -- that they will call me back Thursday evening.

It has been going on for 2 months now. I am discouraged that we are back to doing what has already been tried. I am open to carrying around some diagnostic equipment to help troubleshoot this as I do understand the intermittent issues are difficult to solve.

I suspect it has something to do with the Marshmallow update.

If there is anything you can do to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Marc

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Okay. Thanks for letting me know. Intermittent issues like this are tricky, but not impossible to get a handle on. Since it's happening in multiple areas and you've already replaced the phone, the engineering ticket would be the best route.

I'd never ask you to lug around a suitcase full of diagnostic equipment. (That's not the most conventional way of troubleshooting.) What can help is keeping track of some specifics. Dates, times, numbers, and locations you've gone to when this happens should be enough. I understand that's not the easiest thing to track, but examples this detailed will help our engineers narrow down what's going on.

What I can do is run this by some of my internal folks to have this checked on your phone. I sent you a private message you can get to by clicking this link: https://support.t-mobile.com/inbox

Reply with the information listed there and I'll pass it along to have this looked at further. This way, we'll tackle the phone side and the network side. I want to give you a heads up, I have a feeling this will need to be handled with the ticket, but I'm willing to have your phone looked at too.

Badge

Mike, wanted to let you know that T-mobile support contacted me on Friday. They said the ticket is still with engineering -- no new info. I am still having problems with the service.

Mar

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Okay, thanks for keeping me posted. We will need to wait on engineering to update that ticket for you. My apologies you're still having trouble, but I'm glad you have the ticket filed.

Badge

Unfortunately, I still have not received any communication back on this issue.

The problem is happening less often now, but that has happened before. (ie, Problem stops happening for a while, then starts happening again.)

I think that T-Mobile is a very progress company and, in general, does a good job of standing behind its products and services.

Unfortunately, in this instance, I do not think T-Mobile has lived up to its normal standard.

My experience with 611 on this specific issue has not been useful.

Is there some way I can get connected directly with someone who will work with me to bring this to full resolution?

Marc

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Oh boy. That's no good. Since you've already filed the ticket, we'd need to look at the what our engineers found in order to get you pointed in the right direction. Speaking with Tech Support or our T-Force team would be the best bet on finding the ticket, and getting more info about this issue. I suggest giving T-Force a crack at this so you don't have to call. If you have a Twitter or FB account, you can use the links below to shoot them a message and have them give you the rundown on the ticket's status.

Did this issue ever get resolved? I’m having the same issue. Never had the problem before a month or so ago. It is so frustrating. They tried to get me to upgrade to another phone but expected me to pay out of pocket. 

I have given them specie date time and numbers and nothing helps.

Badge

I have started experiencing the same / similar problem..   Incoming OR outgoing calls.  I can hear it connect “the tone”  and see the timer clicking up but can’t hear them at all.   The first time I wrote it off to being a bluetooth oddity, but the last  ½ dozen times it’s happened I was  NOT on Bluetooth.  In fact, today when it happened I turned BT OFF.  no luck.   the ONLY thing that fixes it is a power-cycle.

I’ve got a Note20 5g  for reference…  and it happens all over town so IDT it’s a tower issue.

I'm also having the same problem with my Samsung S20 FE 5G. I purchased my device the end of November 2020 and a month into having it the problem started & still hasn't been fixed.  Anytime I receive a phone call (not Wi-Fi calling) the person on the other end can't hear me but I can hear them just fine. This happens every call (Incoming & Outgoing) at all times of the day. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

are you by chance using anything in addition like Google Voice for calls etc? and does the same thing happen once you are connected to wifi and using wifi calling?

are you by chance using anything in addition like Google Voice for calls etc? and does the same thing happen once you are connected to wifi and using wifi calling?

Who are you asking?

Well in my case if anyone can help.  I don't use Wi-Fi calling or Wi-Fi so my issue is happening with my phones Data not Wi-Fi 

Hello @marcaronson408‌ I'd prefer to help clear up these sound troulbes you're having. Does this happen when you're calling a particular numbers? Likewise, does this happen immediately, or after you've been on the require some time? Inform me as to whether the trade telephone fixed this for you and we can proceed for certain different advances. Much obliged.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

do you by chance have access to wifi in order to try wifi calling to see if it works and can cover you until the issue is figured out?

Badge

I am also having the one way audio issue. The other party can hear me, but I can't hear them. 

VoLTE. Harrisburg PA area, Note 20 Ultra 5G.

Power cycle fixes the issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

try changing to 4G..then restart the phone and test it for a day or so call wise. see if things improve or not.