Question

oneplua 8 updatea

• 11 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

Having bought my OnePlus at tmobile I was greatly discouraged to learn of the carrier specific software. When will we get the lineage 11 update that everyone else already is getting on unlocked OnePlus phones?

Also, if I pay my phone off and unlock it, am I free to flash the real OnePlus software on my phone and still use tmobile? Otherwise I don't even want it. 

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I wouldn't expect the Oxygen OS update to Android 11 until after the 8T launches.  I am not sure when OnePlus will push the final update but the last beta still has some room for improvement. 

If you pay it off, you can then get it unlocked.  XDA has a tutorial on how to convert it.  With each new device, the conversion process has gotten more challenging.  You need to unlock the bootloader to convert the OnePlus 8.  Once converted, it is still perfectly fine to use on T-Mobile. 

Badge

Thanks. 8m not worried about difficulty. As long as it's possible. Otherwise what's the point. I specifically bought it because I knew how developer friendly it was only 5o find out t_mobile raped it of everything friendly.

Userlevel 1

Having bought my OnePlus at tmobile I was greatly discouraged to learn of the carrier specific software. When will we get the lineage 11 update that everyone else already is getting on unlocked OnePlus phones?

Also, if I pay my phone off and unlock it, am I free to flash the real OnePlus software on my phone and still use tmobile? Otherwise I don't even want it. 

I paid my phone off fully and I'm considering the exact same thing because screw TMobile and screw the crap that they've done with this phone. I know for a fact at the very least that they are cutting features out that everybody else is getting (looking at you Shelf, and unnecessarily delayed A11 update!!!) . They need to keep their hands off of it, I'm going to shout it from the rooftops and on any form post that I find on any website involving getting this or any phone from T-Mobile to just not bother, but from manufacturer unlocked and save the hassle. It's one thing if you're getting a cheap, poor quality phone. It's one thing if you're making payments on the device. But if you buy a phone outright, fully paid in cash, they should keep their hands off of it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

you purchase a carrier variant then you are already accepting that it will be missing certain abilities/functions..as well as accepting the fact that it will contain carrier bloat.. this wont be changing any time soon.